2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
My friend and I were talking about the leafs D today at work (he's a leafs fan)

This trade was discussed

To the Leafs

Chris Tanev, RD, Age 29 ($4.45M 2021/22UFA)

To Vancouver

Nikita Zaitsev, RD, Age 27 ($4.5M 2024/25 UFA)

Andreass Johnsson, LW, Age 24 ($788K 2019/20 RFA)

Who says no?

As a Canucks fan I'd happily take Johnsson and hope Zaitsev rebounds back to his Offenisve ways (he was taken off Torontos PP) and also maybe create a Tryamkin/Zaitsev pairing?

What you guys think?

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

This trade was discussed

To the Leafs

To Vancouver

Who says no?

As a Canucks fan I'd happily take Johnsson and hope Zaitsev rebounds back to his Offenisve ways (he was taken off Torontos PP) and also maybe create a Tryamkin/Zaitsev pairing?

What you guys think?
Na...I'd rather see if there was a better deal for Tanev...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This trade was discussed

To the Leafs

To Vancouver

Who says no?

What you guys think?

I would require (at least) a #1 pick to take Zaitsev and that contract and don’t value Johnsson as being worth a #1 pick so that’s a negative value package ... would be better to just put Tanev on waivers. So no, not a good deal.

If we included Gudbranson ... maybe.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Johnsson is good and someone I would target to buy low if Toronto can't afford him, especially with the Baertschi injury. But, yeah Zaitsev is crap, their version of Gudbranson but just with longer term on their contract.

Johnsson + pick for Tanev, I'd do it at this point.

Reactions: MS

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
That's not quite correct. If he's got an injury, and is put on the LTIR, than the cap hit treated the same as any other contract on LTIR (See Chris Pronger).
Maybe it’s just that I’m basing it off the fact that Marleau is one of the healthiest guys in the NHL over like the last decade.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Johnsson is good and someone I would target to buy low if Toronto can't afford him, especially with the Baertschi injury. But, yeah Zaitsev is crap, their version of Gudbranson but just with longer term on their contract.

I personally think Zaitsev is underperforming especially for his contract, but I think with more icetime and some PP time he would actually rebound pretty nicely. In a few years $4.5M won't look like an awful cap hit either with the cap going up. Johnsson I think would explode with Petey and Brock and would allow a Leivo-Horvat-Goldobin line which I would also really like to see.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

This trade was discussed

To the Leafs

To Vancouver

Who says no?

What you guys think?

I’d say no to that. With Tanev gone, you’d have Stecher or Zaitsev as the top pairing RD and that would be dangerous......especially with inevitable injuries. Canucks need to keep Tanev unless they are receiving a equal or superior young right dman in return.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Trading Tanev without receiving an equal or superior right handed defenseman in return would be fatal to this team. I love Stecher but there’s no way that he should be a team’s top pairing RD. Can you imagine who would be our top pairing RD if Stecher went down? If you trade Tanev, would the plan be to sign Tyler Myers at all costs? (and since he would hold all the bargaining power in this case, would you be willing to accept what would likely be unfavorable term and money?).

If you can’t find an adequate replacement top pairing RD, then how does this affect our entire defense? How would this affect Markstrom (who seems to have taken another step) or the developing Demko?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Michael Ferland and Vancouver:

Question for you guys:

I know many of you don’t like the idea of the Canucks going after Ferland (I’m undecided.....I want to see how the Canucks’ defense looks without Edler, and with Hughes in March, before I make a decision about what I’d like to see up front.....Baertschi’s long term health is also something I’m thinking about), but my question is why?

1) Ferland, in a lot of ways, would be exactly what this team needs.

2) Ferland won’t come cheap, but he skates well enough to still be an effective player in his early 30’s. Ferland will be 27 when he signs a new contract. A 4 or even 5 year deal wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world would it?

IF Hutton and the soon-to-be joining Hughes can prove that they can keep the Canucks’ defense afloat (and solid) even without Edler, then why not go after Ferland in the offseason?

(To be honest however, I do have reservations about moving on from Edler, although the phrase “no guts no glory” is somewhat applicable here).

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Trading Tanev without receiving an equal or superior right handed defenseman in return would be fatal to this team. I love Stecher but there’s no way that he should be a team’s top pairing RD. Can you imagine who would be our top pairing RD if Stecher went down? If you trade Tanev, would the plan be to sign Tyler Myers at all costs? (and since he would hold all the bargaining power in this case, would you be willing to accept what would likely be unfavorable term and money?).

If you can’t find an adequate replacement top pairing RD, then how does this affect our entire defense? How would this affect Markstrom (who seems to have taken another step) or the developing Demko?

lol at the idea of our GM trading Tanev for an "equal or superior" RH defenseman.

Question for you guys:

I know many of you don’t like the idea of the Canucks going after Ferland (I’m undecided.....I want to see how the Canucks’ defense looks without Edler, and with Hughes in March, before I make a decision about what I’d like to see up front.....Baertschi’s long term health is also something I’m thinking about), but my question is why?

2) Ferland won’t come cheap, but he skates well enough to still be an effective player in his early 30’s. Ferland will be 27 when he signs a new contract. A 4 or even 5 year deal wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world would it?

IF Hutton and the soon-to-be joining Hughes can prove that they can keep the Canucks’ defense afloat (and solid) even without Edler, then why not go after Ferland in the offseason?

(To be honest however, I do have reservations about moving on from Edler, although the phrase “no guts no glory” is somewhat applicable here).

A Ferland type player is something the Canucks need...just not Ferland himself. I wouldn't pay top UFA dollar for a guy who has likely maxed out his potential....I'd rather try and pry a guy like Brendan Lemieux or Nick Ritchie....or see what Zack MacEwen can provide.

Reactions: racerjoe

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
lol at the idea of our GM trading Tanev for an "equal or superior" RH defenseman.

A Ferland type player is something the Canucks need...just not Ferland himself. I wouldn't pay top UFA dollar for a guy who has likely maxed out his potential....I'd rather try and pry a guy like Brendan Lemieux or Nick Ritchie....or see what Zack MacEwen can provide.

Fair enough.

1) What do you expect Ferland will receive on the open market?

2) Ferland May have maxed out, but is 20 goals per really that bad? At what age do you expect Ferland to start declining? Do you see him as a Ladd/Lucic type in terms of his decline?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Fair enough.

1) What do you expect Ferland will receive on the open market?

2) Ferland May have maxed out, but is 20 goals per really that bad? At what age do you expect Ferland to start declining? Do you see him as a Ladd/Lucic type in terms of his decline?

I think he'll end up in the $4.5 - $5 million area on a 4-5 year deal. 20 goals isn't bad, but I wouldn't expect him to hit that number consistently without ample PP time, and I'm not sure he's good enough to be on our 1st PP unit. I think he'll end up being a 3rd line player within 1-2 years....which is fine, but I don't think we need him at the inflated UFA price. I'd be just as happy to see what Zack MacEwen has at this level and/or maybe looking elsewhere for a power forward/net front presence.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Question for you guys:

Ferland is a bottom-6 grinder who has put up decent looking numbers by playing with (and dragging down) Gaudreau and Monahan and now Teravainen and Aho for the past couple years.

I’d really prefer that we don’t pay him $6 million to drag down Pettersson, too.

Also that playoff series has really skewed perceptions on him and his physical play in this market. He had 24 PIM last year.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Ferland is a bottom-6 grinder who has put up decent looking numbers by playing with (and dragging down) Gaudreau and Monahan and now Teravainen and Aho for the past couple years.

I’d really prefer that we don’t pay him $6 million to drag down Pettersson, too.

Also that playoff series has really skewed perceptions on him and his physical play in this market. He had 24 PIM last year.

Just curious, who is your trade or FA target?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Don’t know if we could get him, but would make a massive, massive pitch for Mark Stone. $10 million/year +.

Would look at mid-range guys like Silfverberg and they underrated (and fast) Ryan Dzingel.

Would also try for Brandon Tanev as that might kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

On defense, would have a look at Tyler Myers. I don’t love him as a player but he’s the best younger UFA available aside from Karlsson who is 100% not coming here.

Would also look at Nick Jensen as an under-the-radar guy.

Reactions: timw33

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

You didn't ask me, but these are the guys I would extend offers to this offseason:

Defense-

Karlsson, Stralman, Myers. Nick Jensen the backup plan.

Forwards-

Duchene, Panarin, Stone, Skinner. Assuming we strike out...

Dzingel, Nyqvist, Zuccarello, Nelson, Silfverberg, Lee, Hayes, Staal, Donskoi, Connolly, Tanev, Johansson

There are a ton of guys we could sign to upgrade the team. Lots of quality, productive forwards heading to free agency at the moment. The goal should be to sign a pair of wingers, and the Canucks may be able to entice a lot of these guys with the lure of playing on a top line with Pettersson and Boeser. That should give them a good shot at 1-2 of these names...

There are only 3 holes on the Canucks roster, once Hughes mskes the jump. 2 top 6 wingers and a right side D. IMO they shouldn't be looking at the trade market right now. Go after 3 guys on this list.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Don’t know if we could get him, but would make a massive, massive pitch for Mark Stone. $10 million/year +.

Would look at mid-range guys like Silfverberg and they underrated (and fast) Ryan Dzingel.

On defense, would have a look at Tyler Myers. I don’t love him as a player but he’s the best younger UFA available aside from Karlsson who is 100% not coming here.

Stone and Karlsson I don't even consider anymore. They're about as likely to come here as Panarin, read: Not going to happen.

I have mentioned Nick Jensen here before. He would be a good target. I'm also considering Rutta and Heed as depth RHDs.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Myers. That Dman is going to get paid given the dearth of RHDs on the market. Not worth it.

Didn't think of Brandon Tanev. Interesting option. Dzingel and Silvferberg would also be good.

Any trade targets?

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

I think that 10 million for stone is steep, maybe he is emerging star but I wouldn’t want to pay him more then 7. I bet he ends up getting 8.25 x 5 from a team he wants to play for

I also don’t see Nick Jensen slipping through Detroit’s fingers they need defense as bad as we do

Biggest under the radar target I’m interested in is Anders Lee

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You didn't ask me, but these are the guys I would extend offers to this offseason:

Defense-

Karlsson, Stralman, Myers. Nick Jensen the backup plan.

Forwards-

Duchene, Panarin, Stone, Skinner. Assuming we strike out...

Dzingel, Nyqvist, Zuccarello, Nelson, Silfverberg, Lee, Hayes, Staal, Donskoi, Connolly, Tanev, Johansson

There are a ton of guys we could sign to upgrade the team. Lots of quality, productive forwards heading to free agency at the moment. The goal should be to sign a pair of wingers, and the Canucks may be able to entice a lot of these guys with the lure of playing on a top line with Pettersson and Boeser. That should give them a good shot at 1-2 of these names...

There are only 3 holes on the Canucks roster, once Hughes mskes the jump. 2 top 6 wingers and a right side D. IMO they shouldn't be looking at the trade market right now. Go after 3 guys on this list.

I'm weary of bringing in 3 mid to high priced FAs. That spells disaster to me. My preference is for 1 or 2 FA additions and 1 or 2 trades.

I hope they go after Hoffman and Heinen to shore up the LW position.

Donskoi, Johansson, Dzingel and Sifverberg are the most interesting names of that secondary forward set to me.

Really like the Tanev idea.

Nyquist I'd stay away from.

Where does E. Staal play here and how much do you give him?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Go big or go home should be the theme of free agency. This team needs impact players more than anything to add to the current core. Hard to draft/develop/trade for top end talent so if they make it to free agency you better be ready to butter up and back up that brinks truck

I wouldn't spend any money on depth players unless it's 1 year deals after all the July 1st dust has settled. If you can't produce in house options for those depth roles something is terribly wrong. This organization is already spending too much on depth forwards and bottom pairing defenseman (wouldn't even call Gudbranson that at this point though).

Big no to Ferland and the anchor contract he will receive. I'd much rather give MacEwen an extended look next year (at the same age Ferland had 15 points in 32 games in the AHL before a call up to the NHL).

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I think he'll end up in the $4.5 - $5 million area on a 4-5 year deal. 20 goals isn't bad, but I wouldn't expect him to hit that number consistently without ample PP time, and I'm not sure he's good enough to be on our 1st PP unit. I think he'll end up being a 3rd line player within 1-2 years....which is fine, but I don't think we need him at the inflated UFA price. I'd be just as happy to see what Zack MacEwen has at this level and/or maybe looking elsewhere for a power forward/net front presence.

Canucks need more skill more than adding more beef.

I would also like to see them give Zack MacEwan a shot to play as the physical winger that Ferland would be and use the extra cap space to sign a better skilled top 6 winger (specially with Baertschi's career in limbo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad