Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
As previously stated, I think Woo will get a legit chance with the Canucks. At least the 7th D man for a season, jumping up and down into Utica.

Yeah,Woo has a skillset which will allow him to spot in as a safe bottom pairing D-man when he's ready for NHL duty and hopefully work his way up the lineup from there.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
As previously stated, I think Woo will get a legit chance with the Canucks. At least the 7th D man for a season, jumping up and down into Utica.
Hes PROJECTING well Billy, still a LONG road ahead to the NHL for him, as we have seen with OTHER prospects

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
They’ve received the icetime they’ve deserved.
And more. On merit, both belong in the ECHL.

Now is where I slyly enter and say "I wanted Hague > Lind".... but I'm still not 100% that he is a washout. I think Gadjovich still has decent 4th line potential.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Woo was considered a mid to late first round pick last year until injuries derailed his season. I don’t mind the pick at 37 and think he has a chance to play. He was one of the younger players in the draft.

Don’t mind a bit of a throwback player with a physical edge on this team that has been soft for many years either.

Here's hoping he becomes Bieksa-lite.

We haven't had a defenceman like that since.... well Juice.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Tue Dec 18

AHL

Utica 4 Charlotte 3 (OT)
Demko 33 saves on 36 shots

Brendan Gaunce (7) ASST: Guillaume Brisebois (5), Jesse Graham (8)
Evan McEneny (3) ASST: Brendan Gaunce (5), Zack MacEwen (11)
Reid Boucher (15) ASST: Lukas Jasek (9), Tanner Kero (16)
Darren Archibald (8) ASST: Brendan Gaunce (6)

S_C

Reactions: lindgren

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Here's hoping he becomes Bieksa-lite.

We haven't had a defenceman like that since.... well Juice.

Where does this Bieksa comparison come from

Hes nowhere near as tough or gritty as juice, the guy has been in one fight his entire dub career

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Gaunce is certainly making a case that he's too good for the AHL. Now he just needs to make a case to stay in the NHL.

I don't think he had an opportunity this season, though. The offseason free agents were going to be in the lineup no matter what, so Schaller with his 5 assists, -4 and CF% of 45.6 in 29 games plays in the NHL while Gaunce with his 2 goals, 1 assist, +3 and CF% of 54.1 in 3 games goes to the AHL.

Yes, the stats are an extremely small sample for Gaunce and so are misleading and don't take into account past performance. But realistically, does anyone think Schaller actually earned his spot on the team over Gaunce? Does anyone think that the Canucks would have fewer points this season with Gaunce in the lineup instead of Schaller? Was there anything actually accomplished by that signing?

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I don't think he had an opportunity this season, though. The offseason free agents were going to be in the lineup no matter what, so Schaller with his 5 assists, -4 and CF% of 45.6 in 29 games plays in the NHL while Gaunce with his 2 goals, 1 assist, +3 and CF% of 54.1 in 3 games goes to the AHL.

Yes, the stats are an extremely small sample for Gaunce and so are misleading and don't take into account past performance. But realistically, does anyone think Schaller actually earned his spot on the team over Gaunce? Does anyone think that the Canucks would have fewer points this season with Gaunce in the lineup instead of Schaller? Was there anything actually accomplished by that signing?
Agreed, nice post. Time for management to cut their mistakes, learn from it, try and get anything for Schaller and allow Gaunce back up to get the shot hes earned

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

No Schaller didn't. Gaunce is better

I dont have an issue with it though because a bottom 5 team shouldn't be satisfied with its worst players from the past seasons. If all it does is light a fire under Gaunce Granlund Gagner Goldobin Boucher then that is accomplishing something.......these are not core players they have to be at their best at all times.

Iget the feeling from Gaunce he will find a way back in and i like that he's getting some confidence back playing C in Utica

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

The argument isn't just Gaunce vs Schaller - the roster is still full once you take him out. It's about Gaunce vs Beagle, or Gaunce vs Motte, or Gaunce vs Granlund. I'd have him in, but it's not so simple. Especially once Baertschi is back.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Maybe Gaunce is improving because of the extra depth. We did not see much improvement the last couple year despite opportunities.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gaunce is one of at least six forwards in Utica, who'll bring a lot more to the table than Schaller who can't even get on the ice anymore. In fact when Sutter and Baertschi return, Jimbo is going to have some decisions to make.

The easiest decision I guess is to farm out Gaudette and put Schaller on waivers....after all, they're apparently willing to pay Gagner $3m a season to play in the minors. Problem is, Gaudette is playing far too well right now to send down. A trade brewing?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Gaunce is one of at least six forwards in Utica, who'll bring a lot more to the table than Schaller who can't even get on the ice anymore. In fact when Sutter and Baertschi return, Jimbo is going to have some decisions to make.

The easiest decision I guess is to farm out Gaudette and put Schaller on waivers....after all, they're apparently willing to pay Gagner $3m a season to play in the minors. Problem is, Gaudette is playing far too well right now to send down. A trade brewing?

Waiving Schaller is fine by me. I do have to say that, notwithstanding being overpaid and not producing offensively, Schaller has done a decent job defensively and I very much doubt that there are 6+ forwards currently in Utica who could outplay him right now at the NHL level.

The only trade commodity at centre is Sutter and any deal is unlikely to happen until the approach of the Feb 25 trade deadline, especially given that Sutter is still not back yet from a lengthy injury.

Gaudette still needs noticeable improvement in his offensive skills to fill the 3C role.

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
Tue Dec 18

AHL

Utica 4 Charlotte 3 (OT)
Demko 33 saves on 36 shots

Brendan Gaunce (7) ASST: Guillaume Brisebois (5), Jesse Graham (8)
Evan McEneny (3) ASST: Brendan Gaunce (5), Zack MacEwen (11)
Reid Boucher (15) ASST: Lukas Jasek (9), Tanner Kero (16)
Darren Archibald (8) ASST: Brendan Gaunce (6)

S_C
Demko's played really well ever since his cold start, really excited to see what happens next year with our goalie situation.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Demko's played really well ever since his cold start, really excited to see what happens next year with our goalie situation.

"since his cold start" ? What exactly do you mean by this?

He had a concussion out of Vancouver training camp and missed the first 17 games of the AHL season. Once cleared to play he sat one out - 18. the Comets have played 13 games since that point and he has played 10 of them. The most goals he has surrendered in a single game is 3:
2-2-3-3-3-2-2-2-2-3

Where is the "cold start"?

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
"since his cold start" ? What exactly do you mean by this?

He had a concussion out of Vancouver training camp and missed the first 17 games of the AHL season. Once cleared to play he sat one out - 18. the Comets have played 13 games since that point and he has played 10 of them. The most goals he has surrendered in a single game is 3:
2-2-3-3-3-2-2-2-2-3

Where is the "cold start"?
Probably meant in training camp and pre season where he didnt look all that good

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unfortunately those posters who complained that Jimbo's off-season UFA binge would only bring in players who'd get in the way of younger guys, has been borne out. The only guy who's really carved out a role for himself is Roussel, who essentially slots in for Dorsett.

As far as Beagle and Schaller are concerned, you'd have trouble convincing me that with Gaudette, Gaunce and maybe even someone like MacEwan or Jasek, the Canucks would be any worse off on ice, at a fraction of the cap-hit.

Reactions: MS

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Gaunce has no offensive creativity and also doesnt have the skill set to be an impact player in the NHL. The only way he can be a full time NHLer if he becomes a monster on faceoffs and a defensive beast. Something like Paul Gaustad. Perfect 4th line C for a contending team.

Reactions: sting101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad