Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Top 5 prospect in Proman's list still tba. Montreal was 6th and our list does look better. Not a accomplishment but there was earlier talk prospect pool was bottom third. But 3 ranking have them at 8, 4 and top 5.

Reactions: Red

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
I have no interest at all in a "ranking system" that gives the Canucks credit for picking Juolevi but does *not* give teams credit for picking vastly superior (so far) players like Tkachuk or McAvoy.

Why would Calgary get credit for drafting the turtle, if he was BPA at that draft position? You have never seen a ranking system that meets your criteria, right?

Sporting News said it was a ranking of prospects. Your preferred ranking is of NHL vets, with years in the league.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Consolidated List of Prospects

KHL

Dmitry Zhukenov, Avtomobilist (Sep 2)
Nikita Tryamkin, Avtomobilist (Sept 2)
Artem Manukyan, Avangard (Sept 1)
Vasili Podkolzin, SKA (Sept 2)

SHL
Nils Hoglander, Rogle (Sept 14)
Arvid Costmar, Linkopings (Sept 14)

Allsvenskan
Linus Karlsson, Karlskrona (Sept 20)

Finland
Toni Utunen, Tappara (Sept 13)
Petrus Palmu, TPS (Sept 14)

Czech
Karel Plasek, Kometa Brno (Sept 13)

OHL (Sep 19)
Ethan Keppen, Flint
Arturs Silovs, Barrie

WHL (Sep 20)
Jett Woo, Calgary
Carson Focht, Calgary

NCAA (Oct 4)
Will Lockwood, Michigan
Tyler Madden, Northeastern
Aidan McDonough, Northeastern
Jack Rathbone, Harvard
Matthew Thiessen, Maine
Jack Malone, Cornell

AHL (Oct 4)

ECHL (Oct 11)

S_C

I thought about opening a "pre-game" thread, but I'll just point out here that, as SC notes above, KHL hockey starts tomorrow. I know that many won't be interested in any of the Russians other than Podkolzin, but I'll enjoy tracking all four.

Manukyan averaged about ten minutes of ice-time per game last season. We'll get a sign as soon as tomorrow as to whether he's moved up in the team hierarchy.

Reactions: Red

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
NJ, NYR, Colorado, LA and Vancouver are the top 5 teams left on Proman's list. NJ and NYR won the lottery. If the Canucks won a top 2 pick they would likely top the list.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I thought about opening a "pre-game" thread, but I'll just point out here that, as SC notes above, KHL hockey starts tomorrow. I know that many won't be interested in any of the Russians other than Podkolzin, but I'll enjoy tracking all four.

Manukyan averaged about ten minutes of ice-time per game last season. We'll get a sign as soon as tomorrow as to whether he's moved up in the team hierarchy.

Wasn't in the lineup or listed as a substitute. Most likely still injured from preseason injury.

Reactions: lindgren

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That's disappointing. Do you know anything about the injury?
Looked like a shoulder or arm injry. Was checked into the boards 2 weeks ago. Got up and went to the bench hunched over, holding arm in tight to his body. I don't think it's super serious.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Looked like a shoulder or arm injry. Was checked into the boards 2 weeks ago. Got up and went to the bench hunched over, holding arm in tight to his body. I don't think it's super serious.

Thanks very much for that info.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I look at our prospect depth and see a team that ranks in the bottom ten in terms of quality.

The scarcity of even AHL-level talent astounds me, especially considering where we've landed in the standings the past few years.

Yet again, there are people who project players solely on their junior numbers and the facts are many of these players hit a wall once they move into professional hockey against men and teams that are there to win.

You'd think as a supposed scouting savant that Jim Benning would acquire more picks to unearth more gems like Gaudette or Tryamkin, but the guy has shown a propensity to play to his weaknesses rather than his strengths.

Not going to start the whole IQ debate again but sometimes you begin to wonder.
Lol saying we have a bottom 10 prospect pool is just hyperbole and frankly not true.

And the bolded is true for literally all prospects

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
41 seconds of ice-time for Podkolzin in his season opener.

Zhukenov didn't play, as far as I could tell.

Tryamkin was pointless and +1 in 18:44. He was tied for third in ice-time among the D, but, oddly, led in shifts with 35.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
41 seconds of ice-time for Podkolzin in his season opener.

Zhukenov didn't play, as far as I could tell.

Tryamkin was pointless and +1 in 18:44. He was tied for third in ice-time among the D, but, oddly, led in shifts with 35.

Yikes, brutal. Hopefully this is a Travis Green / Brock Boeser type situation only, and he goes on to get some decent minutes.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Not a good start to the Champions League for Utunen and Tappara. They lost their first two games to Klagenfurt and Biel-Bienne. Utunen played 8 and 10 minutes respectively.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
also, did drance have a blue tick when he worked for the panthers or is that brand new? if the latter, congrats.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
That pretty much means he's finished with the team and will play in Europe until his contract runs out and he's released.
Or it means palmu doesn’t want to try dicking around in Utica again. He knows he is no where near nhl ready and would rather have the full year to play in Finland. If he produces well and shows development, he could just as easily come back next September trying to earn a nhl spot with the knowledge that if he doesn’t at least he’s older/more proven so he should get more rope in the A

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Palmu tryamkin and apparently Goldobin said he would go to KHL etc

Start drafting more North Americans.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Confirmation that Palmu will play in Finland again this upcoming season.

Great use of 1 of Vancouver's 50 contracts. The guy has had 3 years of AHL eligibility just based off AHL/Jr rules. Bombed out early in his 2nd year after only 12 GP and instead of putting his nose to the grindstone and working his ass off to improve upon the reasons he was not game worthy, he conjured up a tale of not being used the right way and then topped it off by saying nobody told him what was expected of him. So, he put his tail between his legs and went back to Finland. Wonder when he will decide to see if he can actually put in a full season over here and determine if he can make it or not.

Should have gone to the ECHL last season instead of Finland. If he was as bad there as he was in Utica, he would have been able to recognize that Finland wouldn't make him a better NA pro prospect.

It's time to cut bait on this pick. Admit he's never going to be a Canuck, not even a passable AHL player. He's still got 2 more ELC years left. He just keeps eating a spot and so many claim Benning can't sign a guy for Utica because he doesn't want to eat up his remaining spots on the 50-man roster. Right.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Palmu tryamkin and apparently Goldobin said he would go to KHL etc

Start drafting more North Americans.
Not sure what this means.....Palmu was a flyer the Canucks took in the sixth round and therefore a longshot the day he was drafted; Goldy was a Sharks first rounder the Canucks traded for; and Tryamkin was drafted in the third round, and likely would be in the lineup today if Willie hadn't screwed up his development.

And Pettersson,Hoglander, Podkolzin, Jasek and even the much maligned Juolevi, are good prospects from Europe.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not sure what this means.....Palmu was a flyer the Canucks took in the sixth round and therefore a longshot the day he was drafted; Goldy was a Sharks first rounder the Canucks traded for; and Tryamkin was drafted in the third round, and likely would be in the lineup today if Willie hadn't screwed up his development.

And Pettersson,Hoglander, Podkolzin, Jasek and even the much maligned Juolevi, are good prospects from Europe.

It means others leagues have stepped up now. It’s like in MMA, Bellator is an alternative to the UFC now. So players can go play in Europe and get playing time and make money. Way more reasons for euros to bolt.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It means others leagues have stepped up now. It’s like in MMA, Bellator is an alternative to the UFC now. So players can go play in Europe and get playing time and make money. Way more reasons for euros to bolt.

Palmu isn't here because of Europe, he isn't here because he sucks.

Also Goldobin has shown a ton of sticktoitiveness to still be here.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Never understood why Pronman referred to his as a farm system ranking. How is the sweet lord to the Canucks have a top 5 farm system when the actual players on the "farm team" aren't productive or conducive to winning? Definitely doesn't make sense to me to call the Utica Comets, who haven't made the playoffs in 3 seasons, and haven't won a playoff game in 5 seasons (since the front office firings in 2015), and haven't really developed any quality NHLers in this same period as a top 5 farm system.

Any prospect or young player ranking is largely driven by the players at the very top....the Canucks have a high end prospect pool, but it's embarrassingly shallow 5 years into a rushed rebuild.

To the people still using "all this without winning the lottery" or "if they won the lottery they'd be #1" - Elias Pettersson being available at 5th overall is akin to winning the lottery...they may not have drafted him had they won the 1st overall pick in 2017. Him being available or getting a player like him at 5 is just as if not more lucky than winning the draft lottery.

Say the Canucks miss the playoffs next year and win a top 3 pick at the lottery....the player they draft with that pick in 3 years time is a PPG powerforward all star caliber player....we'd all be over the moon praising the luck of being able to add a player like that to the group. I ask, because the luck broke for them in 2016 very similarly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad