Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Unlisted (^) prospect Artyom Manukyan's Avangard was shut out 3-0 today in the second game of the KHL finals, so, of course, Manukyan had no points (in 8:10 TOI).

Avangard is down 2-0 in the series.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Unlisted (^) prospect Artyom Manukyan's Avangard was shut out 3-0 today in the second game of the KHL finals, so, of course, Manukyan had no points (in 8:10 TOI).

Avangard is down 2-0 in the series.
Edited and added, thanks Linderson

Reactions: lindgren

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
So Brassards season is done, he was told we would NOT sign him, he had a good playoffs but probably not enough for Canucks to change their minds

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Brassards season is done, he was told we would NOT sign him, he had a good playoffs but probably not enough for Canucks to change their minds
You can add Brassard to the list of d-men the Canucks have taken a flyer on in later rounds and then basically walked away from....guys like Olson, Neill, Gunnarson. Candella...etc.

I suppose the only saving grace is that the Canucks have scooped up free agent d-men like Chatfield, Sautner, Eliot, Teves and Rafferty via the free agent route. And for the most part, they look like depth pieces for Utica at least.

But for once instead of wasting later round picks on slow-developing d-men, they should start loading up on smaller, skilled forwards. Seems to me if the basic talent level is there, somebody has to work out.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
You can add Brassard to the list of d-men the Canucks have taken a flyer on in later rounds and then basically walked away from....guys like Olson, Neill, Gunnarson. Candella...etc.

I suppose the only saving grace is that the Canucks have scooped up free agent d-men like Chatfield, Sautner, Eliot, Teves and Rafferty via the free agent route. And for the most part, they look like depth pieces for Utica at least.

But for once instead of wasting later round picks on slow-developing d-men, they should start loading up on smaller, skilled forwards. Seems to me if the basic talent level is there, somebody has to work out.

They've been drafting D-men too late in the draft, just not enough 2/3/4's used on talented D prospects.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
They've been drafting D-men too late in the draft, just not enough 2/3/4's used on talented D prospects.
Woo is hopefully the start of things to come. Briesy i guess too but not seen as hugely talented, more defensive guy

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Actually, since 2014 the Canucks have drafted defensemen in the 2nd/3rd/4th round at a proportionally far higher rate than any other player position. They've used 4 of 11 picks in that time on defensemen. Even if Benning had been smarter and retained all his picks in those rounds the proportion of defensemen drafted would be relatively high.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Actually, since 2014 the Canucks have drafted defensemen in the 2nd/3rd/4th round at a proportionally far higher rate than any other player position. They've used 4 of 11 picks in that time on defensemen. Even if Benning had been smarter and retained all his picks in those rounds the proportion of defensemen drafted would be relatively high.
So our draft "genius" is actually not so good after all.....I am shocked!!!!!

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
So our draft "genius" is actually not so good after all.....I am shocked!!!!!
In this case, other draft picks and roster moves excepted, he and his scouting staff appear to have made good decisions. Of those 4 players two (Woo and Rathbone) are still prospects and generally considered to be progressing very well and the other two have played NHL games. In any case, I was responding to the assertion that the team hasn't drafted talented defensemen in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds, which upon investigation doesn't appear to be true.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Avangard was shut out again today, 2-0. They're down 3-0 in the KHL finals (the Gagarin Cup). Manukyan had 7:00 TOI.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Artyom Manukyan and Avangard are done, as they lost in overtime today, 3-2, making it a sweep in the Gagarin Cup.

Manukyan had no points. Ice times haven't been posted, that I can see.

It'll be interesting to see if Coach Hartley makes his way back to the NHL after taking Avangard to the finals. I'm guessing Manukyan plays another season in the K before there's a chance he tries North America.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Looks like all the hand wringing about his NHL stint hurting his confidence and de-railing his development turned out to be hogwash. Good for Mikey. Love that kid. He’s gonna be a BEAST for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad