Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So we are looking pretty good prospect wise all of a sudden.

Woo, Podkolzin, Hoglander should all be on the team within 3 years. Then we have a mishmash of Focht, Lockwood, madden, Rathbone, Lind, Juolevi, Brisebois, Chatfield, Gadjovich, Jasek, Keppen MacEwen DiPietro etc. And we have Demko and Hughes as legit Calder candidates right now. And I think Juolevi really will at worst be a 7th D man next year. Not to mention longer shots like Manukyan, Utanen Gunnarson and Palmu.

We have Goldobin and Baertschi in Utica. Tryamkin in Russia. Schaller is playing much better than last year, as are 4 or 5 others. Roussel will be back soon.

We are off to as good a start as could be realistically hoped for, and legitimate prospects pushing for spots. How good is that?!?

Reactions: NuxFan09

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So we are looking pretty good prospect wise all of a sudden.

Woo, Podkolzin, Hoglander should all be on the team within 3 years. Then we have a mishmash of Focht, Lockwood, madden, Rathbone, Lind, Juolevi, Brisebois, Chatfield, Gadjovich, Jasek, Keppen MacEwen DiPietro etc. And we have Demko and Hughes as legit Calder candidates right now. And I think Juolevi really will at worst be a 7th D man next year. Not to mention longer shots like Manukyan, Utanen Gunnarson and Palmu.

We have Goldobin and Baertschi in Utica. Tryamkin in Russia. Schaller is playing much better than last year, as are 4 or 5 others. Roussel will be back soon.

We are off to as good a start as could be realistically hoped for, and legitimate prospects pushing for spots. How good is that?!?

it’s a bit early to say that podz; woo and Hollander will be on the team in 3 years; I mean 2 years ago The post was that juloevi; Lind and briesbois would be on the team.

give them time before claiming the will be on the team

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
dahlen is virtually 2ppg this season yet i doubt his nhl wants him back. dude is a unicorn.

That league really, really sucks.

One realization I’ve come to in the last year or two is that some Euro leagues - the Liiga in particular - are much worse than the ‘AHL equivalent’ we tend to apply to them. And the Allsvenskan might be sub-ECHL calibre.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
That league really, really sucks.

One realization I’ve come to in the last year or two is that some Euro leagues - the Liiga in particular - are much worse than the ‘AHL equivalent’ we tend to apply to them. And the Allsvenskan might be sub-ECHL calibre.

i think it's more they are different, especially from a development perspective. the ahl is a physical and mental challenge to prospects in a way the euro leagues are not, especially for homesick european prospects. the euro leagues are a much better nurturing ground for physically frail but skilled players.

if you have a prospect with a physical game then the ahl is the place to go.

but there are prospects i would say are better off developing (and, hopefully, physically maturing) in the euro leagues.

i believe in years to come we will see more players out of the us development program head to europe and then even chl guys.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Linus Karlsson now has 4 goals and 4 assists for 8 points in 15 games so far in Sweden’s 2nd division. I am not ready to give up on this kid just yet as he is showing dramatic improvement in his D2 season .

Yes I am aware the odds of him making the NHL are remote but Sweden’s 2nd division has a history of producing NHL talent , Dahlen didn’t turn out yes but what about Jesper Bratt, Hampus Lindholm and Filip Forsberg???

Let’s have a little faith

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
it’s a bit early to say that podz; woo and Hollander will be on the team in 3 years; I mean 2 years ago The post was that juloevi; Lind and briesbois would be on the team.

give them time before claiming the will be on the team

Agree it’s too early to pencil in Woo and Hog.

Podkolzin is another story. Over 85% of our 1st rounders drafted by this regime have become NHL players by their 4th post draft year. And Pod looks to be one of the better players out of that group so far. I’d say he’s quite safe to project onto the roster by then.

Heavy Pettersson

Nov 3, 2018
Linus Karlsson now has 4 goals and 4 assists for 8 points in 15 games so far in Sweden’s 2nd division. I am not ready to give up on this kid just yet as he is showing dramatic improvement in his D2 season .

Yes I am aware the odds of him making the NHL are remote but Sweden’s 2nd division has a history of producing NHL talent , Dahlen didn’t turn out yes but what about Jesper Bratt, Hampus Lindholm and Filip Forsberg???

Sneaky Pete Do your Dekes worked out too.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

Lindholm was a fulltime NHL player in his D+2 season.

Forsberg scored 0.86 PPG in his D+1 season. In his D+2 season he was 0.72 PPG in the AHL.

Jesper Bratt was a full time NHL player in his D+2 season.

Linus Karlsson is just over 0.5 PPG right now in his D+2 season. He's far behind those players you mentioned in development. You can still have faith, but there's no indication he's gonna be any of those players right now.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
How has Juolevi been in AHL this season?

Is his game mostly offense? Or can he play physical and block some shots, take puck away?

thanks

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
How has Juolevi been in AHL this season?

Is his game mostly offense? Or can he play physical and block some shots, take puck away?

thanks

better to serach his name in the comets thread for game reviews. seems like he is having good and bad games. when he plays well he is showing signs of a complete two way game but his skating is suspect.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Lindholm was a fulltime NHL player in his D+2 season.

Forsberg scored 0.86 PPG in his D+1 season. In his D+2 season he was 0.72 PPG in the AHL.

Jesper Bratt was a full time NHL player in his D+2 season.

Linus Karlsson is just over 0.5 PPG right now in his D+2 season. He's far behind those players you mentioned in development. You can still have faith, but there's no indication he's gonna be any of those players right now.

Well I am going to have faith , and yes your right but my point is that players have came out of Sweden’s 2nd division and with how much Karlsson has improved in His D2 season has me very optimistic

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Well I am going to have faith , and yes your right but my point is that players have came out of Sweden’s 2nd division and with how much Karlsson has improved in His D2 season has me very optimistic

How much has he improved in his D+2 season exactly?

He had 18 points last year, and is on pace for 27 points this year. This is not a huge improvement for what is at best an ECHL-level league. Are there any comparable forwards you can think of who had equivalent production in their D+2 year in Sweden's second league and went on to have successful NHL careers?

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
How much has he improved in his D+2 season exactly?

He had 18 points last year, and is on pace for 27 points this year. This is not a huge improvement for what is at best an ECHL-level league. Are there any comparable forwards you can think of who had equivalent production in their D+2 year in Sweden's second league and went on to have successful NHL careers?

A 12 point improvement is a pretty good improvement if you ask me and who knows he could get more than 27 points , what makes you think it’s like the ECHL ??

My point wasn’t meant to escalate too this extent , what I meant was players from Sweden’s 2nd division have succeeded and I mentioned them above and sometimes it takes players longer to develop . And if it takes Karlsson longer to develop then it might take him longer to develop . If he doesn’t make the NHL he doesn’t make the NHL but it’s early in his career as he is only 19

Look at Victor Oloffson for example ? Buffalo never gave up on him and look how good he is now for Buffalo even tho he is 24 years old . Karlsson will be either over here next year or in a higher division but If you want to get into Semantics with me I am not going there and if you want me to call him a bust at 20 it’s not happening

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

I saw a report that Karlsson has grown from 6'0 to a shade under 6'3. Haven't seen it reported more than once, but if true, that could go a long way in upping his chances at being a match-up centre down the road.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I saw a report that Karlsson has grown from 6'0 to a shade under 6'3. Haven't seen it reported more than once, but if true, that could go a long way in upping his chances at being a match-up centre down the road.
Who knows if Karlsson will turn out...but one thing's for sure, after viewing Dahlen for little more than a season, Benning decided he didn't have an NHL player and cut bait....and I suppose since the Sharks let him go back to Sweden, they're not convinced either.

So the Canucks unloaded a guy they decided would never make it, for a guy who 'could' make it.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
A 12 point improvement is a pretty good improvement if you ask me and who knows he could get more than 27 points , what makes you think it’s like the ECHL ??

My point wasn’t meant to escalate too this extent , what I meant was players from Sweden’s 2nd division have succeeded and I mentioned them above and sometimes it takes players longer to develop . And if it takes Karlsson longer to develop then it might take him longer to develop . If he doesn’t make the NHL he doesn’t make the NHL but it’s early in his career as he is only 19

Look at Victor Oloffson for example ? Buffalo never gave up on him and look how good he is now for Buffalo even tho he is 24 years old . Karlsson will be either over here next year or in a higher division but If you want to get into Semantics with me I am not going there and if you want me to call him a bust at 20 it’s not happening

Oloffson was outproducing Karlsson in a much tougher league at the same age Karlsson is now.

Oloffson - 19 year old season in the SHL: .46ppg
Oloffson - 20 year old season in the SHL: .59ppg
Karlsson - 19 year old season in the second league: .35ppg
Karlsson - 20 year old season in the second league: .53ppg

These two players are not even remotely comparable in their talent level.

No one is saying he's a bust but you started pumping his tires for no reason whatsoever and also provided incorrect information about how he was performing/improving. The truth is that Karlsson is extremely unlikely to ever make it to the NHL.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Nov 1

AHL

Providence at Utica 4pm

NCAA

Michigan at Ohio State 4pm
Lockwood

Boston University at Maine 4pm
Thiessen

Massachusetts at Northeastern 4pm
Madden
McDonough

Cornell at Michigan State 4pm
Malone

Dartmouth at Harvard 4:30pm
Rathbone

OHL

Barrie at Saginaw 4pm
Silovs

Flint at Sarnia 4pm
Keppen

S_C

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Fri Nov 1

AHL

Providence at Utica 4pm

NCAA

Michigan at Ohio State 4pm
Lockwood

Boston University at Maine 4pm
Thiessen

Massachusetts at Northeastern 4pm
Madden
McDonough

Cornell at Michigan State 4pm
Malone

Dartmouth at Harvard 4:30pm
Rathbone

OHL

Barrie at Saginaw 4pm
Silovs

Flint at Sarnia 4pm
Keppen

S_C

It's great that the NCAA season is finally kicking into gear and we (SC) can track all those prospects. I'm hoping that one or two take a big step and give us something to be excited about.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Oloffson was outproducing Karlsson in a much tougher league at the same age Karlsson is now.

Oloffson - 19 year old season in the SHL: .46ppg
Oloffson - 20 year old season in the SHL: .59ppg
Karlsson - 19 year old season in the second league: .35ppg
Karlsson - 20 year old season in the second league: .53ppg

These two players are not even remotely comparable in their talent level.

No one is saying he's a bust but you started pumping his tires for no reason whatsoever and also provided incorrect information about how he was performing/improving. The truth is that Karlsson is extremely unlikely to ever make it to the NHL.

do you have a basis other than these stats to assess the talent of karlsson? i've seen almost no tape of the guy. the reports i have read are that he is talented and has hockey sense and had a late growth spurt and is naturally a defensive centre. the only negative thing about him is that san jose traded him for dahlen within a year of drafting him which signals to me they had cooled off on the guy big time unless they really liked dahlen.

i am sure he's a longshot, but i get the sense the fact he's in the allskevan is being used to draw inferences about his talent. he's there because his club got relegated, which was not his fault. he was a good enough talent to be picked up by an shl team before his growth spurt. it's relatively rare for club teams to move young prospects just to get them in the shl unless they are exceptional talents or their drafting nhl team requests it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's great that the NCAA season is finally kicking into gear and we (SC) can track all those prospects. I'm hoping that one or two take a big step and give us something to be excited about.

agreed,

is utonen hurt? i see he has played 2 games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad