Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Latest report said Rathbone grew to 5'11 and I believe 195lbs.

This is a kid to watch very closely this season. His upside is as high as any defense prospect in the organisation right now. Defensive game started to round out over the course of last season, while he's gotten noticeably stronger too.

THIS is the guy with Torrey Krug upside, not Quinn Hughes.
In the game film I've watched his defensive game looked good. Like Hughes, he can get back to find angles on guys who were well behind him at their blue line and has the skill to make both creative and safe plays in his own zone. PTIB did a write-up that drew about the same conclusions.

Feb 19, 2018
I feel Rathbone is the next Hutton as far as opportunity but with a much higher ceiling.
His skating range is very impressive.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
In the game film I've watched his defensive game looked good. Like Hughes, he can get back to find angles on guys who were well behind him at their blue line and has the skill to make both creative and safe plays in his own zone. PTIB did a write-up that drew about the same conclusions.

Yeah, the college games I saw of Rathbone late last year were encouraging. Very athletic player that will compete, play with a lot of pace and better defensive instincts than he showed in Canuck colours. Not the biggest guy, but strength definitely isn't a concern.

Wouldn't be shocked if he rockets up near the very top of the Canucks prospect list by mid-season. Boom or bust type, but you have to be encouraged by the trajectory of his development.

Reactions: wetcoast

Nov 1, 2011
I see Craig Button was pumping the tires on Rathbone via his Twitter account, after watching him score twice for Harvard. And those goals were something, both filthy snap-shots that totally handcuffed the goalie.

But what stood out for me is Rathbone's wheels.....this kid has some serious hops. I guess the downside is he's only 5'10".....but another high-end offensive d-man who can either lead the rush or enter the zone late and deliver on his scoring chances, is something you can never have too much of.

I guess the only issue is that playing for Harvard, he's going to want to finish his junior year at least and maybe even his senior year. A Harvard degree is nothing to take lightly.

He can go back to Harvard once his playing career is over...you go for one year, you are always welcome back.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So far three games into the Canada-Russia junior challenge series, Podkolzin looks to be pretty much as advertised....skates well and is an absolute bulldog on the puck, but not much finish. Although in fairness, he's made some strong cross-seam passes to his linemates, who've botched them.

Surprised that he got into the lineup tonight against the OHL, after going down with a late injury the night before. But there he was playing his third game in four nights, and at times it showed.

Not too surprising either that the most effective players on the Russian team are the ones currently playing Major Junior in Canada. The smaller NA ice will take some adjustment for guys like Podkolzin, who are playing exclusively on the larger sheet. But it's great that he's getting at lest a few games against the top junior players in Canada.

Reactions: lindgren

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Nov 8

AHL

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at Utica 4pm

ECHL

Fort Wayne at Kalamazoo 4pm

NCAA

Minnesota at Michigan 3:30pm
Lockwood

Brown at Cornell 4pm
Malone

Princeton at Harvard 4pm
Rathbone

Northeastern at Merrimack 4pm
Madden
McDonough

Maine at UMass Lowell 4pm
Thiessen

OHL

Mississauga at Flint 4pm
Keppen

WHL

Tri-City at Calgary 6pm
Woo
Focht

S_C

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Man oh Man....would I like to see Quinn Hughes and Jack Rathbone as a tandem patrolling the Canuck blueline. It would be an adventure every shift, but just think of the entertainment value.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Man oh Man....would I like to see Quinn Hughes and Jack Rathbone as a tandem patrolling the Canuck blueline. It would be an adventure every shift, but just think of the entertainment value.

A good thought, except they both play on the left side and shoot L.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The best news that I can report out of Utica so far this season is that Mike DiPietro is looking pretty good. He's ahead of where I thought he would be at this early stage.

Reactions: Red and lindgren

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Nov 8

AHL

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton 2 Utica 1
DiPietro 29 saves on 31 shots

Eliot 1 (Lind) (PP)

ECHL

Fort Wayne 6 Kalamazoo 2

NCAA

Minnesota 1 Michigan 1 (2OT)
Lockwood 0 points, even

Brown 1 Cornell 4
Malone 0 points, even

Princeton 0 Harvard 3
Rathbone 3 assists, +3

Northeastern 1 Merrimack 1 (OT)
Madden 0 points, even
McDonough 0 points, even

Maine 1 UMass Lowell 1 (OT)
Thiessen did not play

OHL

Mississauga 3 Flint 5
Keppen 1 goal (6th), +2

WHL

Tri-City 4 Calgary 3 (SO)
Woo 1 assist, +1
Focht 1 goal (11th), 1 assist, -1 (didn't score on his SO attempt) (selected 1st star)

S_C

Reactions: vanuck and lindgren

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
A good thought, except they both play on the left side and shoot L.

Also they are both the type of Dmen that would best be paired with a complete opposite type of player like Benn.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
DiPietro with another good game tonight, is probably already taking over the #1 goalie spot in Utica even though the solid veteran MacIntyre has played fairly well to start the season, too.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
DiPietro with another good game tonight, is probably already taking over the #1 goalie spot in Utica even though the solid veteran MacIntyre has played fairly well to start the season, too.
It’s impressive considering you expect a bit of a learning curve for 1st year goalies. Schneider and demko ( who had the advantage of 3 years of college) both took half a year in the pros before figuring things out and didn’t really take off until the following season. Dipietro is a bit younger than either and jumping straight from the chl.

Reactions: Blue and Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad