OT: 2019 OT Non-Ski Resort Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I am currently planning a road trip through the Kootenays for mid-May, looking for input. Anyone here live in the Castlegar/Nelson/Creston/Cranbrook area? Need advice on everything; what sights to see, where to stay (for cheap, I'm guessing it'll be too cold to camp), what routes to take, which areas I can pass over.

Ideally I would like to take the Crowsnest Highway all the way to Cranbrook, work my way up through the Rockies and then come back down the #1. Though I fear that will be too much driving for 7-8 days, not leaving enough time to see the sights. Am I better off heading north up Kootenay Lake and coming back through Vernon? Would leave more time to explore each area.

I'm looking for ideas about outdoor activities, which golf courses to play, which trails to hike, which lookouts to check out. Don't care much for the arts & culture scene, except maybe some breweries along the way.
No Kootenay Canucks fans around here?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's weird. I am a pretty big fan of David Fincher, and a big fan of true crime stuff in general, and everything about Zodiac seems like it would be right up my alley.

But it did nothing for me, and is probably the only Fincher film where years after watching it I really can't remember any scenes from it.

Maybe I need to watch it again.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I am currently planning a road trip through the Kootenays for mid-May, looking for input. Anyone here live in the Castlegar/Nelson/Creston/Cranbrook area? Need advice on everything; what sights to see, where to stay (for cheap, I'm guessing it'll be too cold to camp), what routes to take, which areas I can pass over.

Ideally I would like to take the Crowsnest Highway all the way to Cranbrook, work my way up through the Rockies and then come back down the #1. Though I fear that will be too much driving for 7-8 days, not leaving enough time to see the sights. Am I better off heading north up Kootenay Lake and coming back through Vernon? Would leave more time to explore each area.

I'm looking for ideas about outdoor activities, which golf courses to play, which trails to hike, which lookouts to check out. Don't care much for the arts & culture scene, except maybe some breweries along the way.
Resident Trail, Castlegar, Nelson Kootenay guy here. Sounds like the right route to take but yes lots of driving. I know that Surrey to Cranbrook non stop would be close to 10 hours driving by itself. Castlegar has the nicest and most challenging golf course in the area but there are also 4ish others between the Nelson, Castlegar, Trail, Salmo loop. It should be warm enough to camp pretty much everywhere by then. Hopefully our spring rain season will be done by then but its hard to tell with how weird the seasons have been lately. Wont have to deal with 40 degree weather and smoke / fireban that early either. 30ish minutes north of Nelson up the Kootenay Lake has Ainsworth Hot Springs which is nice and a beautiful drive. Red Mountain just passed Rossland might have trails for hiking and cycling by then as well. There are tons of paths and trails for hiking/cycling on our mountains overlooking the towns and many have hidden hunter cabins and old abandoned mines to explore. Bear spray would be wise to carry just incase. Nelson has all the good food options. Other sights to see would probably be our ridiculous amount of dams on the columbia river, maybe our big mills like sawmills, pulp mill, Trails Cominco smelter if that interests you. Creston has the Kokanee brewery that does tours during the week. Christina Lake is just passed Grand Forks and is huge and beautiful. Nancy Greene Lake and campground is at the Rossland turnoff from the number 3. Nelson Brewing Company is great and has their stock in many local stores. The Lions Head Pub in Robson just across the river from Castlegar has 10ish different flavours of their own brew always on tap.

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

member 290103

It's weird. I am a pretty big fan of David Fincher, and a big fan of true crime stuff in general, and everything about Zodiac seems like it would be right up my alley.

But it did nothing for me, and is probably the only Fincher film where years after watching it I really can't remember any scenes from it.

Maybe I need to watch it again.

I think you should. It's magnificent. I believe I watched it a few times before I came to this realization.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Agree with the love for Zodiac. Master class in film making with a palpable sense of dread running throughout it.

I'm like Melvin on this one: Fan of Fincher, but Zodiac didn't resonate with me.

Actually, that sense of dread is what I do remember from it, but nothing about any scene in particular.

Though I should mention that I liked this other film that came out in 1984 as well more:

It was just kind of zany/goofy at the time which kind of matched my personality.:laugh:

Haha, Buckaroo Banzai... entertaining flick. I was always partial to Flash Gordon for that 80's camp/goofiness.

I remember Goldblum's Cowboy character from this movie, as well as Lithgow's villain character.

Speaking of the 80s, have you seen Less Than Zero? I wouldn't say it's a good movie, but the soundtrack by Thomas Newman was magic.

That scene at the lake is still the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in a movie.

Another excellent Jake Gyllenhaal crime thriller. I might as well mention Nightcrawler to complete the trifecta.

Nightcrawler was an eerie experience. I ended up watching reality TV based upon these story chasers. Eye opening.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I couldn't help but notice parallels between Less Than Zero's plot and Robert Downey Jr.'s real-life downfall prior to Iron Man. Also, I like to imagine Less Than Zero is a pseudo-sequel to Pretty in Pink

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Agree with the love for Zodiac. Master class in film making with a palpable sense of dread running throughout it.
Fantastic movie..some of the stabbings are still pretty hard for me to watch...but,a well made movie, the continuity, and how they nailed that time period,is one of the best.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I couldn't help but notice parallels between Less Than Zero's plot and Robert Downey Jr.'s real-life downfall prior to Iron Man. Also, I like to imagine Less Than Zero is a pseudo-sequel to Pretty in Pink

Yes, LTZ seems close to home for Downey.

Interesting take on the pseudo-sequel to Pretty in Pink. How do you mean?

Less Than Zero got me into reading Bret Easton Ellis, though the book does not resemble the movie. He has a certain insight, real or imagined, about the coked out 80s in LA. It reads as authentic.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Speaking of the 80s, have you seen Less Than Zero? I wouldn't say it's a good movie, but the soundtrack by Thomas Newman was magic.
I think I saw parts of it way back (to be honest I don't remember much about it).

Shows how ignorant I was about music (not that I know alot now heh) I didn't realize the following was a cover of an old Simon & Garfunkle tune:

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I do remember seeing another early Downey Jr. flick [he actually just had a small part in it] around that time (mainly because of the then Mrs. Seagal in it lol):

Yeah, I watched alot of crap movies in the 80s.:laugh:

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Going back to that old 80s flick "Weird Science", I should've mentioned amazed how the lead singer of the group that sang the movie's theme song "Weird Science":

is the famous Danny Elfman!

More movie trivia, he's also the husband of Briget Fonda.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Resident Trail, Castlegar, Nelson Kootenay guy here. Sounds like the right route to take but yes lots of driving. I know that Surrey to Cranbrook non stop would be close to 10 hours driving by itself. Castlegar has the nicest and most challenging golf course in the area but there are also 4ish others between the Nelson, Castlegar, Trail, Salmo loop. It should be warm enough to camp pretty much everywhere by then. Hopefully our spring rain season will be done by then but its hard to tell with how weird the seasons have been lately. Wont have to deal with 40 degree weather and smoke / fireban that early either. 30ish minutes north of Nelson up the Kootenay Lake has Ainsworth Hot Springs which is nice and a beautiful drive. Red Mountain just passed Rossland might have trails for hiking and cycling by then as well. There are tons of paths and trails for hiking/cycling on our mountains overlooking the towns and many have hidden hunter cabins and old abandoned mines to explore. Bear spray would be wise to carry just incase. Nelson has all the good food options. Other sights to see would probably be our ridiculous amount of dams on the columbia river, maybe our big mills like sawmills, pulp mill, Trails Cominco smelter if that interests you. Creston has the Kokanee brewery that does tours during the week. Christina Lake is just passed Grand Forks and is huge and beautiful. Nancy Greene Lake and campground is at the Rossland turnoff from the number 3. Nelson Brewing Company is great and has their stock in many local stores. The Lions Head Pub in Robson just across the river from Castlegar has 10ish different flavours of their own brew always on tap.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I may PM you for more info later on as I continue to plan the trip.

Reactions: Dave Lister

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Lots of new posters around this week. Wonder where they all came from...

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
On the topic of users/new users: I was perusing the 2017 draft thread last night because i was looking up something. Then i saw a @CanaFan post and realized he hasn't posted in a long ass time. So i looked up his comment history, he was posting regularly to multiple threads, multiple times a day, only to stop on Oct 14th. I mean, i tend to disappear multiple times a year and that's normal for me. But he seemed to be here consistently and then disappeared.

What my HF stalking has amounted to is just that i hope he is okay. And i watch too many true crime shows.

On that tangent:
That scene at the lake is still the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in a movie.
The Zodiac case has scared me since i was a teen because of his brazenness, randomness, and taunting. Grew up believing couples should never make out in a car. (jk i kid). But watching that movie freaked me out, especially that scene.

As an adult, i learned of EARONS. That one creeps me out now the most.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I have a job interview tomorrow with the Cincinnati Reds baseball team. Would be a pretty cool thing if it goes well but I'm pretty nervous about it. Please wish me good luck. ;)
What??

AWESOME.

You're living the dream dude.

Don't forget about the little people!!!

41.gif

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah I'm a data nerd. Spent the last ten years on data architecture, development, integration, cleansing, analysis, etc.

There has been a high demand in baseball for people with my skills. I would be helping the operations dept with all the data they get from various sources and making sense of it all.

I wish I had a story for ya but it really isn't something I'd been angling for or anything. The reds posted a job posting and I applied. I do have a bit of an edge because I used to do part time work for baseball prospectus, which is an analytics website that has produced a ton of talent that has gone on to write for high profile publications or work for major league teams. Putting that on my resume was a definite help but really it was like any other job, I just applied.

They are supposed to pick their top 2 or 3 and fly them out to Cincy next week for the in person interview so if I even get that far I'll be pretty happy.
Do they have a data warehouse?

Are you helping them to build a data warehouse?

edit

oops.. I don't follow this thread very often... sorry if you already answered these questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad