OT: 2019 OT Non-Ski Resort Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Gotta change my USERNAME next week, still taking submissions but leaning towards Madman Madden

May I suggest Neddam ot Sehguh

People might assume that you’re from Afghanistan with a name like that, but I think the name is a little up your alley. Hughes and Madden were teammates on the US Olympic team and could very well be long term teammates on the Canucks.

UnforgottenLockwood is another name I recommend.

Ps - I’ve got dibs on Mahatma Tanti for my next handle nick.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Funny you mention Vietnam, that was actually my favourite place. Loved the north, I motorcycled around from Hanoi to Sapa and even made it tot eh Chinese boarder. Just breat taking views, and so much different from the south. Ha long Bay was so much fun too.

Someone mentioned Costa Rica earlier, and since I brought it up for Y2K, I will for you as well. G is a great option, and can ease peoples fear for safety, and or where you are staying and normally a lot of you food would be included. Here is the link to Costa Rica, but they go lots of other places, and I can get you a discount on many of there prices. Here

G adventures is just a great Canadian company, I know I have already talked about them a bunch, but Canadian company that is the only company to be backed by both national geographic and Jane goodal says something about the brand.

For Peru I wouldn't worry too much about the weather, it definitely won't be great, but that isn't probably why you are going there anyway. There is also a better site than Machu Pichu to go to, the name escapes me, it just isn't as famous.

Looks like a cool company. Unfortunately I already have the dates set for my vacation and none of the tours seem to fit them.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I've relocated to Portugal, AMA

I’m going to Lisbon, Madeira and Porto for 5 days each, 15 total, in September. First time going to Portugal, literally found out Madeira existed a week ago but I think it’s the place I’m most excited to visit. Is there a must see / thing to do at any of those places we should check out?

Might as well add, I’m going with my girlfriend and we are both around 30, love wine and good food, have money but aren’t rich by any means. We aren’t fitness nuts but like hikes and tours and stuff and all that jazz. We also like jazz.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I’m going to Lisbon, Madeira and Porto for 5 days each, 15 total, in September. First time going to Portugal, literally found out Madeira existed a week ago but I think it’s the place I’m most excited to visit. Is there a must see / thing to do at any of those places we should check out?

Might as well add, I’m going with my girlfriend and we are both around 30, love wine and good food, have money but aren’t rich by any means. We aren’t fitness nuts but like hikes and tours and stuff and all that jazz. We also like jazz.

I have not been to Madeira, but I can definitely help you out with the other two. We're a similar age and "athletic profile" so I hope these recommendations are worthwhile.

First and foremost, September is a great time to go. August is unbearably hot (got to 48C) and ridiculously crowded. But September it settles down again.

For Lisbon, you have to check out the Alfama (old downtown) and Chiado (bar district). I typically stay at an Airbnb in Alfama. The city is very walkable, but also very hilly. There's a good metro system, but Uber is cheap, so I usually just take Uber.

If you like to eat here's three recommendations

$ TimeOut Market: It’s cafeteria style highlighting Portuguese food (also some ethnic options)
$$ Momento HB: Portuguese tapas, essentially. Really great service and food! Reservation recommended
$$ Os Bons Malandros: Cool atmosphere, good wine. Shared/tapas style also. Reservation recommended

You also have to try the pastel da nata (cream tart). They are like the Chinese egg tarts, but on steroids. The most famous store is Pasteis de Belem (near Belem Tower), but I prefer the ones at the Manteigaria (a chain)

Another area I really like is LX Factory (basically Granville Island). On Sundays there's a little market which is cool too. Go to the rooftop bar and have a drink overlooking the bridge.

Before you leave Lisbon, you should take the train to Sintra (then a bus to the base), and tour the castles there. If you're not that interested in looking inside them, I wouldn't bother, but the views and exteriors are incredible. You should go inside the gardens though, I forget if you have to pay for that. The hike to the castles is not very difficult (0.5 Grouse Grinds in difficulty) so avoid the lines going up, but maybe bus back down.

I'll post about Porto in a bit. Just heading to work now. I would say Porto is my favourite city of the two. Also a little bit of a Vancouver/Toronto rivalry thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PM

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
I feel the same way about the USA yet here I am going to Vegas next year lol.

When it comes to travel I don't think there's anywhere I wouldn't go due to a political situation. There are simply places I'm interested in, and places I'm not interested in. Usually needs to have a blend of history and a lively atmosphere, though I'm starting to come around to the idea of giving up some of that nightlife if a city offers other things.

These are my thoughts exactly. Plus when you end up in these places and are buying stuff from vendors your helping a local economy not so much the dictatorship.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
These are my thoughts exactly. Plus when you end up in these places and are buying stuff from vendors your helping a local economy not so much the dictatorship.

I also find that the media exaggerates a lot. I've watched a lot of travel vlogs of people who are either in Egypt right now or have been to Egypt recently. Canada has a travel advisory against going there due to safety concerns, yet it appeared to be perfectly fine and the people who went have said just to be vigilant but that they didn't feel in danger at all. Similar with the West Bank.

Travel is fun. It's enjoyable learning about new cultures and meeting new people, as well as experiencing new cities and learning about the history.

Reactions: PM

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I also find that the media exaggerates a lot. I've watched a lot of travel vlogs of people who are either in Egypt right now or have been to Egypt recently. Canada has a travel advisory against going there due to safety concerns, yet it appeared to be perfectly fine and the people who went have said just to be vigilant but that they didn't feel in danger at all. Similar with the West Bank.

Travel is fun. It's enjoyable learning about new cultures and meeting new people, as well as experiencing new cities and learning about the history.

A big thing with travel advisories is a lot of insurance is void against them. Depending on the policy would depend on how strict.

For instance some just wouldn’t cover you in that area, others may not cover if something happened that was part of the advisory, but would cover you in the area.

Not sure if that made sense, but travelwith good coverage.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A big thing with travel advisories is a lot of insurance is void against them. Depending on the policy would depend on how strict.

For instance some just wouldn’t cover you in that area, others may not cover if something happened that was part of the advisory, but would cover you in the area.

Not sure if that made sense, but travelwith good coverage.

I've traveled a lot, but that's not something I've ever considered. Thanks.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I have a job interview tomorrow with the Cincinnati Reds baseball team. Would be a pretty cool thing if it goes well but I'm pretty nervous about it. Please wish me good luck. ;)

That’s awesome!

Good luck, just relax and remember what got you there.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Good luck, @Melvin. At least your talents would be appreciated in the world of baseball. Hockey will get there one day.

Last edited:

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Gotta change my USERNAME next week, still taking submissions but leaning towards Madman Madden

BUB

You're the first person I've heard since Bugs Bunny in the eighties to refer to someone as Bub.... as in "What's the hubub Bub?"

A little friendly, a little standoffish and it also works backwards!!!

Simple like M2B and a hell of a lot easier on the eyes than having to read something backwards imo.

Bub gets my vote.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
That's honestly awesome. Great job.

Will you have to move there?

Probably. Or at least I'd have to be there a lot.

It went very well. Thank you all for the best wishes. They only contacted the top-5 applicants and are flying the top-2 out for in-person interviews next week. So at the very least I hope to get a little trip out of it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

It went very well. Thank you all for the best wishes. They only contacted the top-5 applicants and are flying the top-2 out for in-person interviews next week. So at the very least I hope to get a little trip out of it.

Wow! Good luck. Anything to do with baseball operations?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Dude what the hell, that is f***ing sick. Are you able to kind of tell us what sort of thing you'd be doing? Scout? Assistant GM? Or are you finessing us and getting hired to sell popcorn up and down the aisles in the stands - that would be a twist. You have Data Nerd as your occupation, so that's probably a dead giveaway right there.

Just kind of interested in how you made it to that point, even if you may not be able to go into great detail about the job offer, I'm interested in the grind you had to likely go through to get a look. I like these stories, especially when it's a person who has been among you on HF.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Dude what the hell, that is ****ing sick. Are you able to kind of tell us what sort of thing you'd be doing? Scout? Assistant GM? Or are you finessing us and getting hired to sell popcorn up and down the aisles in the stands - that would be a twist. You have Data Nerd as your occupation, so that's probably a dead giveaway right there.

Just kind of interested in how you made it to that point, even if you may not be able to go into great detail about the job offer, I'm interested in the grind you had to likely go through to get a look. I like these stories, especially when it's a person who has been among you on HF.

Yeah I'm a data nerd. Spent the last ten years on data architecture, development, integration, cleansing, analysis, etc.

There has been a high demand in baseball for people with my skills. I would be helping the operations dept with all the data they get from various sources and making sense of it all.

I wish I had a story for ya but it really isn't something I'd been angling for or anything. The reds posted a job posting and I applied. I do have a bit of an edge because I used to do part time work for baseball prospectus, which is an analytics website that has produced a ton of talent that has gone on to write for high profile publications or work for major league teams. Putting that on my resume was a definite help but really it was like any other job, I just applied.

They are supposed to pick their top 2 or 3 and fly them out to Cincy next week for the in person interview so if I even get that far I'll be pretty happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad