OT: 2019 OT Non-Ski Resort Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gotta change my USERNAME next week, still taking submissions but leaning towards Madman Madden

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Has anyone here been to Israel, Jordan, and/or Egypt? I'm looking into doing a trip to Israel (Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, as well as visiting the West Bank), and contemplating either venturing into Jordan to check out Petra, or flying over to Cairo. Only have 2 weeks for the trip, so leaning towards Israel/Jordan, but seeking advice.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Has anyone here been to Israel, Jordan, and/or Egypt? I'm looking into doing a trip to Israel (Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, as well as visiting the West Bank), and contemplating either venturing into Jordan to check out Petra, or flying over to Cairo. Only have 2 weeks for the trip, so leaning towards Israel/Jordan, but seeking advice.

I would recommend going with a tour group. Go with a small group like G Adventures or On The Go.

I know lots of people would rather do it on there own, but there is something about having people do a lot of the hard work for you. Plus small group has a ton of like minded people to go with.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Good weather and beaches? Do you want something different what is your budget? South Pacific could be nice just finishing their rainy season think Bali. Or there is a great area in Vietnam. Could tour Vietnam then relax on beach for a few days.

Caribbean is the easy answer too.

Please do.

We did Vietnam last spring and it was incredible, especially the North.

South Pacific seems a little too vacation-y for our liking. It looks like a lot of expensive resorts (budget is ~$4000 total including flights) and not as much history/culture as we would like.

I want to go to Cartagena (Colombia, not Spain) but the GF isn't enthralled with the idea for whatever reason. We originally were thinking of doing Machu Picchu, unfortunately it's the worst time of year for weather there.

Have you done a lot of traveling yourself? Any favourite places you've been or places still on your wish list?

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Jordan, Egypt, and the West Bank seems like a lot for two weeks. I would definitely skip Egypt if you're only going to get three or so days there.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Jordan, Egypt, and the West Bank seems like a lot for two weeks. I would definitely skip Egypt if you're only going to get three or so days there.

Thanks, it's pretty much Tel Aviv and Jerusalem as the staples, and then deciding if I want to do Jordan (Petra) or Egypt. West Bank would just be a day trip, mostly checking out Jericho, Bethlehem, and the areas around the wall (Walled Off Hotel, and the Banksy murals).

Leaning towards Jordan because I figure Egypt would be better off on its own 2-week trip so I can do more than just Cairo. I noticed there are tours that are done through Abraham Hostel.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008

South Pacific seems a little too vacation-y for our liking. It looks like a lot of expensive resorts (budget is ~$4000 total including flights) and not as much history/culture as we would like.

I want to go to Cartagena (Colombia, not Spain) but the GF isn't enthralled with the idea for whatever reason. We originally were thinking of doing Machu Picchu, unfortunately it's the worst time of year for weather there.

Have you done a lot of traveling yourself? Any favourite places you've been or places still on your wish list?

Cratagena is on my list for sure what’s the oppositions from the GF.

Costa Rica/Nicaragua

Could check out some spots in Eastern Europe generally pretty cheap when you are there. I’ve always had a good time anywhere in Europe.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Cratagena is on my list for sure what’s the oppositions from the GF.

Costa Rica/Nicaragua

Could check out some spots in Eastern Europe generally pretty cheap when you are there. I’ve always had a good time anywhere in Europe.
Would recommend NOT going to Nicaragua, its a violent dictatorship that kills people for supporting democracy. No need in putting tourist dollars into a regime like that

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Funny you mention Vietnam, that was actually my favourite place. Loved the north, I motorcycled around from Hanoi to Sapa and even made it tot eh Chinese boarder. Just breat taking views, and so much different from the south. Ha long Bay was so much fun too.

Someone mentioned Costa Rica earlier, and since I brought it up for Y2K, I will for you as well. G is a great option, and can ease peoples fear for safety, and or where you are staying and normally a lot of you food would be included. Here is the link to Costa Rica, but they go lots of other places, and I can get you a discount on many of there prices. Here

G adventures is just a great Canadian company, I know I have already talked about them a bunch, but Canadian company that is the only company to be backed by both national geographic and Jane goodal says something about the brand.

For Peru I wouldn't worry too much about the weather, it definitely won't be great, but that isn't probably why you are going there anyway. There is also a better site than Machu Pichu to go to, the name escapes me, it just isn't as famous.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Thanks, it's pretty much Tel Aviv and Jerusalem as the staples, and then deciding if I want to do Jordan (Petra) or Egypt. West Bank would just be a day trip, mostly checking out Jericho, Bethlehem, and the areas around the wall (Walled Off Hotel, and the Banksy murals).

Leaning towards Jordan because I figure Egypt would be better off on its own 2-week trip so I can do more than just Cairo. I noticed there are tours that are done through Abraham Hostel.

While the surrounding countries are easing their restrictions on allowing people in with Israeli stamps on their passport, you best double check if Egypt will allow you to enter with an Israeli stamp.

Would recommend NOT going to Nicaragua, its a violent dictatorship that kills people for supporting democracy. No need in putting tourist dollars into a regime like that

Ethical travel is a tough issue. Where can you travel? Must you agree with all the policies of a country? Because if that is the case there is no country I could travel to or live in.

Moreover, are the tourist dollars you are inserting going to the government or to real people? Does travel help to spread ideas in and out of a country?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
While the surrounding countries are easing their restrictions on allowing people in with Israeli stamps on their passport, you best double check if Egypt will allow you to enter with an Israeli stamp.

Egypt does.

What I've read is that when you go through Israeli customs they give you a card that they stamp, so they don't directly stamp your passport. But some countries will still deny you if they see a passport stamp of a neighbouring country, if the port of entry is bordering Israel (so like, if I take a bus into Jordan from Israel).

I have a 10 year passport that I just got last summer...so if I do Jordan from Israel it just means I can't go into Lebanon, Syria, Libya, Kuwait, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, or Yemen. No big loss as I didn't really plan to visit any of those countries...ever...anyway.

I'm just really curious if anyone on here has been to Israel or even Jordan.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

If you're looking for beached, Lagos in Portugal is amazing.

Colombia sounds cool...it's on my list. If you want to do South America, Buenos Aires and Montevideo are two capitals that are right next to each other so that would be a good spot to fly in/out of.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I feel the same way about the USA yet here I am going to Vegas next year lol.

When it comes to travel I don't think there's anywhere I wouldn't go due to a political situation. There are simply places I'm interested in, and places I'm not interested in. Usually needs to have a blend of history and a lively atmosphere, though I'm starting to come around to the idea of giving up some of that nightlife if a city offers other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad