Movies: 2019 Oscar Nominations

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I thought Crash already did that.
Fair point, just a bit disappointing to see such a mediocre movie get nominated for a prestigious award I get that the Oscars are driven so heavily by politics and social causes, but it was maybe the 3rd best superhero movie to come out this past year.

Reactions: Kurtz

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
lol I always find the subject of taste so interesting.

I too traditionally like to watch all the BP nominees, so far only seen ASIB, and BlacKKKlansmen. Of the other ones the two I most want to see would be Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice. Green Book and Black Panther look okay and I don't mind watching them, The Favourite and Roma do nothing for me and will be hard to watch :laugh:.

To each their own!

I think Roma and The Favourite are the best of the bunch. To each their own indeed!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The presence of Black Panther is fine, especially in a weak year like this. I suspect it was probably middle of the pack vote wise which would mean it isn't even the movie or two keeping better movies out.

Oscar history has way worse best pic nominees -- and you don't have to go too far back in time -- including a couple total dogs that actually won. Sure, I'll kick Crash here too, but I'd argue The Artist may be even worse in that it's been utterly forgettable in the years since it won. At least we can all laugh about Crash.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
My gf and I traditionally watch all of the BP nominees. I didn't mind it so much last year, but the thought of having to sit through Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice makes we want to end that tradition. :laugh:

Vice is a good movie and a good watch. It is heavily flawed the same way Bohemian Rhapsody is, but Bohemian Rhapsody is a fair bit worse.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The presence of Black Panther is fine, especially in a weak year like this. I suspect it was probably middle of the pack vote wise which would mean it isn't even the movie or two keeping better movies out.

Oscar history has way worse best pic nominees -- and you don't have to go too far back in time -- including a couple total dogs that actually won. Sure, I'll kick Crash here too, but I'd argue The Artist may be even worse in that it's been utterly forgettable in the years since it won. At least we can all laugh about Crash.

Vice was, unsurprisingly, left-wing biased but I watched it strictly to see Bales performance, which was outstanding. At some points it was hard to tell if I was watching him or the real Cheney on screen.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
So, is Black Panther now officially the most overrated film in history?

Ive always hated how comic book movies get overlooked in the oscars. I loved black panther...but I dont fully understand how it is the superhero movie to finally break that barrier and get a best picture nom.

I mean the academy overlooked movies like the Dark Knight and Logan but they go for Black Panther?

Reactions: Kurtz

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Ive always hated how comic book movies get overlooked in the oscars. I loved black panther...but I dont fully understand how it is the superhero movie to finally break that barrier and get a best picture nom.

I mean the academy overlooked movies like the Dark Knight and Logan but they go for Black Panther?

The overlooking of The Dark Knight literally broke the Academy. They moved to more nominees the year after. They've been playing with formats and tinkering with things to be more audience friendly in large part because they know they messed that one up.

Logan was well received, and managed to get a screenplay nomination which is no small feat but couldn't crack a nomination in part due to how strong the year was for films. Specifically, as a genre film not usually recognized by the academy and released earlier in the year, it lost its thunder to Get Out.

Black Panther had a lot going for it, including positive critic and fan responses, and able to cross over to general audiences outside the comic book base. It did a great job of world building of Wakanda that was recognized in the various technical categories that helped it cross the line. It had a critically acclaimed musical act compose they score and was directed by an already accomplished but still young director who's probably going to have future critically acclaimed hits to his résumé.

Black Panther being the first to be nominated in these category doesn't make it better or worse than other superhero films. It just means that it compared well to other films of this past year.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Personally, I do not think Burning is a snub, because it can split the audience. It can certainly cast a spell, but at the same time, it can also fall on deaf ears. I am part of the latter, as I find that it meanders way too much, and based on past nominations, a slow burn thriller like Burning is just not the Academy's cup of tea.

As for the rest of the field, even though I want The Guilty over Capernaum, mt prediction on the final list was right on the money. I really should have made a bet.
:laugh:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Vice is a good movie and a good watch. It is heavily flawed the same way Bohemian Rhapsody is, but Bohemian Rhapsody is a fair bit worse.

I think biopics are as lame and uninspired a genre as rom-coms, and I have zero interest in reliving the career of that dirtbag Cheney, especially since we're not that far removed from it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I would hope Rami Malek gets serious consideration for best actor.

It's a very, very tall order to tell somebody to go out and try to be Freddie Mercury. But to not only be able to do it, but do it well? That's worthy of an award.

The movie itself is a bit more polarizing but Malek's performance should be the one thing that's universal about it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
....That's the point.

I wasn't talking about just the Oscar voters though

If nobody really likes Crash, yet it won Best Picture, it means only a select group (the voters) was overrating it

Black Panther is beloved by millions, therefore, it would be the more overrated of the two

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Offhand, I have heard the worst Best Picture Winner dates back to the 50s with Demille's The Greatest Show on Earth...or at least it's up there with Crash anyways.

I'm surprised First Man and Beale Street were not nominated for Best Picture considering all the critical hype they received the past several months. They certainly would have been more deserving then the likes of Vice (which received middling reviews from critics) and Bohemian Rhapsody (while entertaining it was not particularly good outside of Malek's performance.)

I was rooting for Toni Collette 's performance in Hereditary to be nominated. Her performance has stuck with me nearly 8 months later. Alas, the Academy's likely bias against horror movies played a role in her notable absence.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
BlacKkKlansman and The Favourite are not best picture nominee caliber. Black Panther is the fourth best marvel movie of the year behind deadpool 2, Avengers infinity war and spiderman into the spider-verse. Roma will win the oscar despite it should have been limited to the best foreign movie category. From that field Bohemian Rhapsody or A star is born are the only two worthy of the oscar.

For the best foreign movie category Roma will win too despite not being better than Shadow or Cold War.

Pawel Pawlikowski deserve to win best director but Cuaron will win.

For best actor Bale or Malek are both great choice and should win it together. I have not seen yet the Dafoe movie.

Rachel Weisz should win the best supporting actress.

Isle of Dogs is my pick for best Animated Feature. But the Incredibles 2 and Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse would be worthy winner too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad