Movies: 2019 Oscar Nominations

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I've dismissed Green Book, A Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice as generic Oscar fluff that don't really have anything interesting going on with them, kind of along the same line as something like "The Post". Am I way off-base with any of those assumptions?

Still interested to see BlacKkKlansman and have seen the others.

Reactions: kihei

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
At BAFTA, Roma knocks off The Favourite with the Mexican film taking four awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Cinematography. The Favourite, which did take seven other awards, was thought to have a huge homecourt advantage, but obviously it didn't.

The full list of winners at the 2019 Bafta film awards

That is a surprise. Things are moving well for Roma at this point.

I managed to see Blackkklansman last night. Or, more specifically, finished it last night. I watched the first half Friday, and second half last night. I loved the first half, and was thinking at that point that it may be my favourite movie of the year. Second half didn't meet that standard.

Still a very good movie, but couldn't sustain the place of the first half.

I've seen 6 of the 8 best picture nominees, and hard for me to identify my favourite. I still need to see Roma though. I probably won't get to Vice any time soon.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Or maybe there's just people out there who strongly dislike manipulative and pandering-ass movies like The Shawshank Redemption or Forrest Gump and it has nothing to do with being cool (whatever that would mean on the entertainment sub-forum of a hockey board).

How do any of those critiques apply to Shawshank? Like, really? Do tell.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other night.

I liked it, I'm younger so changing the story a bit to make it more entertaining didn't bother me. I thought Rami Malek did a great job. It won't win and I'm not sure if it was a great 'film' but I was entertained and that matters more to me.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The year the Academy continually shot itself in the foot. Must feel good or they wouldn't do it so much.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
They reversed the decision. All awards will be presented on tv.

Predictable. I can't believe they didn't see the backlash coming on this issue.

All the decision makers should be fired given this is about the 4th big decision in a row they have announced then taken back due to public pressure ('popular' Oscar, Kevin Hart, limiting musical performances, awards during commercial breaks). They clearly do not have a sense for what either the public or it's own members want. ... Or they're total spineless cowards who keep bending to the will of ABC.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Predictable. I can't believe they didn't see the backlash coming on this issue.

All the decision makers should be fired given this is about the 4th big decision in a row they have announced then taken back due to public pressure ('popular' Oscar, Kevin Hart, limiting musical performances, awards during commercial breaks). They clearly do not have a sense for what either the public or it's own members want. ... Or they're total spineless cowards who keep bending to the will of ABC.

With all the poor decisions and changes they seem to be making pretty close to the ceremony it's hard to see how this won't be a disaster.

This is the one year they probably need an experienced host as there's likely going to be confusion and mistakes. It'll be hilarious if with all their attempts to shorten the ceremony it ends up being 5 hours or something.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Reversed the decision, lmao. These guys must see Donald Trump as a role model.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rented The Wife last night. One of those movies that would have been better off as a play, though it would have been a middling one. the kind that runs, say, for four months on the West End or Broadway than is never heard from again. Anyway, Glenn Close is indeed excellent. I think I especially liked her interpretation of character because it was an honest-to-god performance, not an impersonation. The Academy can't seem to tell the difference between the two. So if she wins the Oscar, no complaints from me.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm nearly a month late, but this is the first that I've seen the nominations and I must say that that is one sorry group of Best Picture nominees. Roma, The Favourite, Green Book and A Star Is Born would probably be there in most years (even back when there were only five nominees), but the rest are pretty laughable, IMO. If there were ever a year to make a case for going back to only five nominees, this would probably be it. Having one film that doesn't really belong would look a lot better than having six, or over half of the field, not belong. It may not have been a great year for eligible films, but you can see the pandering to audiences, especially with Black Panther, which was simply popular, rather than excellent in any way that deserves artistic recognition.

The really silly thing is that the Academy listened to the stink over their proposed Popular Film category and, evidently, responded by dumping some of the films that would've gone into it into the Best Picture category. That suggests either that they misunderstood what the stink was over (thinking that it was over a new category, rather than the recognition of popularity) or don't care because they know that having popular films nominated for big awards will help with ratings.

Darwin101

Mar 9, 2014
In what world is Vice remotely a best picture nominee? It's perhaps the worst film I have seen in years, and even if you take it's ceiling for praise, it still wasn't that well liked. This is what I despise about these awards, they are so ridiculously political. Just reward good movies, plain and simple.

The fact that Adam McKay got a nomination for that movie is without a shadow of a doubt the most undeserved award nomination in the history of academy awards.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
In what world is Vice remotely a best picture nominee? It's perhaps the worst film I have seen in years, and even if you take it's ceiling for praise, it still wasn't that well liked. This is what I despise about these awards, they are so ridiculously political. Just reward good movies, plain and simple.

The fact that Adam McKay got a nomination for that movie is without a shadow of a doubt the most undeserved award nomination in the history of academy awards.

Unfortunately, if you compare it with the rest of the field, it belongs. My favourite for this year, The hate U Give, did not get any recognition at all. Then there is the fact that the show itself is over 4 hours long, and it is basically rich people who congratulate one another. This is just how award season works.
:laugh:

That said, while English movies are weak, it is ridiculously strong on the international side. I strongly recommend that people check out the movies up for Best Foreign Film. The only one I have not seen is Never Look Away, but everything on it except Capernaum is very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be honest, I'm glad they reversed the decision.

It means they aren't tone-deaf and aren't doubling down on a stupid idea. Just like all of the other stupid ideas they had.

That said, the idea never should have seen the light of day - anyone with common sense would have seen that.

I'm offering my services to the entertainment industry as a sounding board for "is this a good idea?" because I think they need someone to do this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad