Movies: 2019 Oscar Nominations

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I was reading that The Green Book is similar to The Blind Side is that, yes, it is celebrating black talent and showing the tough realities that minorities go through to achieve any sort of goal, never mind being a world class artist or athlete, but in a way that celebrates white people for propping them up and being one of the main reasons they accomplish their goal.

It is a tricky situation, because both are based on true stories, but I recall The Blind Side leaving a bad taste in my mouth for that reason. Is that something I should look out for when viewing The Green Book?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I was reading that The Green Book is similar to The Blind Side is that, yes, it is celebrating black talent and showing the tough realities that minorities go through to achieve any sort of goal, never mind being a world class artist or athlete, but in a way that celebrates white people for propping them up and being one of the main reasons they accomplish their goal.

It is a tricky situation, because both are based on true stories, but I recall The Blind Side leaving a bad taste in my mouth for that reason. Is that something I should look out for when viewing The Green Book?
Yeah, but I think that such an approach is pretty standard operating procedure for Hollywood movies about black people. There is usually a parallel story about the eventual goodness, liberal-mindedness, positive intentions, and/or helpfulness of white people: The Help; Gran Torino; To Kill a Mockingbird; Finding Forrester; Dangerous Minds; The Soloist; Driving Miss Daisy; The Blind Side; The Defiant Ones; practically any movie Sydney Poitier ever made; and on and on, ad infinitum. That being said, The Green Book is somehow much easier for this (white) person to take than The Blind Side or The Help. Green Book is sort of a reverse Driving Miss Daisy, nothing original about its story nor its political approach to white people interacting with black people, but neither is Green Book as condescending or dishonest as many of these films.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really don't understand all the love Bohemian Rhapsody is getting and I'm saying that as someone who enjoyed the film.

It was a decent dive through the band's history, Rami Malek did as good a job as you could ask of him in playing Freddie, and the visual similarity of the Live Aid recreation was masterfully done. But outside of that I really don't think it was a Best Picture worthy film.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Too many people in this thread are mixing up the definitions of "overrated" and unjustly chosen by the Academy.

He did magnificent impression of Mercury on stage. Off the stage is hard to tell because there's not much to compare it to due Mercury keeping that aspect secret. The made up fictional drama was annoying but he pulled it off.
There's plenty of footage of Mercury off stage.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It would be hilarious if Black Panther wins best picture. I hope it does.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, but I think that such an approach is pretty standard operating procedure for Hollywood movies about black people. There is usually a parallel story about the eventual goodness, liberal-mindedness, positive intentions, and/or helpfulness of white people: The Help; Gran Torino; To Kill a Mockingbird; Finding Forrester; Dangerous Minds; The Soloist; Driving Miss Daisy; The Blind Side; The Defiant Ones; practically any movie Sydney Poitier ever made; and on and on, ad infinitum. That being said, The Green Book is somehow much easier for this (white) person to take than The Blind Side or The Help. Green Book is sort of a reverse Driving Miss Daisy, nothing original about its story nor its political approach to white people interacting with black people, but neither is Green Book as condescending or dishonest as many of these films.

I've often wondered how much of that approach is owed to star power/box office name - which are largely reserved to white actors besides a few black household names - and politics. For such a money driven industry, I tend to lean towards the former. The main white character is always a 20 million dollars name.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Probably around the same time it became the thought process that if someone doesn't like something that happens to be popular, they must dislike it solely for the sake of being contrarian.

It also sort of completely proves my point about it being overrated, by the way, that someone saying "This is not the best movie ever" is met with "Oh well he's only saying he hates it because it's popular, because since it is literally the best movie ever, no one could possibly dislike it except to be difficult!"

Sep 19, 2008
They're also not going to have performances of all the nominated songs, and (I think) not air the award for best cinematography (among others), the latter of which is more egregious. First time in a while I won't be watching.

Good. Why should each nominated song be performed? I remember in the old days when they didn't have to perform each song. Save that for another awards show.

I also heard they were going to put some of the lesser known awards during commercial break. Honestly...it's fine, I mostly watch to see best animated film, best documentary, best animated short, stuff like that. If they skip those I'll be upset.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Counterpoint. Yes it was.

On the topic, when did everything begin to resemble a videogame forum where anything that is popular become cool to hate on?

Or maybe there's just people out there who strongly dislike manipulative and pandering-ass movies like The Shawshank Redemption or Forrest Gump and it has nothing to do with being cool (whatever that would mean on the entertainment sub-forum of a hockey board).

Reactions: kihei

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Or maybe there's just people out there who strongly dislike manipulative and pandering-ass movies like The Shawshank Redemption or Forrest Gump and it has nothing to do with being cool (whatever that would mean on the entertainment sub-forum of a hockey board).

:rolleyes:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Moral to the story: reasonable people can disagree on the merit of every movie ever made. It is not exactly a character flaw to have an adverse reaction to a popular movie.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Black Panther is a "manipulative and pandering-ass movie".

I look forward to a reasonable discussion about that.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Black Panther is a "manipulative and pandering-ass movie".

I look forward to a reasonable discussion about that.

I haven't seen Black Panther nor do I have any particular urge to. It very well might be. But nice of you to try and cast to some fairly bigoted aspersions because I don't like The Shawshank Redemption.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad