Movies: 2019 Oscar Nominations

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't post here anymore but I'll throw this at ya'll, peace.

Best Picture
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”
“Vice”

Best Director
Spike Lee (“BlacKkKlansman”)
Pawel Pawlikowski (“Cold War”)
Yorgos Lanthimos (“The Favourite”)
Alfonso Cuaron (“Roma”)
Adam McKay (“Vice”)

Best Actor
Christian Bale (“Vice”)
Rami Malek (“Bohemian Rhapsody”
Bradley Cooper (“A Star Is Born”)
Willem Defoe (“At Eternity’s Gate”)
Viggo Mortensen (“Green Book”)

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio (“Roma”)
Glenn Close (“The Wife”)
Olivia Colman (“The Favourite”)
Lady Gaga (“A Star Is Born”)
Melissa McCarthy (“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”)

Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali (“Green Book”)
Richard E. Grant (“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”)
Sam Elliott (“A Star Is Born”)
Sam Rockwell (“Vice”)
Adam Driver (“BlacKkKlansman”)

Supporting Actress
Regina King (“If Beale Street Could Talk”)
Amy Adams (“Vice”)
Marina De Tavira (“Roma”)
Rachel Weisz (“The Favourite”)
Emma Stone (“The Favourite”)

Adapted Screenplay
“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
“If Beale Street Could Talk”
“A Star Is Born”

Best Original Screenplay
“The Favourite”
“First Reformed”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“Vice”

Animated Feature
“Incredibles 2”
“Isle of Dogs”
“Mirai”
“Ralph Breaks the Internet”
“Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

Foreign Language Film
“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

Best Documentary
“Free Solo”
“Hale County This Morning This Evening”
“Minding the Gap”
“Of Fathers and Sons”
“RBG”

Best Cinematography
“Cold War”
“The Favourite”
“Never Look Away”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”

Best Costume Design
“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”
“Black Panther”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“The Favourite”
“Mary Queen of Scots”

Film Editing
“BlacKkklansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Vice”

Makeup and Hairstyling
“Border”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
“Vice”

Original Score
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“If Beale Street Could Talk”
“Isle of Dogs”
“Mary Poppins Returns”

Original Song
“All the Stars” (“Black Panther”)
“I’ll Fight” (“RBG”)
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” (“Mary Poppins Returns”)
“Shallow” (“A Star Is Born”)
“When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings” (“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”

Production Design
“Black Panther”
“The Favourite”
“First Man”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Roma”

Sound Editing
“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“A Quiet Place”
“Roma”

Sound Mixing
“Black Panther”
“A Star Is Born”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“Roma”
“First Man”

Visual Effects
“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Christopher Robin”
“First Man”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

Documentary (Short Subject)
“Black Sheep”
“End Game”
“Lifeboat”
“A Night at the Garden”
“Period. End of Sentence.”

Short Film (Animated)
“Animal Behavior”
“Bao”
“Late Afternoon”
“One Small Step”
“Weekends”

Short Film (Live Action)
“Detainment”
“Skin”
“Marguerite”
“Fauve”
“Mother”

ayyyyy 10 noms for roma, 7 for black panther.

wish burning got a nomination but oh well.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
That's a real shoulder shrug of a bunch of nominees. At least to me.

Definitely some movies I like. Definitely some movies I don't like. Oddly, nothing jumps out as being anything I'm passionate about.

I guess The Favourite represents all my rooting interests.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
No director nod for Bradley Cooper is surprising and probably hurts ASIB chances at best picture, but this year's race is so up in their air, that who knows.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Roma deserves it all.

Leave No Trace not getting any respect and Ethan Hawke had the best male performance this year.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Noteworthy:

Yet again, no women directors nominated
Bradley Cooper snubbed for best director
Roma receives a whopping ten nominations, tied for most with The Favourite
Three foreign language films get nominated in the cinematography category--Cold War, Roma, Never Look Away
Black Panther
receives seven nominations, including for best picture
Ethan Hawke, Michael B. Jordan and Joaquin Phoenix snubbed
Leave No Trace snubbed
Marina de Tavira nominated in best supporting actress category for Roma
Burning
doesn't make the cut in the foreign language film category

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
De Tavira in, Cooper out--quite a day for Roma.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I hate to be such a negative nellie here, but I just watched Roma. It's still fresh in my mind and De Tavira made zero impression on me. One of the more random nominations I've seen in a while.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Really want to see Blackkklansman and Bohemian Rhapsody but other than that the Best Picture noms aren't particularly interesting.

LOL @ Black Panther nominated for Best Picture. :rolleyes:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I hate to be such a negative nellie here, but I just watched Roma. It's still fresh in my mind and De Tavira made zero impression on me. One of the more random nominations I've seen in a while.
I agree. I didn't think she was even on the radar. Definitely a good tea leaf for Roma, though.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I thought she was good, particularly physically. By that I mean she didn’t have very memorable dialogue, but she was fantastic at expressing her hope at the beginning, her anguish, sympathy and her love.

Whether she had one of the 5 best supporting roles for women this year, I’m not sure, I haven’t seen enough films to make that judgment.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Definitely agree that it's an underwhelming group of nominees. The Favourite and Roma are great, but I wouldn't have nominated any of the others (haven't seen Blackkklansman or Bohemian Rhapsody though).

Also:
-Disappointed by the Burning snub, but not surprised
-Ditto for First Man (although I'm surprised it got snubbed in supporting actress and score)
-Was hoping to see some love for Eighth Grade and Leave No Trace
-I was happy to see Buster Scruggs get some nominations
-Glad Yorgos Lanthimos got nominated for director.

Reactions: Zeppo

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Really want to see Blackkklansman and Bohemian Rhapsody but other than that the Best Picture noms aren't particularly interesting.

LOL @ Black Panther nominated for Best Picture. :rolleyes:

And one nomination for the actual best Marvel and comic book film of the year, Avengers Infinity War, in the visual effects. Should probably win it but who knows. If there is one nomination Black Panther deserved, it was for costume design. I would have switched "All the stars" for Celine's "Ashes", if only too see her performing with Deadpool dancing in heels around her.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm probably just ignorant because I've never seen "Can You Forgive Me?" but Melissa McCarthy being an Oscar-nominated lead actress might be the most shocking thing I've ever seen for anything Oscar-related.

Very disappointed with no Leave No Trace acting noms.

Edit: Apparently McCarthy was nominated for best supporting actress for Bridesmaids. Well f*** me

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
As the years pass, the Oscars seem to resemble the Grammys more and more. At least it still feels like they're somewhat trying to reward artistic achievement, but man, that list looks uninspiring.

Sep 19, 2008
They find a host yet :laugh:

Don't get criticism about the Oscars. Sure they go on too long but everyone is like "lul people still watch teh oscars???" Well yeah if you like movies and film and want to see which movie wins best picture. Honestly I watch every year, or at least until bedtime around 10 :sarcasm:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I stopped caring about the actual awards show a few years ago, but seeing those nominations my emotional response was "ho-hum". I could tell in December that these nominations were not all that great because it felt like the coverage was really low key. They come out and there is nothing in that list I'm excited about. Heck I've only seen 3 of the best picture nominations (Star is Born, Black Panther, and Green Book) but I don't know if I have an interest in the rest. I like Queen, so maybe Bohaimian Rhapsody, but other then that, still waiting for the last Avengers movie.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I have no idea what Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice are doing on that list. Fine with the rest although I haven't seen everything from earlier in the year and that wouldn't be my top eight. At least the others are good enough.

Reactions: kihei

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Best Pic field seems kinda "eh," but aside from that, there are certainly some positives to be gleaned from other categories.

No director nod for Bradley Cooper is surprising and probably hurts ASIB chances at best picture

Or, in a weird way, it strengthens the narrative for the film's campaign, and the attention helps it become this year's "Argo."

However, looking closer, Argo also had a nom (and won) for editing, whereas "Star" doesn't even have that. Has a movie ever won best picture without a directing AND editing nom? My guess is, if so, you'd have to go a lonnnnnng way back.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
And one nomination for the actual best Marvel and comic book film of the year, Avengers Infinity War, in the visual effects. Should probably win it but who knows. If there is one nomination Black Panther deserved, it was for costume design. I would have switched "All the stars" for Celine's "Ashes", if only too see her performing with Deadpool dancing in heels around her.

I dont think Infinity War has any business in the discussion either. Spider-Verse was the best superhero movie of the year judged by its own merits. Infinity War isn't a solitary movie. Without the context of roughly 19 other films it wouldn't be a very well told story.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
My gf and I traditionally watch all of the BP nominees. I didn't mind it so much last year, but the thought of having to sit through Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice makes we want to end that tradition. :laugh:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
My gf and I traditionally watch all of the BP nominees. I didn't mind it so much last year, but the thought of having to sit through Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice makes we want to end that tradition. :laugh:
lol I always find the subject of taste so interesting.

I too traditionally like to watch all the BP nominees, so far only seen ASIB, and BlacKKKlansmen. Of the other ones the two I most want to see would be Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice. Green Book and Black Panther look okay and I don't mind watching them, The Favourite and Roma do nothing for me and will be hard to watch :laugh:.

To each their own!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad