Movies: 2019 Oscar Nominations

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Here's my picks for the 15 categories that count in our family pool;

Best Picture: Roma---(Green Book the only likely contender, and it does tick a lot of Academy boxes. Good dark horse pick)

Direction; Alfonso Cuaron, Roma---(the lock of the century)

Best Actress: Glenn Close, The Wife

Best Actor:Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Best Supporting Actress: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Foreign Language Film: Roma

Best Cinematography: Roma

Best Editing: The Favourite

Best Original Screenplay: The Favourite

Best Adapted Screenplay: BlackkKlansman

Best Animated Film: Spiderman--Into the Spider-verse

Best Documentary: Free Solo

Best Costume Design: The Favourite

Best Song: Shallow (A Star Is Born)

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ok, here are my picks:

Best Picture: Roma

Direction; Alfonso Cuaron, Roma

Best Actress: Yalitza Aparicio, Roma

Best Actor: Diego Cortina Autrey, Roma

Best Supporting Actor: Carlos Peralta, Roma

Best Supporting Actress: Marina de Tavira, Roma

Foreign Language Film: Roma

Best Cinematography: Roma

Best Editing: Roma

Best Original Screenplay: Roma

Best Adapted Screenplay: Roma (based on Roma)

Best Animated Film: Roma - The Animated Cut (by Pixar)

Best Documentary: The Making of Roma

Best Costume Design: Roma

Best Song: Don't Cry for Me Roma (Roma)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Do you feel that having a recognizable name for Direction can actually hurt their odds for Best Picture because people feel that it’s a pretty strong consolation prize and perhaps an even better way to recognize that film?

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Do you feel that having a recognizable name for Direction can actually hurt their odds for Best Picture because people feel that it’s a pretty strong consolation prize and perhaps an even better way to recognize that film?
Good question. I just did a quick count of how often the Best Picture winners also got Best Director...

In the 1960s - 9/10

In the 1970s - 9/10

In the 1980s - 8/10

In the 1990s - 9/10

In the 2000s - 7/10

In the 2010s (so far) - 4/8

Academy Award for Best Director - Wikipedia

So it seems to be much more common lately, to have Best Picture and Best Director go to different films. But even so, they still align at least half the time.

Reactions: kihei and NyQuil

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It's been interesting to see picture and director diverge as much as it has since the turn of the century. It's a move I favor. I know some people take the line that "how can the best picture NOT have the best director," but I've always seen the award as separate things. Director is a job. Picture is a product. It's never been hard for me to reconcile that in my mind. Sometimes I think it aligns, sometimes it doesn't.

Most of the times the awards have split have made sense to me. (La La Land/Moonlight, The Revenant/Spotlight for example). Of course using those examples, you could also argue that sometimes director is more of an award for MOST directing and directors of softer/smaller/subtler films that aren't as flashy don't get a fair shake. Give me Richard Linkletter and Boyhood over Inaritu and Birdman any day... All that said George Miller's work on Mad Max: Fury Road is the best directing job this century and shame on the Academy for not having the balls to go there. :)

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Good question. I just did a quick count of how often the Best Picture winners also got Best Director...

In the 1960s - 9/10

In the 1970s - 9/10

In the 1980s - 8/10

In the 1990s - 9/10

In the 2000s - 7/10

In the 2010s (so far) - 4/8

Academy Award for Best Director - Wikipedia

So it seems to be much more common lately, to have Best Picture and Best Director go to different films. But even so, they still align at least half the time.

A big part of that is that there doesn't seem to be as many years where one film absolutely comes in and dominates most categories.

I did a quick analysis, and this decade the best picture winners have won between 2 and 4 awards in their years, with The Artist being the one exception with 5.

I haven't gone back and run the numbers but it seems like it used to be a lot more common to see a movie sweep a bunch of categories.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
A big part of that is that there doesn't seem to be as many years where one film absolutely comes in and dominates most categories.

I did a quick analysis, and this decade the best picture winners have won between 2 and 4 awards in their years, with The Artist being the one exception with 5.

I haven't gone back and run the numbers but it seems like it used to be a lot more common to see a movie sweep a bunch of categories.

To this day The Artist is such an oddity to me. I personally didn't care for it, but it was such an awards juggernaut that year. One of those years where there was little doubt it was going to get the big wins it got and then it was almost immediately forgotten. No one really knocking it (like Crash) but no one really touting it. It's never on any lists. Beyond that year, I haven't encountered a single person who has said, "You know what's a good movie? The Artist!"

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Which of this year's films will actually be remembered 20 years from now?

The article is worth a read, but I'm also just interested in hearing people's answers to that question.

It's referenced in that article, but, after having seen most of the Oscar nominated films now the movie that stands out to me as potentially having a long impact is Sorry to Bother You. I'm surprised it didn't get more recognition from awards voting.

Its the film I most feel like revisiting from this past year since I've seen it.

I haven't seen Roma yet (hoping to tonight), but I don't see a lot of longevity of the Oscar contenders I have seen. Even Black Panther, as the $700M behemoth, probably gets remembered as one of the better comic book films of this era but still ultimately blends into the massive MCU franchise over time.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Which of this year's films will actually be remembered 20 years from now?

The article is worth a read, but I'm also just interested in hearing people's answers to that question.
If one looks at the films from 19 years ago, a surprising number still have name recognition--The Matrix; The Sixth Sense; Toy Story 2, and so on. So for sure, whether we like them all or not, a dozen or so films will be remembered in twenty years. My sure thing pick would be Roma, which will be remembered as one of the best films in Mexican history and likely Cuaron's high water mark. I think Black Panther could have a long shelf life too in a kind of Raiders of the Lost Ark way. My third pick would be Cold War which may end up being seen as a kind of hyper-modern Casablanca.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oscars came and went this year and I just had no interest in anything about it.

Looks like I missed the trashing of Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption a couple of pages ago. Of the movies that are beloved and well received, they're easily the two that I hate most. Shamelessly manipulative, cheesy, melodramatic, bull-**** sentimental, hollow, and pandering trash.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
They're good movies.

This thing where people hate a movie because they think it is making people they dislike happy is really lame.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They're good movies.

This thing where people hate a movie because they think it is making people they dislike happy is really lame.
Yikes. This is a whole new level of delusional and insecure. Who are you even referring to that you think people dislike and have a vendetta against? You?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad