2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I know we've got quite a few wingers for next season, but I'd love to see Anaheim try and go after Kapanen or Johnsson (Kapanen would be my choice) in the off-season, they'd add a good injection of goalscoring and I struggle to see how Toronto sign both of them and Marner for next season so I could see a team being able to get them at decent value in a trade (or maybe even an offer-sheet though we'd probably not go that route). Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them moves via offer-sheet this off-season, Dubas has backed himself into a corner with some of the crazy money he's been throwing around - absolutely zero cap management by him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I know we've got quite a few wingers for next season, but I'd love to see Anaheim try and go after Kapanen or Johnsson (Kapanen would be my choice) in the off-season, they'd add a good injection of goalscoring and I struggle to see how Toronto sign both of them and Marner for next season so I could see a team being able to get them at decent value in a trade (or maybe even an offer-sheet though we'd probably not go that route). Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them moves via offer-sheet this off-season, Dubas has backed himself into a corner with some of the crazy money he's been throwing around - absolutely zero cap management by him.
I agree... you can offer sheet em for a 2ndish. If we did that i think 1 of shore/ritchie or sprong would be gone.

Aj might be good choice as he can move to c if getz is hurt or steel struggles .

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
Give them Ritchie for Kapanen’s rights and re-sign him. Don Cherry will love it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I think they got cocky. They really seemed to bank on Matthews taking less than McDavid(and maybe Tavares), Marner taking less than that and Nylander just taking one for the team. They really should've moved on the big two the minute Tavares was signed and just moved on from Nylander altogether.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Toronto is definitely in a bind, but the solution seems pretty obvious. You move Nylander. Kadri next if you have to.
Na I think they just move on from Kadri. They can get a good D for him. Then you have PM take over as Shut down center if Nylander cant play center. They shuffle the money around that way.

Reactions: teddygmr

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Bob trying to go back to his Stay-at-home with puck moving D pairings? Plus, if you can't find that big shot from the blue line d-man, then you grab a D-man who prevents the other team from scoring.

Magnus-Manson
Fowler-Jani
Larsson-?

(I'm just throwing up pairings, not their actual positions.)

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Apparently the Ducks have signed Finnish defenseman Jani Hakanpää to a one year one-way deal Kärppien kärkipuolustajalle NHL-sopimus – Siirtyy ensi kaudeksi Anaheimiin

Sorry I didn't find any articles in English. Hopefully we the organization conforms the signing.

Jani Hakanpää at eliteprospects.com

Nice! I was looking at the UFAs that would have some more youth and more upside than Holzer as a 6-7 Dman and he was one that stuck out. I think he will be a cheaper option than what’s available.

Since we didn’t try to sign ANY college UFAs the only other UFA Dman that I like are Yelesin but that’s not likely. Kaski sounds like he might be too soft and would hold up Larsson and Guhles progression, but I’m up to sign as much competition as possible.

How about Witkoski? He would be a good 7th Dman and 14th forward to protect our prospects.

Cam Hakanpaa
Hampus Manson
Guhle/Larsson Dotchin
Witkoski??

Last edited:
Reactions: teddygmr

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Big and physical stay at home D. Maybe someone who follows Kärpät closely can tell more about him. I'd say he is better than Holzer tho.

Holzer played hard for us but he was a big liability missing on hits and trying to be more offensive than he is capable of. I think he would be a great AHL guy for us like a Tropp but think he would prefer to make more in Euro leagues.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
put hampus with fowler and try guhle with manson

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Nice! I was looking at the UFAs that would have some more youth and more upside than Holzer as a 6-7 Dman and he was one that stuck out. I think he will be a cheaper option than what’s available.

Since we didn’t try to sign ANY college UFAs the only other UFA Dman that I like are Yelesin but that’s not likely. Kaski sounds like he might be too soft and would hold up Larsson and Guhles progression, but I’m up to sign as much competition as possible.

How about Witkoski? He would be a good 7th Dman and 14th forward to protect our prospects.

Cam Hakanpaa
Hampus Manson
Guhle/Larsson Dotchin
Witkoski??

Now Hampus Manson is a REAL hockey name.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Everytime i've seen Hakanpaa i've been been impressed with his stick defensively. Very active with a long reach, he disrupts a lot of plays with it and can cover passing lanes well. Mobility will be the hurdle for him, i'm just not sure it's quite there for more than sheltered minutes.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hey duck fans was wondering what you guys think about this deal?

Marner for Manson+9th overall+Sam steel/Issac Lunderstrom.

If the leafs cant work out a deal with marner I'm hoping they work on a trade that can help our team for next year and beyond. Would the ducks be looking at using young valuable asset to get a elite winger looking for 10+ million or is this not a deal that makes sense for the ducks.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Hey duck fans was wondering what you guys think about this deal?

Marner for Manson+9th overall+Sam steel/Issac Lunderstrom.

If the leafs cant work out a deal with marner I'm hoping they work on a trade that can help our team for next year and beyond. Would the ducks be looking at using young valuable asset to get a elite winger looking for 10+ million or is this not a deal that makes sense for the ducks.

Makes zero sense for Anaheim. Firstly, we can't afford it. We're also far deeper on the wings than anywhere else. What we need is a Top 4 D and most of all, a future 1C.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Makes zero sense for Anaheim. Firstly, we can't afford it. We're also far deeper on the wings than anywhere else. What we need is a Top 4 D and most of all, a future 1C.
Ahh I see, sorry for the poor proposal than. Leafs dont have a young developing center they could give up(unless you have the belief nylander can be a center but he has too high a hit for the ducks to absorb).

Noma

Everytime i've seen Hakanpaa i've been been impressed with his stick defensively. Very active with a long reach, he disrupts a lot of plays with it and can cover passing lanes well. Mobility will be the hurdle for him, i'm just not sure it's quite there for more than sheltered minutes.

I don't think mobility is a problem for him. He used to be a bit heavy-footed but he has improved his skating and actually is fairly average nowadays which means above-average for a guy his size. He has also found some offensive upside in him. Kärpät has even used him in the PP as a net-front guy and he has scored some goals from there as well.
Screenshot 2019-04-27 at 20.50.37.png

Reactions: Opak

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Apparently the Ducks have signed Finnish defenseman Jani Hakanpää to a one year one-way deal Kärppien kärkipuolustajalle NHL-sopimus – Siirtyy ensi kaudeksi Anaheimiin

Sorry I didn't find any articles in English. Hopefully we the organization conforms the signing.

Jani Hakanpää at eliteprospects.com
Here is the article as translated by Google:

THOUGHT • SPORTS
NHL contract for the top defender of the flippers - Moves to Anaheim next season
4/27/2014 4:46 PM Updated 4/4/19 4:48 PM Samuel Savolainen in United States
Jani Hakanpää, the defender of the flies, will move to NHL next season.
Jani Hakanpää from Kärppie, who will play against the League Final, will be transferred to the NHL. Photo by Pekka Rautiainen
Jani Hakanpää, 27, defends the offspring for the next season to the NHL. According to Hämeen Sanomat, Hakanpää has signed a one-year one-year agreement with Anaheim Ducks.
Hakanpää has been spinning the last four through Kärp. In this season, he scored a power of 11 + 12 = 23 in a 52-season match.
In the spring of 2013, Hakanpää moved to the organization of St. Louis Blues, who reserved him for the NHL, but his account did not include any NHL matches in 2013-2015, but he played in the farm at AHL and ECHL. Hasa

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Ahh I see, sorry for the poor proposal than. Leafs dont have a young developing center they could give up(unless you have the belief nylander can be a center but he has too high a hit for the ducks to absorb).
Do Leafs fans believe Marner will be a cap casualty? Don't trade him to a Ducks rival whatever you do :D

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Do Leafs fans believe Marner will be a cap casualty? Don't trade him to a Ducks rival whatever you do :D

Not really a casualty but trading him for a young rhd signed for 3+ seasons and a top 15 pick would be really great value that fixes our depth issues for next year. Hypothetically speaking if we got the ducks 1st rounder (9th) if I'm dubas that is going straight to New York rangers along with zaitsev for either a late 1st or one of their 2nds. That's 4.5 million freed along with a top 4 rhd on the roster. Use the cap space left over to go after two of skinner, ferland, nyqvist, dzingle, zuccarello, Lee, etc. Obviously its risky as marner is a 95 point elite winger and we want to keep him first and foremost. However if he is going to bleed us high and dry and their isnt a suitable market for nylander than get that top 4rhd and the outlet to dealing zaitsev ( top 15 first rounder) and go and sign 2 free agent wingers. Risky plan that leaf fans would live to avoid but it will come down to Dubas and what he thinks is best for building a winner. If he values improving our backend at RHD and adding depth wingers who can play with our two star centers than he takes this route. Of not he might go for different trades or maybe even give into a bad deal for Marner. The offseason hasn't started yet but this will one of the most important summers for the leafs future chances at winning a cup.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Dubas will sign Marner. How he gets out of the financial mess the Leafs will be in will make for some interesting off season theater. Stay tuned.

IMO, Kadri is as good as gone. If somebody want to overpay for Nylander, he could go, but I don't think that will happen. The problem Dubas has is timing. He really can't do anything until Marner is resolved. If he moves anybody early he likely won't get good value and Marner's camp will just dig in deeper knowing they have the upper hand now. If he drags that out he leaves himself open to offer sheets for Marner as well as Kapanen and maybe even Johnsson.

If he caves early to Marner (10.5+) he then still has to move quickly to shed money and how much will he have to try and sign Kap and AJ anyway?

I can't see him getting fair value for anybody when he is forced into making deals for financial reasons. I'm fairly certain that leaf fans will not be happy no matter how this turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad