2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Which makes Bob's attempts to win meaningless games last year even more perplexing. It hurt our chances at finding a franchise center
Exactly. Probably lose out on Zegras & Dach now because of the Krebs injury. If they ended up drafting Krebs well he fits right in with the injured Ducks franchise.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
That is really an ownership question though, isn't it? From an asset management POV, BM wouldn't give up anything of real value and certainly not a high 2nd or a 22 year-old defensemen that cost them a top 4 RHD just a few months ago! Only if ownership told BM to get rid of Perry via trade and not buy-out would anything of value be required to divest themselves of Perry. I would hope the Samueli's put the team ahead of the money.
See I don't get this type of thinking. If we're not adding good players how do we ever get to be the 1 peice away? You add good players when they're available because you dont know if anyone will be later. Now I agree you have to weigh the anticipated contract term ans value vs what makes sense but it shouldn't be an automatic non starter.

Reactions: Sen sational

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
See I don't get this type of thinking. If we're not adding good players how do we ever get to be the 1 peice away? You add good players when they're available because you dont know if anyone will be later. Now I agree you have to weigh the anticipated contract term ans value vs what makes sense but it shouldn't be an automatic non starter.
i think the idea would be drafting and developing players into those good players and then adding that one piece you're missing to be an over the top contender.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think if they can move Perry it could be for a veteran D to play with Fowler or Lindholm depending on the player, or they will sign an inexpensive person to fill that roll. Other than that, I think they will stand still as far as FA and make a move mid season if they think they need a player.

they have a window the next couple years with Getz, then they will move on to the youth movement, with the aging players like Rakell.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Adding players via the UFA route is the most expensive way to build a roster. History shows that for every great signing there are probably five bad ones. The Ducks are in the process of extricating themselves from the contracts of Perry, Kesler, and Eaves. It isn't pretty. Why would they plunge back into that expensive and usually unrewarding market?

Now, there are certain times when it might make sense to go the UFA route. I look at the Kings and see one such example. They had a bad year but have Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, and Carter on long-term deals that will be hard to get out of. Should they go the tank route while keeping all that salary on their books? A case could be made either way but if I'm their ownership I tell Blake to get younger, faster, and better all at the same time. That means drafting well but also filling holes now via free agency or trade. The more likely route is free agency given they don't want to give up prospects or picks. That approach, however, makes no sense for the Ducks since they'll soon have only Getzlaf in the over 30 expensive contract category and his deal ends in 2 years. For the Ducks, it makes sense to turn the page and continue to build the roster through the draft and shrewd trades.

Hope that helps.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Stephens now has an article up on the athletic about the Perry situation with quotes from Getzlaf.

I’ll chime in and say I’m all for a trade with retention but a buyout makes absolutely zero sense. I guess they are only consider buying him out because Perry is pushing for a new home.

The buyout makes a ton of sense. It opens up a needed roster for a younger forward and saves $4M in actual cash. The downside is the salary cap implications in years 3 and 4, but at that Getz and Kesler's contracts will have peeled off and the cap will have gone up. This is the year to either buy him out or never do it - much less cap and actual money savings if they wait an additional year.

Another way of looking at this is what can the ducks do with the $4M in actual cash savings? The answer is that they have several young players - like Kase and Terry (not to mention Silf) who can take those minutes and plenty of options for a fourth line.

he was honestly better than i expected coming off major knee surgery

why not just let him play out his contract and retire a duck? guy's been a franchise cornerstone for years and its not like he'd be a bad bottom 6 option. don't see why there's any urgency to get this done. obviously it has everything to do with murray and perry's relationship gone sour

I agree he was better than expected after surgery. But to suggest the ducks should just let him play out his contract for emotional reasons means you're just resigned to having two more bad seasons - seasons where the young guys are blocked so Perry and his fans can feel good. Perry is not a good fit on a fourth line and, in truth, he doesn't have a spot on the ducks top 3 lines given the glut of forwards. I think he has something left in the tank, but no spot on this roster to show it.

And regarding Perry's relationship with the ducks, it has been a long term issue with his effort, in season focus, and off season training. If the relationship has gone sour (and I think it has), that is mostly on Perry. Murray and the ducks have been very clear about their expectations and Perry has not met them.

Oct 18, 2011
It's hard for me to shovel so much blame on players when our science and training departments have been rumored to be substandard compared to the rest of the league which probably has helped contribute to how we're up there in man games lost over the last 5 years. Perhaps our veteran players could have aged better if we didn't run them into the ground

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I’m behind so I’ll just add a few thoughts relating to last few pages.

Trading Perry with retention is okay. Buying him out is very stupid. Very little financial gain, and you make a tough contract have implications for 4 years instead of 2. That’s pretty god damn Pejorative Slured for 4 million total savings.

The Kessel love is stunning to me. Just what we need, another NMC to deal with during the expansion...

Duchene is not coming here. People doing what most of us have done for years, talk about prize FA’s when everyone damn well knows Bob isn’t going to go there.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I’m behind so I’ll just add a few thoughts relating to last few pages.

Trading Perry with retention is okay. Buying him out is very stupid. Very little financial gain, and you make a tough contract have implications for 4 years instead of 2. That’s pretty god damn ******ed for 4 million total savings.

The Kessel love is stunning to me. Just what we need, another NMC to deal with during the expansion...

Duchene is not coming here. People doing what most of us have done for years, talk about prize FA’s when everyone damn well knows Bob isn’t going to go there.

Buying him out saves $4M in actual cash money. Dollars that can be used for other purposes (or put in the bank for next year). I understand your point about making a 2 year contract a 4 year problem, but the deferred cap hit in 2021-22 and 2022-23 almost certainly won't be an issue. By then Eaves and Getzlaf's contract will have peeled off and most likely Kesler's too (due to injury retirement) and, of course, the cap goes up. 2022-23 could be an issue when Lindholm, Manson and Rackell are all UFA, but even then I doubt it will be an issue given money freed up by other departures.

I think the ducks are better off trading Perry with retention assuming the price is right. I think a decent argument can be made for keeping him, but you end up blocking younger guys. But buying him out is not stupid - a very good argument can be (and has been made) for doing that.

One thing you ignore in our post is the opportunity cost of keeping Perry. He's blocking younger players and will probably be an unhappy camper on fourth line and/or being scratched. That is what's ahead for him.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Looks like Nashville want to get rid of Subban. If only Nashville would be willing to take Perry + in that deal :D

Sure PK has some antics, but I have a belief that he would be valuable to us. RH, offensive D with skill that would make him our main guy on a PP. Sure he is overpaid but at least he puts up numbers even in Josi's shadow. Comparing to Shattenkirk, who ''has a big shot on the PP'' yet have scored only 7 goals in 2 years with the Rangers, PK would add an element we need, + he`s the agitating/physical type of player that we like on our team.

Again - we would have to add massively, pretty surely to the point where we`d hang up. I understand this is a pipe dream at best but this is a long offseason already and I`m just daydreaming :D

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Looks like Nashville want to get rid of Subban. If only Nashville would be willing to take Perry + in that deal :D

Sure PK has some antics, but I have a belief that he would be valuable to us. RH, offensive D with skill that would make him our main guy on a PP. Sure he is overpaid but at least he puts up numbers even in Josi's shadow. Comparing to Shattenkirk, who ''has a big shot on the PP'' yet have scored only 7 goals in 2 years with the Rangers, PK would add an element we need, + he`s the agitating/physical type of player that we like on our team.

Again - we would have to add massively, pretty surely to the point where we`d hang up. I understand this is a pipe dream at best but this is a long offseason already and I`m just daydreaming :D
Id give up a good amount for subban

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Id give up a good amount for subban
Wouldn`t like to go too far but of course he will be pricey and there will be teams that will offer big value for him, quite likely. We need to send a secret agent and get Poile drunk or something :sarcasm:

Another interesting name ut there is Nolan. A big body center with good IQ and work ethic, it`s something we could use but not sure what we could send in exchange if it is even true - PHI reportedly want someone to help immediately. Don`t see us as good trade partners either, but that`s a very interesting name on the trade market.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wouldn`t like to go too far but of course he will be pricey and there will be teams that will offer big value for him, quite likely. We need to send a secret agent and get Poile drunk or something :sarcasm:

Another interesting name ut there is Nolan. A big body center with good IQ and work ethic, it`s something we could use but not sure what we could send in exchange if it is even true - PHI reportedly want someone to help immediately. Don`t see us as good trade partners either, but that`s a very interesting name on the trade market.
I got excited when i saw nolan then realized we dont have anything to get him with. So i passed on that dream...

Subban makes a bit of sense tho

Reactions: Trojans86

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I got excited when i saw nolan then realized we dont have anything to get him with. So i passed on that dream...

Subban makes a bit of sense tho
In both cases I think we are bad trading partners. Those teams are trying to stay competitive so they will look for something that helps them now and we are not that good at offering this. In Nolans case perhaps Henrique but I doubt it will work out.
But who knows.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

I wonder what the ask would be. He is a young center that definitely fills a need. I'd imagine they'd want our 9oa as a starter

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I wonder what the ask would be. He is a young center that definitely fills a need. I'd imagine they'd want our 9oa as a starter

They aren't going to trade him for the sake of trading him, so no I doubt they'd be interested in our pick 9 as a starter at all. It sounds like they're after a more proven top 6 center or want to shore up their blueline, in all likelihood there's no deal to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad