2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
My real question is what do people here think we're going to do on RW? Perry, Silf, Kase, Terry and Sprong all deserve playing time. What do you think we'll do?

My two cents: Move Kase over to LW

Jones/Ritchie - Getzlaf - Sprong/Perry
Rakell - Steel - Silf
Kase - Henrique - Terry
Shore - Rowney - Sprong/Perry

Maybe Ritchie or Shore could be moved?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Adam McQuaid but I doubt Murray spends that much. You're talking about a #6 you're not gonna get a Manson clone or Nurse
Realistically Dotchin worked for this team
He's cheap, he hits, he's young, he has upside Tampa protected him during the draft
He was a - 4
Better than Manson, Fowler, and Lindholm

I agree on the foundation that the Ducks defense is way too timid and needs to get tougher, but sometimes I can't tell if you're trolling or not. If you're gonna bring up +/-, Dotchin was a minus 4, in 20 games. That translates to minus 16-17 in a full season, while averaging half the icetime of Manson, Fowler and Lindholm. Luke Schenn was a minus 6 in just 8 games, playing 12 minutes per game, despite the fact that the Ducks actually opened the season decently.

Meanwhile you take shots at Megna, Welinski and Holzer. Megna was a -1 and Holzer was actually a +5 while playing 16 minutes per game, significantly more than Dotchin and Schenn, and he's also quite physical (averaging over two hits per game). If you're gonna use +/- as an argument, at least be consistant with it. Dotchin and Schenn are just as much scrubs as those three other guys. Schenn was playing the worst of all. He got credit for his hits, but he got out of position several times in those games early in the season. And Tampa didn't protect Dotchin in the expansion draft, they protected Coburn, Hedman and Stralman on D...

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Going for EK for 7y around 10-12m (likely with a full NMC) is exactaly that kind of contract that will get discussed halfway down how stupid a GM is to hand out that kind of money to a player with his injury history.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Adam McQuaid would be nice but I'm afraid that some team will overpay him. Don't want another Stoner situation (the guy was good but not worth the money).

In the offseason, the Ducks should re-sign Miller and get a veteran defenseman so they don't have to overplay youngsters or bad depth players. Maybe re-sign Holzer as 7th defenseman.

I wouldn't make any big FA forward signings, there's already a logjam going in next season. Let the kids fight for spots in the lineup and there's already enough veteran presence in the team. Main goal is to convince Kesler to retire, it's beyond crazy at this point.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The Oliwer Kaski situation (apparently signed an ELC with an unknown NHL team) has already been mentioned, but a bunch of other rumors have also surfaced from Finland:

According to Finnish tabloid Iltasanomat, Liiga finalist and defending champion Kärpät will lose a bunch of players to North America. The most notable name is Kärpät top scorer Ville Leskinen (LW), who apparently was close to making the jump to the NHL last offseason but decided to stay in Finland for one more season. Iltasanomat reports that he has received another NHL offer, it is now expected that he'll accept it.

Then there's a pair of defensemen, Jani Hakanpää (RD) and Teemu Kivihalme (LD), both of which are apparently "finalizing negotiations with NHL teams". Hakanpää has a history with St. Louis, but I believe he's a Group VI UFA at this point. Kivihalme was drafted by Nashville in 2013, but those rights have since expired due to no ELC offer.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Oliwer Kaski situation (apparently signed an ELC with an unknown NHL team) has already been mentioned, but a bunch of other rumors have also surfaced from Finland:

According to Finnish tabloid Iltasanomat, Liiga finalist and defending champion Kärpät will lose a bunch of players to North America. The most notable name is Kärpät top scorer Ville Leskinen (LW), who apparently was close to making the jump to the NHL last offseason but decided to stay in Finland for one more season. Iltasanomat reports that he has received another NHL offer, it is now expected that he'll accept it.

Then there's a pair of defensemen, Jani Hakanpää (RD) and Teemu Kivihalme (LD), both of which are apparently "finalizing negotiations with NHL teams". Hakanpää has a history with St. Louis, but I believe he's a Group VI UFA at this point. Kivihalme was drafted by Nashville in 2013, but those rights have since expired due to no ELC offer.
Wasnt BM on a scouting trip to finland earlier this season... i feel like i remember readin that on here

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Going for EK for 7y around 10-12m (likely with a full NMC) is exactaly that kind of contract that will get discussed halfway down how stupid a GM is to hand out that kind of money to a player with his injury history.
He put up good #s for a player comin off injuries. With our big money comin off the books and nothing big really being added outside of fowler, i think we have room to risk on EK. Rhd and offense from back end is our biggest weakness.. EK is still a top 3-5 offensive dmen.... should be healthier next year. Ups our 5 v 5 offense, our offense from back end and our powerplay

Ek on this roster can be used as offense, and matched up vs non top line players... lindholm takes all the dzone faceoffs and hard match ups + pk.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
He put up good #s for a player comin off injuries. With our big money comin off the books and nothing big really being added outside of fowler, i think we have room to risk on EK. Rhd and offense from back end is our biggest weakness.. EK is still a top 3-5 offensive dmen.... should be healthier next year. Ups our 5 v 5 offense, our offense from back end and our powerplay

Ek on this roster can be used as offense, and matched up vs non top line players... lindholm takes all the dzone faceoffs and hard match ups + pk.
Won't they still need to move a little bit of salary like say, Shore for a 3rd round pick ?
Fowler/Karlsson
Lindholm/Manson

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I agree on the foundation that the Ducks defense is way too timid and needs to get tougher, but sometimes I can't tell if you're trolling or not. If you're gonna bring up +/-, Dotchin was a minus 4, in 20 games. That translates to minus 16-17 in a full season, while averaging half the icetime of Manson, Fowler and Lindholm. Luke Schenn was a minus 6 in just 8 games, playing 12 minutes per game, despite the fact that the Ducks actually opened the season decently.

Meanwhile you take shots at Megna, Welinski and Holzer. Megna was a -1 and Holzer was actually a +5 while playing 16 minutes per game, significantly more than Dotchin and Schenn, and he's also quite physical (averaging over two hits per game). If you're gonna use +/- as an argument, at least be consistant with it. Dotchin and Schenn are just as much scrubs as those three other guys. Schenn was playing the worst of all. He got credit for his hits, but he got out of position several times in those games early in the season. And Tampa didn't protect Dotchin in the expansion draft, they protected Coburn, Hedman and Stralman on D...
How the Seattle expansion draft in 2021 could impact the...

" It was less than two years ago when then-GM Steve Yzerman made a side deal with the Vegas Golden Knights, giving up Russian prospect Nikita Gusev, a second-round pick (in 2017) and a fourth-rounder (in 2018). In exchange, Tampa Bay got to protect young defensemen Jake Dotchin and Slater Koekkoek, and it also received cap relief, ensuring Vegas picked Jason Garrison, 34, who had another year at $4.6 million AAV"

I never said Dotchin is better than Manson, Lindholm or Fowler my point is he is a good physical big hitting #6 dman
Holzer is not quite physical or are you referring to the Charmin soft wusses Megna/Welinski?
Again please name a better realistic option for a physical bottom pairing dman that's available?

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
BM needs to consider not only his top six defensemen, but also 7 - 9 depth. Given the injuries that any hockey team has during the season, let alone the Ducks of the past few years, depth on defense is absolutely necessary. If we assume that the top three defensemen are set for the Ducks, they need three additional defensemen plus spares. I think that the Ducks look to Larsson for one of these three positions, and possibly Guhle and/or Dotchin for the other two. Guhle may benefit from more time in the AHL and Dotchin may have some unknown issues, so neither is a sure thing. I could see BM signing a vet as well for stability and depth, although that has not worked out well in the past.

I like the potential physicality of Dotchin, but I am unsure if he is going to be able to last a full season. I am willing, however, to give him a chance if the team is otherwise satisfied with his personal situation. I have not seen enough of Guhle due to his injuries to really know enough about whether he can play at the NHL level at this point in time.

The Ducks stand to lose Holzer, Megna, and Welinski as UFA's, and I don't see anyone at San Diego other than Dotchin if you don't put him in the top 6 that would even fit as 7 - 9 depth at this point in time. I would probably see if I could sign two of Holzer, Megna and Welinski as 7 - 9 defensemen. Holzer seems to me to be a good #7, in that he can sit in the press box most of the time and still perform at a minimal NHL level when called upon. While I don't think that ay of the three are great, they can be serviceable for a time if needs be.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
How would you guys feel about taking a shot on Grigorenko for under a million? It was reported earlier in the year that he wants to comeback to the NHL. He's talented, maybe the stint in the KHL helped him. I'd be interested in giving him a shot here.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
How would you guys feel about taking a shot on Grigorenko for under a million? It was reported earlier in the year that he wants to comeback to the NHL. He's talented, maybe the stint in the KHL helped him. I'd be interested in giving him a shot here.

Yeah no more of those kinds of players. We don't need "plugs" we have plenty of those. We need some actual producers that can somewhat carry the offense for us.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Grigorenko was a ghost in a lot of games - even during his supposed 'best days' down in Junior. I have no problem adding Russian players, but not that one.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
For the first time in a long time I don't think Bob needs to be shopping the FA market for forwards. Depth guys at least, there are already enough options for the bottom 6 next season. A solid, reliable defenseman is a much bigger need - Stralman, McQuaid, Carl Gunnarson.

So...inb4 Ben Lovejoy comes back as 7th Dman and winds up paired with Cam in the top 4.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
For the first time in a long time I don't think Bob needs to be shopping the FA market for forwards. Depth guys at least, there are already enough options for the bottom 6 next season. A solid, reliable defenseman is a much bigger need - Stralman, McQuaid, Carl Gunnarson.

So...inb4 Ben Lovejoy comes back as 7th Dman and winds up paired with Cam in the top 4.
I also wouldn't mind having Coburn or Jordie Benn. I am still hoping we can acquire Colin Miller from Vegas to give us an offensive RHD with a big shot.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
If the Leafs let Gardiner walk, I hope Bob realizes he doesn't have to go after him. We've already had enough players who wilt in pressure games.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If the Leafs let Gardiner walk, I hope Bob realizes he doesn't have to go after him. We've already had enough players who wilt in pressure games.
I wouldn't be too worried. Hes nothing like a Weber type D man and another LS. Only way that becomes possible is if he moves Fowler which I can't see. I really want to see where that Finnish guy signed. If Murray already had a plan to replace Montour that move makes a lot more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad