Speculation: 2019 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Oh man, it would be funny to bet against all of your 3 accounts, but i'm too nice. :)

Seth Jones will have a bidding war, Panarin will never see even in his wet dreams.

And why are you so adamant he's going to UFA?

Reactions: thebus88

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
And why are you so adamant he's going to UFA?
Idk why were you so adamant with "playoff lock" mocking posts in last 2 months of season? :)

Just a feeling, like i said, no playoffs for 2 years in a row, he's gone. And there were lot of talks/opinions from talking heads, that if he was on big market team he would have been recognized/appreciated more.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
My guess is that Seth will be a Blue Jacket for life unless the team completely implodes. He's not a glitz and glam guy, he's tight with Boone and Josh, etc...

I sure hope so.

Boone & Seth hit UFA at the same time. Who knows if Josh will be still be around by that time. (hope for that too :laugh:)

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I'm beginning to think that if the CBJ were a single guy he'd be fairly attractive but in need of breath mints and better deodorant lol.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
You guys thinking Seth Jones is more "marketable" because he's black are f***ing bananas. If he goes to UFA, there will be a huge bidding war because he's a franchise player, and it won't have a thing to do with him being black. It was stupid to hear Maylo mention it, and just as bad to hear majormajor legitimize the take.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You guys thinking Seth Jones is more "marketable" because he's black are ****ing bananas. If he goes to UFA, there will be a huge bidding war because he's a franchise player, and it won't have a thing to do with him being black. It was stupid to hear Maylo mention it, and just as bad to hear majormajor legitimize the take.

He is more marketable. The league itself markets whatever non-White athletes it can, and I think there's some spillover from that into other kinds of endorsements / marketing, etc... I don't think it effects his price in UFA much, which will obviously be very high because he's a franchise player. And I don't think Maylo's point made a lot of sense in context, because all of that stuff has nothing to do with whether Seth is a Blue Jacket in the long run.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
He's earned that right so I think it's greater than 50% he exercises that right.
I have no idea if he will, but I think we all need to be prepared (like with Panarin) he can.

He also has earned the right as a RFA to seek offer sheets or request a trade if he wanted to. He didn't. Obviously we have to prepare for it in the event it happens, but to believe it will happen is a bit much especially right now when he's three years away from this even mattering.

I don't want to hear from people about how I am doom and gloom anymore.

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
You guys thinking Seth Jones is more "marketable" because he's black are ****ing bananas. If he goes to UFA, there will be a huge bidding war because he's a franchise player, and it won't have a thing to do with him being black. It was stupid to hear Maylo mention it, and just as bad to hear majormajor legitimize the take.
Damn you americans are really sensitive about any race mentions these days. Seth Jones being only black top 10 guy in his position/any position (who knows in 2 years?) in the league makes him more marketable. If you don't see that i have nothing to say.

No wonder Jackets had the worst "marketing team" in the entire league. No idea how it works. Ok i'm done with this topic.

Here is Torts thoughts on our next season style of play.

“I don’t think Bob’s going to be here,” said Tortorella while appearing on his Hockey and Hounds segment with hosts Anthony Rothman and Bobby Carpenter (you can listen to the full segment here).
“You’re losing a very, very good goaltender. We may have young goaltenders that are going to be taking over that position. I have to start thinking about just a little bit of a change in style of play in order to protect them a little bit to get their feet wet. Korpi has obviously played, but Merzlikins is coming in here, we have couple of other guys coming in here, I’m not sure what it looks like. So we have to start thinking about style of play.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Damn you americans are really sensitive about any race mentions these days. Seth Jones being only black top 10 guy in his position/any position (who knows in 2 years?) in the league makes him more marketable. If you don't see that i have nothing to say.

No wonder Jackets had the worst "marketing team" in the entire league. No idea how it works. Ok i'm done with this topic.

You're taken aback by the reaction to the discussion of race by Americans, but you turn around and claim to know what makes something marketable in America?

#grainofsalt

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Jones will be made captain before his contract is up , and the franchise will prop him up as the face of the franchise . Guarantee he stays here . Rick Nash came back as soon as his career ended , because he loved Columbus , and we now have a great front office . Winning changes perception , and players will always go where there’s a chance to win . We are positioned with a young core , that nearly no other team has . We have a ton of cap room . I’m not worried in the slightest . Matter of fact , put me down as guaranteeing we make the playoffs once again next year . Nashville went thru this exact same thing , had a dead arena , no fan support , no ufa would go there , they went to the finals , and are now a premier destination .

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Jones will be made captain before his contract is up , and the franchise will prop him up as the face of the franchise . Guarantee he stays here . Rick Nash came back as soon as his career ended , because he loved Columbus , and we now have a great front office . Winning changes perception , and players will always go where there’s a chance to win . We are positioned with a young core , that nearly no other team has . We have a ton of cap room . I’m not worried in the slightest . Matter of fact , put me down as guaranteeing we make the playoffs once again next year . Nashville went thru this exact same thing , had a dead arena , no fan support , no ufa would go there , they went to the finals , and are now a premier destination .

I'm going to start calling you Joe Namath because it feels like 80% of your posts guarantee something. (Bob traded, Duchene staying, Jones staying, and now playoffs).

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Nashville will need to find a taker for Turris first. And I hope it's not Jarmo.
Going to need to do more than that because they also need to extend Josi. I'm not really advocating taking on Turris but if that were the case some serious assets should be coming with him. I suggested Tolvanen, Fabbro and a 1st for an extended Duchene (I think we would lose our first if we sign him to the deal). I really don't like that contract though. Already dead weight and 5 years remaining.

Now, what about Granlund as a UFA signing? Not sure he's still playing C though. could be a good fit and unlikely to break the bank?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If Duchene is going to Nashville, then Subban is gonzo.

Turris is going to need retention, another asset or a bad contract coming back. Nashville is stuck like chuck with him. Probably Poile's worst contract that I've seen him sign since I've been following the Preds.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

:thumbu: :5:

I'm going to start calling you Joe Namath because it feels like 80% of your posts guarantee something. (Bob traded, Duchene staying, Jones staying, and now playoffs).

He's right though, on at least 3 of those 4. C-B-J!!

The crow is on the menu....AGAIN. Maybe not you as much this summer/for this upcoming year, but the doom and gloom is only going to ratchet up for the next couple months, even if moves are made that will literally be good for the team.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Just a FYI, the CBJ were fine before Panarin, and will be fine after he's gone. The same exact thing can be said for Duchene.

Jarmo's comments about wanting people who want to be in Columbus should not be downplayed or frowned upon.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Someone who's been overlooked so far throughout this thread is Brayden Point. Tampa is reeeeal close to the cap and are apparently looking at signing EK65.

Offersheet Point if Duchene walks?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Someone who's been overlooked so far throughout this thread is Brayden Point. Tampa is reeeeal close to the cap and are apparently looking at signing EK65.

Offersheet Point if Duchene walks?

I would yes, but partly just because it would mess with a conference rival. Unlike Toronto, Tampa has the flexibility to match whatever offer sheet.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
:thumbu: :5:

He's right though, on at least 3 of those 4. C-B-J!!

The crow is on the menu....AGAIN. Maybe not you as much this summer/for this upcoming year, but the doom and gloom is only going to ratchet up for the next couple months, even if moves are made that will literally be good for the team.

Summer hasn’t even started yet. I’ll reserve my call for next year when July comes around. But if we go into next season with who is currently under contract with no other additions or subtractions, this isn’t a playoff team. However, this point means nothing because there’s almost no chance we make no moves. Well see. It is definitely an uphill battle this offseason

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I would yes, but partly just because it would mess with a conference rival. Unlike Toronto, Tampa has the flexibility to match whatever offer sheet.

Do they, though? Tampa has to sign 7 players this offseason with ~8M in cap space, including Point, and also have to extend Vasilevski for after the '19-20 season. Granted Callahan's contract falls off after this coming year, however they're still saddled with Killorn, Miller, Gourde, Johnson, and Palat all making between 4.5-5.3M per year for at least three more years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig