Speculation: 2019 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
welp. I am typing this as i'm sitting here in NWA after game 6. brutal. didn't want to have to make this thread just yet, but the time has come.

UFA's:

Panarin, Bobrovsky, Duchene, Dzingel, McQuaid, Kinkaid.

RFA's:

Murray, Robinson, Merzlikins, Korpisalo, Harrington, Clendening, Werenski, Sedlak, Hannikainen

----------------

let the off season talk begin...

pled

Sep 7, 2009
with how things ended I think it really conclude bread and bob story for good. I kinda lost hope they have any chance to stay here. Duchy still have some hope I guess if the other 2 leave they have enough money for whatever he want.

not sure what to do with dzing if he ask too much id pass.

the rfa could all stay. idk if clendening can develop more and he really don't belong in nhl but he can help cleveland.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Try to sign Duchene but let all the other UFAs walk. I’ll personally drive Dzingel to the airport. I think Duchene caught a bit of CBJ fever but it will fade over the next few weeks. Will he want to be the main offensive threat on a team with Korpi/Elvis in net?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Let everyone walk. Just move the franchise to Quebec and be done with it.

Arena football is the new boss in town

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As I mentioned in the other thread, I think they can resign Duchene and Dzingel. What will be interesting is how Jarmo compensates for the loss of Bread.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
No no no no no. Dont even start this shit i dont want to remember we are losing Bob and Panarin.. Best players in franchise history are going somewhere else. Dont even want to think next season its going be horrible.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Assuming Bob wants what he wants, let him walk. I’d try to re-sign Panarin and Duchene. Don’t think Panarin will, but still learning that Duchene is more likely to than not. Don’t think I’d try to bring back Dzingel, just doesn’t seem the right fit. Maybe if he comes cheap but doubt he will. Am leaning toward bringing back all RFAs, but don’t know our exact contract count and/or if that creates a log jam for some prospects. So maybe only one of Hanni and Sedlak (I’d lean toward Hanni, if so). Similarly, there maybe isn’t room for Clendening, but if there is, bring him back.

I’d probably try to buy out Dubinsky, but it might make sense to keep him if we’re not a cap team next year (which we likely wouldn’t be unless we re-sign Duchene and/or Panarin). In that case, you could potentially buy him out next year so the buyout doesn’t extend as long or maybe even get a low-salaried team to take on his contract for the final year. But for this hypothetical, I’ll say he’s bought out. See if you can trade Wennberg for anything without retention. If not, buy him out (although if Duchene doesn’t re-sign, you might have to keep him).

If Murray is healthy long-term, I’d look to trade one of our defensemen. Probably Werenski. He has the most trade value out of them (minus Jones, who should be untouchable for anything short of McDavid or Kucherov. And yes, I actually mean that) and is likely due for a decent payday (plus, I think ZW’s a bit overrated around the league). I think you could prob get a lower-end 1LW for him, maybe a bit better.

XXX (Werenski trade) - PLD - Atkinson
Texier - Duchene - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Nash centering any of Hanni, Robinson, Sedlak, Stenlund, etc., on the 4th line.

Jones - Murray
Gavrikov - Savard
Nuti - Kukan

Harrington/Peeke/Carlsson/Clendening for depth.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Goodbye Bob, I will miss you like I don’t think I’ve ever missed another player before. You were THE superstar for 7 years, and in my mind the greatest Jacket ever. I hope you get everything you want, but I always hoped you would be a career Blue Jacket.

Reactions: ViD

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Guess I didn't have to wait long for the drama deets to spill out. Sounds like there were a lot of bad feelings...

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Random thoughts...

- I think we're going to hear more and more over the summer about the friction in the locker room.
- I wouldn't be shocked if Torts decides to retire or resign.
- I would like to see Foligno turn over the captaincy to Seth Jones. You need a captain who is the best or one of your best players. The Foligno era ended tonight.
- If Milano and Wennberg are still with the team at training camp, it's because nobody wants them and we're stuck with them.
- I'm not sure if I would resign Murray. A player who is fragile and seemingly always hurt. At his best he's never been a top line D man and certainly never approached what everybody was hoping for when he was drafted No. 2 overall.

Last edited:

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I have no idea what we're going to do about goalie. I can't believe we would go into the season with Elvis and Korpisalo. Korpi had the chance this year to prove he could be a 1B type goalie and did not seize the opportunity.

For a while I thought the idea of trading for Kinkaid was that they'd sign him to something like a two year deal, platoon him with Elvis almost 50/50 next year and cross fingers that Elvis is the real thing. But I can't imagine Kinkaid would want to sign anything short term and I can't imagine we'd want to invest 3, 4, 5 years in a goalie at UFA when we have a good pipeline.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Random thoughts...

- I think we're going to hear more and more over the summer about the friction in the locker room.
- I wouldn't be shocked if Torts decides to retire or resign.
- I would like to see Foligno turn over the captaincy to Seth Jones. You need a captain who is the best or one of your best players. The Foligno era ended tonight.
- If Milano and Wennberg are still with the team at training camp, it's because nobody wants them and we're stuck with them.
- I'm not sure if I would resign Murray. At his best, when healthy (and that's a huge question) he's a serviceable D man, certainly nothing close to what we were hoping for with the No. 2 overall pick.
1. Its quite possible tidbits leak but we'll never hear the whole story
2. I don't even see that being a consideration
3. Foligno will remain the captain. Jones isn't ready and wasn't even a full time A this season since he split it was Cam. I don't believe a captain needs to be the best player. The captain needs to be someone who is a leader and people will follow him.
4. Milano will be somewhere because he will have to clear waivers. If he is here, its because they feel he finally deserves it. Wennberg should pack his stuff now.
5. Murray is a huge question mark still with everything surrounding his injury. Since jarmo said it was a 3 month time frame but he wouldn't say what it certainly seems like he just can't stay healthy.

Reactions: CPTN71

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
- I'm not sure if I would resign Murray. At his best, when healthy (and that's a huge question) he's a serviceable D man, certainly nothing close to what we were hoping for with the No. 2 overall pick.

Wennberg I agree on but think Milano needs another look. He's shown flashes of scoring ability, and we've just seen what happens when scoring by committee dries up. He hit almost a PPG this year for the Monsters and looks to have had a good playoffs. He was always a project - maybe he's finally ready. I'd put him on a line with Duchene and Bjorkstrand and see what happens.

I disagree with your assessment of Murray's ability and place on the team. But, I have a bad feeling his career is over due to the current injury.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I have no idea what we're going to do about goalie. I can't believe we would go into the season with Elvis and Korpisalo. Korpi had the chance this year to prove he could be a 1B type goalie and did not seize the opportunity.

For a while I thought the idea of trading for Kinkaid was that they'd sign him to something like a two year deal, platoon him with Elvis almost 50/50 next year and cross fingers that Elvis is the real thing. But I can't imagine Kinkaid would want to sign anything short term and I can't imagine we'd want to invest 3, 4, 5 years in a goalie at UFA when we have a good pipeline.

I believe Elvis will be starting Opening night. It is clear how highly they think of him and the way they've handled his contract situation. He has also been skating and working with Manny Legace on his own away from the rest of the team. I believe they were keeping him away from Bob and Korpi on purpose to not be a distraction. I wouldn't be surprised if they move Korpi and go into next year with an Elvis/Kinkaid combo since we know Kinkaid has a bit more experience and basically carried the Devils last season.

Reactions: CPTN71

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I believe Elvis will be starting Opening night. It is clear how highly they think of him and the way they've handled his contract situation. He has also been skating and working with Manny Legace on his own away from the rest of the team. I believe they were keeping him away from Bob and Korpi on purpose to not be a distraction. I wouldn't be surprised if they move Korpi and go into next year with an Elvis/Kinkaid combo since we know Kinkaid has a bit more experience and basically carried the Devils last season.

I'd actually be okay with that. I think Kinkaid would sign a one-year deal to be the good soldier/vet backup/mentor to the young hot shot. I think it's time to move on from Korpi. He had a real chance this season (opening night starter) and absolutely blew it. Not once was I confident with him in goal.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If Murray is healthy long-term, I’d look to trade one of our defensemen. Probably Werenski. He has the most trade value out of them (minus Jones, who should be untouchable for anything short of McDavid or Kucherov. And yes, I actually mean that) and is likely due for a decent payday (plus, I think ZW’s a bit overrated around the league). I think you could prob get a lower-end 1LW for him, maybe a bit better.

XXX (Werenski trade) - PLD - Atkinson
Texier - Duchene - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Nash centering any of Hanni, Robinson, Sedlak, Stenlund, etc., on the 4th line.

Jones - Murray
Gavrikov - Savard
Nuti - Kukan

Harrington/Peeke/Carlsson/Clendening for depth.
The thing is Murray is always injured. There's no way of knowing if he's going to be healthy long term. It would be a huge gamble if you think he'll be healthy than trade Werenski.

Maybe you think about trading him? Gavrikov takes his spot in the top 4. See if Peeke is ready to play in the NHL and Columbus was 1 of teams interested in Oliwer Kaski. I'm sure he wants to play in the NHL, not in the AHL so I'm sure if they sign him, good chance he's at number 5, 6, or 7 spot.

As for whoever said Dzingel could be brought back. Would he even want stick around? I wonder playing for Tortorella made him not want to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad