Speculation: 2019 offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
My first thought was that either Roslivic himself or his new agent told Portzline. What if he was lied to?
It's very possible that the new agent is playing some type of game, especially since his new agent is Claude Lemiux who is apparently more of a pain in the ass as an agent than he was as a player.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Do you have a definitive answer from any of your unrestricted free agents that they won’t be signing extensions with you?

I’m not sure we will know that (before July 1), because they hold all the cards. They could say, “I want to see what’s out there because I’ve come this far.” Usually, people don’t want to close doors, because why do that? But at some point, we’re going to make our own decisions. If it doesn’t work, we’ll move on and make plans.

Most people seem resigned to the fact that Bobrovsky and Panarin are leaving, but Duchene was considered more up in the air when the season ended. Any clarity from his camp?

I would think he’d consider us after everything that he’s said, but I don’t really want to get into speculations. We have our own ideas and plans for our team and how everything goes together. We’ll talk about it at the right time. He played well for us. He was a good player. It’s not just a hockey decision. I guess you could say it’s a hockey decision, but what is the price? It’s not just the contract. It’s also a first-round pick (to Ottawa as part of the conditional trade made in February).

Will you have any more talks with Bobrovsky or Panarin to try to persuade them to stay?

We’ve had so many talks. I flew to France last summer to let them know we love them and want them. I’ve talked to them I don’t know how many times. We’d like to keep them and keep them long term.

Do you have a hard date in mind for when you move on from the UFAs and start trying to shape your roster as if they aren’t going to be here?

We’ve had our pro scouts in town this week for meetings. Once we get through this week with the pro scouting, we’ll probably have a better idea. We’re going to look at the full puzzle here this week and start making some decisions on that, where we think our priorities are. I don’t count anybody out. I told Panarin and Bobrovsky, if they’d like to return, we’d like to have them. It’s not a money issue. We’ll pay market value. We realize that’s the price of doing business. If not, we’ll move ahead accordingly.

There are a few teams reportedly looking for help on defense. You’ve put together a pretty deep blue line. Any chance that’s a position you use to acquire help elsewhere on the roster, or perhaps draft picks?

I’m very happy with the depth we have on D. It might be a bit of a problem that we have too many guys who could be and should be top six, but I’ll gladly have that problem.

A conversation with Jarmo Kekalainen: Blue Jackets GM looks...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
What’s interesting to me , as the talks in France were supposed to be geared around Panarin , correct ?

If I recall correctly, it was supposed to be two different meetings, one with Panarin and one with Bob (as they were both vacationing there). Panarin took the meeting, Bobrovsky didn't.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Panarin took the meeting, Bobrovsky didn't.

I'm sorry, and I know the subject has been beat to death, but my god this just reminds me that Jarmo should have dealt him last summer.

1 of the few things I wish Jarmo would have done different.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'm sorry, and I know the subject has been beat to death, but my god this just reminds me that Jarmo should have dealt him last summer.

1 of the few things I wish Jarmo would have done different.

No Bob, no playoffs.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
As posted in the defenseman thread:

2. The Blackhawks recently talked to the Columbus Blue Jackets about acquiring defenseman Ryan Murray, according to a league source. As of now, it doesn’t appear a deal is getting done, but that of course could change in the coming weeks.

3. What do we know about Murray? He’ll turn 26 in September. He’s 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds. He’s a left-handed shot. He’s set to become a restricted free agent and can become an unrestricted free agent next year. In Evolving-Hockey’s contract projection model, he’s projected to receive a three-year contract with a $4,146,272 cap hit.
As for his ability, Murray has shown to be a top-pairing defenseman when healthy. This past season he was tied for 29th among defensemen in goals above replacement (GAR), 11th in even-strength GAR and tied for 28th in wins above replacement (WAR), according to Evolving-Hockey. As for on-ice numbers, he had a 50.61 Corsi percentage, 55.24 goals-for percentage (58 goals for and 48 against) and had a 53.71 expected goals-for percentage. He also had a 47.92 offensive zone faceoff starting percentage. He was mostly partnered with Seth Jones and Markus Nutivaara this season.
The one major concern with Murray is injury. He’s struggled to remain healthy for much of his career, playing 320 out of a possible 492 games over the last six seasons. He had last season cut short due to an upper-body injury and played just 56 games and missed the playoffs. The injuries haven’t been the same, so it may just be bad luck.

4. The Athletic’s Aaron Portzline thought the Blue Jackets would be willing to trade Murray and would probably want draft picks in exchange. The Blue Jackets only have third-round and seventh-round picks in the upcoming draft. The Blackhawks aren’t going to part with their No. 3 overall pick, but you would think they’d give up anything else if they were really interested in Murray. The Blackhawks have a second-round pick and two fourth-rounders — maybe a couple draft picks and a couple prospects get the job done, but we’ll see.

Powers: What I'm hearing about the Blackhawks this offseason...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That's your opinion, not fact. We'll see this year.

Both, with the CBJ and with Bob.

It's an opinion that must be held within the CBJ organization too, given they tried to keep him, tried replace him at least twice in season with Korpisalo yet couldn't, and started him the majority of games including the playoff games.

I get you dislike the guy but if you don't think he was an integral part of our making the playoffs then there is no reason to talk because you're just too jaded.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

The only way a defenseman should be traded for a "draft pick" is if it can immediately be flipped in some sort of package for a forward. As people may believe, I think Murray should be essentially untouchable as his value on the ice to the CBJ exceeds his "value" in all other aspects that the team could benefit from moving him.

With that said, I truly believe (at worst/with injury history in full effect) that Murray is worth a late 1st. I honestly can not believe Jarmo would move him for a 2nd and 2-4th rounders.

Perfect example of a situation where the team (if Murray agreed) to "buy low" and look to sign him for as long and as cheap as possible, because of his injury history. His "value" in salary he will get, along with his trade value will only go up from here. I believe the front office has seen enough of his actual play and impact to the CBJ team that they will not allow a team (like CHI) to come in and "buy low" on Murray.

Should we start to label Portzline rumors.....?

Murray to Chicago for picks: AP: 3

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It's an opinion that must be held within the CBJ organization too, given they tried to keep him, tried replace him at least twice in season with Korpisalo yet couldn't, and started him the majority of games including the playoff games.

Not exactly sure what you're trying to say there.

#1) You are ignoring ANY negative effect the "goalie drama" or whatever you want to call it, had on the team. #2) They didn't try to "replace him" or give Korpisalo a LEGIT chance to actually take the starters spot, "at least twice in season". I'll agree that there were probably trade talks at the beginning of the year, around the TB game and closer to the deadline, but I highly doubt Jarmo got very far along with any GM's. If he did, I bet ya he'd have been gone sooner. Korpisalo was essentially given the 1st period of the DET game, 1 start as the "starter", THATS IT.

Because of "optics" to the team or the "league"/future players/UFA's (if any ever want to come) if Bob was on the roster, he would be the starter. That's if Korpisalo was given enough opportunity and went on a big run that would have supposedly proved he could take on the role, but yes neither of those happened last year. Bob would have never been kept as the "backup", and always would have been the starter.

Once the trade opportunities dried up, so did Korpisalo's starts.

I get you dislike the guy but if you don't think he was an integral part of our making the playoffs then there is no reason to talk because you're just too jaded.

Goalies are an integral part of any hockey team. Any goalie is an integral part of making the playoffs, or not. The CBJ team of the last 3 years could have made the playoffs with many different goalies, Korpisalo included.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This is not an Aaron Portzline rumor/report. It is Scott Powers, who covers the Blackhawks.

Supposed trade value based on...?

4. The Athletic’s Aaron Portzline thought the Blue Jackets would be willing to trade Murray and would probably want draft picks in exchange. The Blue Jackets only have third-round and seventh-round picks in the upcoming draft. The Blackhawks aren’t going to part with their No. 3 overall pick, but you would think they’d give up anything else if they were really interested in Murray. The Blackhawks have a second-round pick and two fourth-rounders — maybe a couple draft picks and a couple prospects get the job done, but we’ll see.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Goalies are an integral part of any hockey team. Any goalie is an integral part of making the playoffs, or not. The CBJ team of the last 3 years could have made the playoffs with many different goalies, Korpisalo included.

Odd, because I remember reading lots of posts, coincidentally from you, that said the team was winning in spite of Bob when he went through struggles. And when he was playing well, it was because the team was playing well in front of him. When the team was losing, suddenly it became mostly his fault.

Just waiting on you to be consistent.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Odd, because I remember reading lots of posts, coincidentally from you, that said the team was winning in spite of Bob when he went through struggles. And when he was playing well, it was because the team was playing well in front of him. When the team was losing, suddenly it became mostly his fault.

Just waiting on you to be consistent.

The issue is that you relate anything 2 goals or less or a win, as "good Bob", and anything 3-4-5+ and a loss, to "bad Bob". Its not black and white like that, or "consistent".

The TEAM (of the last 3 years) wins the VAST majority of time they play "good" (because they're THAT good) and the TEAM loses most of the time they play "bad".

IMO, as goalies go, Bob has had (mmm feels good) very little impact on the teams success. I could (and have) argue, since "playoff Bob"/ and his inconsistency during not just the playoffs, is not a myth, that he's had more impact on the teams LACK of "success".

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The issue is that you relate anything 2 goals or less or a win, as "good Bob", and anything 3-4-5+ and a loss, to "bad Bob". Its not black and white like that, or "consistent".

The TEAM (of the last 3 years) wins the VAST majority of time they play "good" (because they're THAT good) and the TEAM loses most of the time they play "bad".

IMO, as goalies go, Bob has had (mmm feels good) very little impact on the teams success. I could (and have) argue, since "playoff Bob"/ and his inconsistency during not just the playoffs, is not a myth, that he's had more impact on the teams LACK of "success".

Not a surprising response given you admitted to being happy that the team lost to Boston so Bob didn’t get credit, rooting against the team you’re such a fan of.

I have said nothing about “good” or “bad” Bob at all, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad