NBA 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
-he was robbed of the MVP in 06 and 07. the league gave it to him in 08 basically to say "here, since we messed up the last few years"
-huh? from 02-03 until 12-13 he was the best player on his team. that's over half his career
-shaq was the best player in the 3-peat years but i'd love to hear your argument in regards to who was better than kobe in 09 and 10
-he was definitely the best player in the world in the mid 2000s for at least 2-3 seasons
Nash and Dirk were the best players on the leagues best team and their impact was greatly felt around. Kobe barely made the playoffs and although you could argue he was the best player in the mid 2000’s, it was far from undisputable.

Shaq was better than Kobe from 1996-2004, and Gasol was ‘arguably’ more deserving of FMVP in 2010 than Kobe was. Overall, I’d rank MJ, Kareem, LeBron, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Wilt, Shaq and Hakeem over him on the all time list, so he’s probably 10th all time

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Nash and Dirk were the best players on the leagues best team and their impact was greatly felt around. Kobe barely made the playoffs and although you could argue he was the best player in the mid 2000’s, it was far from undisputable.

Shaq was better than Kobe from 1996-2004, and Gasol was ‘arguably’ more deserving of FMVP in 2010 than Kobe was. Overall, I’d rank MJ, Kareem, LeBron, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Wilt, Shaq and Hakeem over him on the all time list, so he’s probably 10th all time

look at who dirk and nash played with in the mid 2000s and look at who kobe played with. that pretty much says it all

shaq was not better than kobe in his last two seasons with the lakers. 02-03 was the first year of kobe's prime and i'd argue he was the best player in the world that season but i think t-mac had him beat. like i said, from 02-03 to 12-13 kobe was the lakers best player, probably 13-14 as well although he barely played that season due to injury

interesting how kobe never won a title in his prime years when he was scoring at absurd rates (02-03 to 07-08)

Reactions: Voight

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Kobe was the best player in the world in 02-03? Did I get transported into some alternate reality where Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett never existed?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
All time for me I'd take Duncan before Kobe but Kobe for me goes before Garnett. Looking at stats from 2002-2003 I'd take Garnett before Bryant though.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Kobe was the best player in the world in 02-03? Did I get transported into some alternate reality where Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett never existed?
i'd put t-mac and kobe ahead of both those guys that season

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Mcgrady was good, I didn't really realize it at the time. Still when you look back and read up on the guy you discover just how good he was. Imagine those Raptors teams with Mcgrady and Carter on them in the early 2000's.

Reactions: Avs_19

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Mcgrady was good, I didn't really realize it at the time. Still when you look back and read up on the guy you discover just how good he was. Imagine those Raptors teams with Mcgrady and Carter on them in the early 2000's.
t-mac was incredible for a few years there

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008

This is one of my favourite sequences ever.

I think Kobe flirts with the top 10, it's close.

Wilt
Kareem
Jordan
Lebron
Oscar
Magic

Those guys are definitely ahead in my eyes. Kobe is in the next tier with Bird, Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem, Russell. Durant was making his way up the list for me, we'll see how he recovers.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
-he was robbed of the MVP in 06 and 07. the league gave it to him in 08 basically to say "here, since we messed up the last few years"
-huh? from 02-03 until 12-13 he was the best player on his team. that's over half his career
-shaq was the best player in the 3-peat years but i'd love to hear your argument in regards to who was better than kobe in 09 and 10
-he was definitely the best player in the world in the mid 2000s for at least 2-3 seasons

i don't think kobe was undeserving MVP candidate 06 or 07 but he wasn't robbed either. players from late seed teams don't get MVPs, save for westbrook who had ideal narrative for his win and OKC had few more wins than kobe's lakers in 07 and 07 fwiw. and being more media friendly dude over harden didn't hurt either.

and while i think he has case for being the best player for 3 seasons in mid 2000s, i don't think he was ever the clear cut best player in the game. imo there wasn't one post-shaq and pre-lebron. after shaq's peak ended and he got lazy i'd give the best player in the game title to

03- duncan
04- garnett
05- duncan
06- wade
07- duncan
08- garnett

06, 07 and 08 are the arguable ones for kobe.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

T-Mac was really fun to watch. So many what-ifs with him over his career. If he stayed with Carter in Toronto, if Hill stayed healthy in Orlando, if they pulled off the Duncan move in Orlando, if Yao stayed healthy in Houston, and there are his own injuries as well.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
look at who dirk and nash played with in the mid 2000s and look at who kobe played with. that pretty much says it all

shaq was not better than kobe in his last two seasons with the lakers. 02-03 was the first year of kobe's prime and i'd argue he was the best player in the world that season but i think t-mac had him beat. like i said, from 02-03 to 12-13 kobe was the lakers best player, probably 13-14 as well although he barely played that season due to injury

interesting how kobe never won a title in his prime years when he was scoring at absurd rates (02-03 to 07-08)
Kobe did that to himself by beefing with Shaq and once Shaq left, they never ranked higher than 7th in the west or made it out of round 1 until Gasol came. There’s certainly an argument that he was the best player somewhere between 2006-2008 but in no way was it undisputable. Bottom line, no fan base overrates their fav player more than Kobe stans

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kobe is easily top 10 IMO. As much as people want to say hes overrated, when it comes down to it hes vastly underrated.

lol shaq still mad at dwight all these years later

Kobe wasn't wrong about Shaq tho.

One of the laziest in NBA history and sure he had an amazing career but what could have been.......

Sep 19, 2008
That time on Stephen A Smith show where Shaq prodded Stephen A to talk ill of Dwight Howard :laugh:

12:32 :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad