Speculation: 2019 offseason thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
The only way this team is going to see success if by building through the draft. Until they ditch Tortz, we wont be a UFA destination (there's zero chance Nyquist would fit here with Tortz) and even then we'll still struggle to attract FA. We've already stunted the future with the deadline deals and not getting assets for Bob and Panarin, so there's no way a offer sheet makes any sense for this franchise, unless its for someone like Mcdavid, and pretty much only Mcdavid

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The three shooters line. I think those guys would appreciate a set up man in the mix.

1. As usual, I believe Dubois is being undersold here. His "vision" and creativity along with his actual passing is well above average. I believe both Atkinson AND Panarin have benefitted from playing with Dubois.

2. The line (while still being able to pull off some "pretty" plays) would clearly be more of a puck control and cycle type line. Each guy (along with Jenner/Foligno) is WELL above average when it comes to this and this would lead to open space in the slot for a guy to get open and shoot, room to drive to the net, or an open defenseman to get a shot from the point with these guys crashing the net. Any line of any 3 of the 5, would be an absolute handful.

3. Where does our top 5 overall and (imo) puck moving/playmaking/offensive defense fit into these guys having, or not having, a "set up man"? 4-5 guys on the ice, not 3.

4. Fine, split them up and give each line 1 of Atkinson and Bjorkstrand.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Islanders seem to be walking away from Lehner. I would sign him in a heart beat and deal Korpi.

Can I ask what your (and the 5 people who liked your post at the time of my posting) opinion was of Lehner 12 months ago?

What would you say his numbers proved as a 24-25 year old NHL goalie?

In what way would you consider him a better goalie than Korpisalo?

You really think Jarmo/the CBJ would hold onto him all this time and develop him, just to deal him to pick up Robin Lehner?

Thanks in advance

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
2019 CBJ SUMMER THAW SQUAD

Lee-Dubois-Atkinson
Anderson-Jenner-Bjorkstrand
Bemstrom(Texier)-Wennberg-Foligno
Texier(Robinson)-Dubinsky-Nash
Dalpe

Murray-Jones
Werenski-Savard
Gavrikov-Nutivaara
Kukan-Clendening-Peeke

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Can I ask what your (and the 5 people who liked your post at the time of my posting) opinion was of Lehner 12 months ago?

What would you say his numbers proved as a 24-25 year old NHL goalie?

In what way would you consider him a better goalie than Korpisalo?

You really think Jarmo/the CBJ would hold onto him all this time and develop him, just to deal him to pick up Robin Lehner?

Thanks in advance

Lehner has been better every season since Korpisalo has been in the NHL. Better goals against, better save percentage, better everything while playing behind a much worse defense.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV

When Opportunity knocks on your door you answer it. He would be a solid upgrade over Korpi, especially now that he has his life in order. Sticking with Korpi when you can get an upgrade for what would likely be a reasonable cost would equate to being loyal to a fault.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Lehner has been better every season since Korpisalo has been in the NHL. Better goals against, better save percentage, better everything while playing behind a much worse defense.

Good thing for the CBJ (and Korpisalo fans) this isn't fantasy hockey. Give me the extra games played and the wins in 15/16 for Korpisalo over Lehner and his .04 and .13.

Also worth noting that Lehner is nearly 28 years old and played 265 games, while Korpisalo is 25 and has played 90. Its pretty safe to say who has more growth and probable potential ahead of them.

When Opportunity knocks on your door you answer it. He would be a solid upgrade over Korpi, especially now that he has his life in order. Sticking with Korpi when you can get an upgrade for what would likely be a reasonable cost would equate to being loyal to a fault.

He's not an upgrade nor a solid upgrade. He's a physically bigger human being, not a better goalie.

He simply just played a season behind the most defensive minded coach and team.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Good thing for the CBJ (and Korpisalo fans) this isn't fantasy hockey. Give me the extra games played and the wins in 15/16 for Korpisalo over Lehner and his .04 and .13.

Also worth noting that Lehner is nearly 28 years old and played 265 games, while Korpisalo is 25 and has played 90. Its pretty safe to say who has more growth and probable potential ahead of them.

He's not an upgrade nor a solid upgrade. He's a physically bigger human being, not a better goalie.

If you feel comfortable rolling with Korpi as the starter then more power to you as I sure as hell don't.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
1. As usual, I believe Dubois is being undersold here. His "vision" and creativity along with his actual passing is well above average. I believe both Atkinson AND Panarin have benefitted from playing with Dubois.

2. The line (while still being able to pull off some "pretty" plays) would clearly be more of a puck control and cycle type line. Each guy (along with Jenner/Foligno) is WELL above average when it comes to this and this would lead to open space in the slot for a guy to get open and shoot, room to drive to the net, or an open defenseman to get a shot from the point with these guys crashing the net. Any line of any 3 of the 5, would be an absolute handful.

3. Where does our top 5 overall and (imo) puck moving/playmaking/offensive defense fit into these guys having, or not having, a "set up man"? 4-5 guys on the ice, not 3.

4. Fine, split them up and give each line 1 of Atkinson and Bjorkstrand.

4. - So is the idea that little guys are set up men? Atkinson is not a playmaker. Bjorkstrand might have it in him but he's been mostly a shooter here too.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Would be nice to know if Jarmo and co. were hosting any notable FA’s this week. I know Jarmo operates in the dark but damn it feels like July 1 is going to end up with us empty handed.

You know.....the more I think about this, I'm okay if the CBJ stay quiet on Monday July 1st.
Well..let me re-phrase. I would love to see the Jackets resign Panarin. Heck....give him $12 * 8 for all I care. I think the guy is that good. Then sign Duchane. If they have to give him $10 * 8 that's okay by me.

But if that cannot be accomplished, those are the only big risks I am willing to see my favorite team make. I know those are crazy numbers, but those are the only two guys I'm willing to crazy on. After that, the market is going to force GM's into giving too much term. Not so much too much $$....but too much term. The only real values which occur in UFA season is 4 days or more after the opening. Once the music begins to stop and people are looking for open chairs, that is when GM's can get a player and avoid making terrible mistakes on $$, or term or "NTC/NMC".

If Jarmo sits tight and keeps his cap space, I'm just fine with that.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
We're in for a long day on July 1st.
We will have a lot of guys leave. We will see a lot of other guys get signed.

I'm assuming around July 3rd we'll pick up a marginal UFA (either older guy, injured guy, or just a depth dman). I'm assuming right at or before 7/1 we will swing a trade (others have said it but trading Savard or Murray likely for a marginal 2nd line LW who is somewhat overpaid).

2019-20 Jackets will have to commit to Torts hockey (it won't be pretty). If the team doesn't respond I would guess Torts goes away. If they do play well hat can be fighting for a Wild Card spot and then think about adding at the deadline.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
4. - So is the idea that little guys are set up men? Atkinson is not a playmaker. Bjorkstrand might have it in him but he's been mostly a shooter here too.

"Little guys"........"set up men"......"playmaker"....."shooter".....

(Ignoring the semantics debate)

You're forcing each guy into a very simplistic box as if they can only have 1 quality. And again, I know you say you don't play EA sports games, but "chemistry" doesn't always work that you need or don't need ANY CERTAIN makeup of supposed player styles to work or mesh well. Also, I guess somebody could (or will) say this is "proof" we need more "set up men" (whatever that really means) but Atkinson and Bjorkstrand (along with Dubois) are probably our best and most dangerous "set up men". Much better and much more effective than "the playmaker" Wennberg.

If you just want to say, "we need playmakers, Zuccarello is a playmaker", just go ahead and say it....

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If you feel comfortable rolling with Korpi as the starter then more power to you as I sure as hell don't.

I am MUCH MORE comfortable with our goalie situation NOW than I was at this time last year. God forbid what was going on leading up to training camp and during the preseason and start of the year.

It will be nice finally having a goalie AND TEAM playing for EACH OTHER.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I am MUCH MORE comfortable with our goalie situation NOW than I was at this time last year. God forbid what was going on leading up to training camp and during the preseason and start of the year.

It will take more than esprit de corps to overcome the three goals or more per night that Korpi typically lets in. But I'm wasting my time telling you that.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If Jarmo is going to "keep" his cap space, how about if they let the season tickets holders in on the break and cut season tickets by 10%? They have money. I expect them to spend it to make the team better, not put it into a savings account. And I am not worried about how some UFA will be playing in five years. The two biggest albatross contract we have were extensions to current player, Wennberg and Dubinsky. Ther eare lots of ways to waste money besides UFA's. For example, you can pay a guy $2.5 million per goal scored.

Reactions: CPTN71

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

He was better in Buffalo behind a worse team, has nothing to do with the team he played behind. He's been a better goalie his entire life and will be until he retires.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Contract negotiations are a part of pro sports. Most teams and players know it's a business and understand it.

Plus throw in more than just Bob's agent has had issues with the way the CBJ negotiates with it's own players. I guess the exception is the FO seems to like to overpay for meddling 3rd line forwards that we can lock up for several years. It's the talented guys that they like to play hardball with. Interesting strategy, but at least they do it fairly consistently.

You can have the current goalie situation. Maybe it works out. Guess we will see. Your opinion seems to be in line with Jarmo in that he doesn't care about talent, but rather guys who love Columbus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad