Speculation: 2019 offseason thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hopefully Bread picks Florida..no way do I want him on the Rangers...I don't see him subjecting himself to Trotz who is an anagram (almost) of Torts...

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm fine with Zucc. It'll probably not end well eventually, but it would definitely fill an immediate need.

I'm much more worried about the center of the ice. If we fall into the Wennberg as 2 trap again, we may as well pack it in.

COME ON PEOPLE.

BOONE JENNER HAS BEEN THE 2ND LINE CENTER ON A PLAYOFF TEAM FOR 3 YEARS.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
COME ON PEOPLE.

BOONE JENNER HAS BEEN THE 2ND LINE CENTER ON A PLAYOFF TEAM FOR 3 YEARS.

I agree with your point. We've got at minimum one good middle six C in Jenner. I don't think he's been at center for that long though.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I agree with your point. We've got at minimum one good middle six C in Jenner. I don't think he's been at center for that long though.

Ok, you're right, I went back and looked and the TOI and FO numbers from the last few years. I believe I got my -Dubi as 2-3C- and my -Jenner as 2C- arguments mixed up.

17/18 is when the coaches realized to go to him with FO's. Both the past 2 years (lower amount of FO's in 17/18-high amount last year) he's up near Dubinsky and 55%, where Dubois (who does still take lots of (tough) draws and is 20) Foligno and Wennberg are around 45%. What's not to be argued is Jenner was the 2C LAST year and his faceoffs have been "significantly" increasing since during the 17/18 season, while Wennberg and Dubinsky (and Foligno) have been taking much less. He led the team last year in draws (100 more than Dubois/400+ more than Wennberg) while still hitting 54%.

My point is, the way things (both the coaches decision to play him and his and the TEAMS results) are trending it seem like all the whining about the team needing another "top center" is not based on fact. Some people will give me the "he's better at wing" (maybe, maybe not anymore) or say he cant skate well enough to play center, and I completely disagree. Actions and results during the games speak louder than pre draft scouting reports and how good guys look crossing over during warmups.

And as long as this talk continues, TRUE 1C PIERRE-LUC DUBOIS continues to be disrespected. The best 18-19-20 year old player the team has ever had. SAD. We have NO ISSUES at center ice.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And to PILE ON. Everybody wants flash and/or whatever.... I thought the dude would re-sign by now. Got CBJ written all over him, imo.

Captain material, hard worker/two way guy, NCAA and midwest roots (born MN/college IN), scoring left winger. Fits the team identity, fills a role, and I believe would mesh well with individual players and the team as a whole.

Yes, Anders Lee. I don't want to hear, "he's more of what we got", because he's NOT more of what we got. And the dude scores goals/puts up points. While he does bring aspects that we already have in guys (Anderson, Dubois, Jenner, Foligno) he actually seems to bring some of what those guys do, all together in 1 package. The dude is a big strong guy that's hard to be moved from the front, and while his shot/release isn't the prettiest, his scoring touch around the net is real and can not be argued. Having a dangerous/hard to move guy in this spot RIGHT IN FRONT, is something we been missing since Hartnell. All 4 of these mentioned big body forwards can play that role but are not great at it or fit better doing something a bit different.

Since this post is meant to hype up Lee, I will not necessarily compare him to Dubois, but will say I believe they could fit really well together (along with Atkinson/Bjorkstrand for speed/skill or with Foligno/Anderson to go full heavy) and be a nice BIG and SKILLED 1-2 punch around the net and down low.

I know people love to pencil in Anderson as a 30-35 goal scoring power forward, and he is a better (straight line) skater than Lee and brings more intensity, BUT Lee is quite a bit more "polished" offensively and has a much better actual "scoring touch", mainly around the net and "vision". You could argue Lee is what we hope Anderson could turn into. With that said, like with Dubois, I would LOVE to see these guys on a line. Think about a line of, Lee-Dubois-Anderson.

I think the same fit is there with both Jenner and Foligno, if not both guys at the same time, as I believe a Lee-Jenner-Foligno line could be just as dangerous/effective and a headache to other teams, as much as a Lee-PLD-Andy line.

To REALLY pile on, he seems like a Torts kinda player. :phew:

:teach2:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
However, reading that over, and after watching some of his (offensive) "highlights" and trying to think of a comparable to how he looks/plays, and after seeing this...…..I just hope if they are interested in him, they do a couple extra MRI's and get that insurance, just in case.

Would Lee and Zuccarello be enough for folks around here?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And to PILE ON. Everybody wants flash and/or whatever.... I thought the dude would re-sign by now. Got CBJ written all over him, imo.

Captain material, hard worker/two way guy, NCAA and midwest roots (born MN/college IN), scoring left winger. Fits the team identity, fills a role, and I believe would mesh well with individual players and the team as a whole.

Yes, Anders Lee. I don't want to hear, "he's more of what we got", because he's NOT more of what we got. And the dude scores goals/puts up points. While he does bring aspects that we already have in guys (Anderson, Dubois, Jenner, Foligno) he actually seems to bring some of what those guys do, all together in 1 package. The dude is a big strong guy that's hard to be moved from the front, and while his shot/release isn't the prettiest, his scoring touch around the net is real and can not be argued. Having a dangerous/hard to move guy in this spot RIGHT IN FRONT, is something we been missing since Hartnell. All 4 of these mentioned big body forwards can play that role but are not great at it or fit better doing something a bit different.

Since this post is meant to hype up Lee, I will not necessarily compare him to Dubois, but will say I believe they could fit really well together (along with Atkinson/Bjorkstrand for speed/skill or with Foligno/Anderson to go full heavy) and be a nice BIG and SKILLED 1-2 punch around the net and down low.

I know people love to pencil in Anderson as a 30-35 goal scoring power forward, and he is a better (straight line) skater than Lee and brings more intensity, BUT Lee is quite a bit more "polished" offensively and has a much better actual "scoring touch", mainly around the net and "vision". You could argue Lee is what we hope Anderson could turn into. With that said, like with Dubois, I would LOVE to see these guys on a line. Think about a line of, Lee-Dubois-Anderson.

I think the same fit is there with both Jenner and Foligno, if not both guys at the same time, as I believe a Lee-Jenner-Foligno line could be just as dangerous/effective and a headache to other teams, as much as a Lee-PLD-Andy line.

To REALLY pile on, he seems like a Torts kinda player. :phew:

:teach2:

The three shooters line. I think those guys would appreciate a set up man in the mix.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This is were I am at:

Lock up all our core young guys to 8 year deals.

Sign Murray for 3 years.

Don’t make any long free agent signings.

Trade a D for LW if we can. Probably Savard because he’ll go the free agent route and make more than we’ll want to pay him in a couple of years. But lots of teams are trying to move D right now, so if we don’t get a great offer, keep him.

Maybe sign a LW like Marcus Johansson.

Don’t buy out anyone.

See what we have with the current team. I am as down on Milano as anyone, but he finished the season strong in Cleveland last year. Robinson looked like he could play the game — maybe he’ll figure out how to score. Tex, Bemstrom, Foudy - maybe 1 of the 3 steps up.

Let the young goalies battle to see if someone can claim the job.

If we are out of the playoffs, maybe sell off a D for picks.

I don’t want to blow the team up or rebuild, but maybe we need to reset, let the guys we have play, and see if what we have left looks promising or not. Maybe a goalie steps up, maybe not. Maybe someone can grab a top line LW spot. But I don’t want to lock us into contracts that will look bad in 3 or 4 years and horrible in 6. Sometimes not doing much and waiting patiently for a year is the right thing to do.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Or we could do something crazy like trade Murray to the Sens for some draft picks/prospects (including our 2nd and 3rd 2020 picks) and then offer sheet Aho — maybe he’d sign 5 years at $10 million and we’d give up 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Reactions: Fro

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is were I am at:

Lock up all our core young guys to 8 year deals.

Sign Murray for 3 years.

Don’t make any long free agent signings.

Trade a D for LW if we can. Probably Savard because he’ll go the free agent route and make more than we’ll want to pay him in a couple of years. But lots of teams are trying to move D right now, so if we don’t get a great offer, keep him.

Maybe sign a LW like Marcus Johansson.

Don’t buy out anyone.

See what we have with the current team. I am as down on Milano as anyone, but he finished the season strong in Cleveland last year. Robinson looked like he could play the game — maybe he’ll figure out how to score. Tex, Bemstrom, Foudy - maybe 1 of the 3 steps up.

Let the young goalies battle to see if someone can claim the job.

If we are out of the playoffs, maybe sell off a D for picks.

I don’t want to blow the team up or rebuild, but maybe we need to reset, let the guys we have play, and see if what we have left looks promising or not. Maybe a goalie steps up, maybe not. Maybe someone can grab a top line LW spot. But I don’t want to lock us into contracts that will look bad in 3 or 4 years and horrible in 6. Sometimes not doing much and waiting patiently for a year is the right thing to do.

1) I think Jarmo would have signed any/all of the big three to deals that he probably offered them, if they'd have accepted. I don't know if he figured one way or the other, but I think he would have.

2) I think Jarmo will make a trade this offseason.

3) Those things said, I also think it's entirely possible the plan you outline above was Jarmo's thinking, and the organization's plan, at least from the time it started to become evident Panarin and Bob were probably not sticking around past this/last year. So they went for it at the deadline, and are comfortable with the young pieces in place in the org, and are gonna let things play out.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
1) I think Jarm,o would have signed any/all of the big three to deals that he probably offered them, if they'd have accepted. I don't know if he figured one way or the other, but I think he would have.

2) I think Jarmo will make a trade this offseason.

3) But I also think it's entirely possible the plan you outline above was Jarmo's thinking, and the organization's plan, at least from the time it started to become evident Panarin and Bob were probably not sticking around past this year. Do they went for it at the deadline, and are comfortable with the young pieces in place in the org, and are gonna let things play out.

I agree.
Just because you try to lock up the core doesn't mean they will accept it. Free agency to someone like Seth Jones could be exciting.
Agree 100% on trade. It's the only way we get talent besides the draft and do have cap room, which is valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad