Speculation: 2019 offseason thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think I'm going to cry with some of these options.

Please explain.

I really don't want Korpisalo to get the Mason treatment, i.e. staying on the team longer than glaringly necessary, if there are upgrades available and the money makes sense, you pull the trigger and move on.

Korpisalo has had nowhere near the opportunity nor subsequent failure that Mason had over multiple years. This year IS the test. At least let him take the test. People here clearly dont understand goaltending.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
"It is what is it."

Means SO MUCH MORE than some of you could realize.

Enjoy Bob's time in F-L-A.
Just out of curiosity but did you just watch Bob's post game interviews or the entire teams. I rarely watched any of the post game interviews but still managed to hear over half the team use that line at some point or another this season.

Reactions: majormajor

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
We seem to have a lot of fans who are willing to take on good players at below market prices. What is the point of even talking about that???? It does not happen that way & it certainly does not happen that way with this franchise.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
We seem to have a lot of fans who are willing to take on good players at below market prices. What is the point of even talking about that???? It does not happen that way & it certainly does not happen that way with this franchise.

It doesn't happen in FA. I don't want us to overpay for an average guy. Panarin, Marner, Tavares types yes indeed. At this point that's a luxury and a finishing touch when your kids have developed and your challenging for the whole shebang. Then, you may get a guy who seriously wants to win to come to a smaller market.

The Land 216

Mar 16, 2019
Anyone think I found Panarin is really wanting the money he asking for it may have him coming back to Columbus?? With Florida I hunk wanting Bob the most U can’t pay both of them now when they have so many roster spots to fill. Columbus obviously would be willing to pay more then the rangers and islanders I would think. Idk just curious what other opinions are

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A lots been covered on FAs over the last half dozen pages. Rather than fill the page pulling quotes, let me just randomly tackle various points. And I'll try to be brief just to spare everyone's eyes.

Zuccarello - Likely term and dollars don't excite me.

Pavelski - performance still looks good, but talk about signing someone on the back end of their career.....

A. Lee - 5 at $7M would be good value, which is why it'll take 6 or 7 yrs; but that term doesn't scare me unless it has a NTC or NMC.

Kadri - yes, if he's even available he'd require giving up a lower cost DMan but at $4.5M for the next 3 years playing center, he's the best value on the board.

Duchene, Bob, Bread - reluctantly bye bye to all; oh yes Dzingel....his game looks too much like Duclair's (albeit more refined) to pay what he will get.

Leafs, Golden Knights - two teams maybe ripe for trades

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Just out of curiosity but did you just watch Bob's post game interviews or the entire teams. I rarely watched any of the post game interviews but still managed to hear over half the team use that line at some point or another this season.

I don't watch/listen to ANY of the players interviews, it was a video or quote posted on twitter then possibly on here. Or in a news article, something, I don't remember. I don't just go out of my way to listen to interviews.

The reason I like to highlight this quote was because of who said it. It was not Bobrovsky, it was JONES who said it in response to a question about Bobrovsky. That's a big deal. A problem. Not the attitude you want your goalie to have OR the attitude you want your teams top defenseman to have in relation to the goalie.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A lots been covered on FAs over the last half dozen pages. Rather than fill the page pulling quotes, let me just randomly tackle various points. And I'll try to be brief just to spare everyone's eyes.

Zuccarello - Likely term and dollars don't excite me.

Pavelski - performance still looks good, but talk about signing someone on the back end of their career.....

A. Lee - 5 at $7M would be good value, which is why it'll take 6 or 7 yrs; but that term doesn't scare me unless it has a NTC or NMC.

Kadri - yes, if he's even available he'd require giving up a lower cost DMan but at $4.5M for the next 3 years playing center, he's the best value on the board.

Duchene, Bob, Bread - reluctantly bye bye to all; oh yes Dzingel....his game looks too much like Duclair's (albeit more refined) to pay what he will get.

Leafs, Golden Knights - two teams maybe ripe for trades

I'd do Lee at $7m x 5, but that's where I'd draw the line. I wouldn't go above 5 years. I'd prefer Zuccarello at $7m x 3, actually, mostly because you don't want either player after a few years. That and someone needs to do some passing.

Kadri is an obvious target in exchange for one of our second pair D. If I'm the Leafs though I wouldn't do that because it's still not enough cap relief and it weakens them at 3C too much. I would move Nylander instead and look for a bigger return, a top four RHD +. Something like Pesce or Savard++. I'm thinking that's what Dubas is working on. A Kadri move would have been more straightforward and might have been done by now.

I'd go on about Gusev but I'm still having a hard time believing, despite the reports, that Vegas would move him.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'd go on about Gusev but I'm still having a hard time believing, despite the reports, that Vegas would move him.

Vegas is currently at 76,650,000 if you take away Clarkson's LTIR contract for only 18 signed players right now according to CapFriendly. (12 F, 5 D, and 1 G) They are going to have to move a forward of some kind to get a full roster and Vegas seems to give NTC and NMC contracts out like candy. And that is without a signed Gusev under contract. The Colin Miller trade today gets them closer but they are still slightly over.

That being said, I'm sure Gusev isn't the slightest bit interested in being traded since he signed with Vegas for a reason and never got to play there. For all we know he could just pack his bags and go back to Russia.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Vegas is currently at 76,650,000 if you take away Clarkson's LTIR contract for only 18 signed players right now according to CapFriendly. (12 F, 5 D, and 1 G) They are going to have to move a forward of some kind to get a full roster and Vegas seems to give NTC and NMC contracts out like candy. And that is without a signed Gusev under contract. The Colin Miller trade today gets them closer but they are still slightly over.

That being said, I'm sure Gusev isn't the slightest bit interested in being traded since he signed with Vegas for a reason and never got to play there. For all we know he could just pack his bags and go back to Russia.

I don't know if Gusev has any attachment to Vegas. They traded for his rights years ago and he isn't allowed to sign anywhere else without his rights being traded.

He might also not know anything about differing cities. I've been continually surprised by how little so many of these athletes know about the different cities and what it's like to be in them. I feel like my friends and I are always exchanging stories from travels about different cities. And then you listen to Artemi talk about Pittsburgh being "environmentally dirty", or Nash talking about how he once thought New York was just Manhattan. And those are the guys that have travelled to every NHL city multiple times. Gusev has barely spent time in North America.

I'm fairly confident that Gusev came over to get paid. And he'll play anywhere on a short term deal. But in a year or two it might be tricky to get him to re-sign long term, it could be Panarin 2.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Eric Duhatscheck in the Athletic wrote an interesting article. His thesis is the Jackets are one of a few teams in good shape because they didn’t box themselves in salary wise, and in doing so, this summer offers a unique opportunity to add quality players at a discounted rate.

He believes that in August, as the price goes down, many players will be looking to sign at deals favorable to the teams. He believes that if Jarmo and others wait, there will be a glut of good players chasing limited dollars. Patience is the key. If I read his article correctly, the Jackets could do just fine in filling in the holes of their lineup, at reasonable prices. Makes sense as Jarmo keeps saying that whatever the Jackets do has to make sense short term and long term

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Eric Duhatscheck in the Athletic wrote an interesting article. His thesis is the Jackets are one of a few teams in good shape because they didn’t box themselves in salary wise, and in doing so, this summer offers a unique opportunity to add quality players at a discounted rate.

He believes that in August, as the price goes down, many players will be looking to sign at deals favorable to the teams. He believes that if Jarmo and others wait, there will be a glut of good players chasing limited dollars. Patience is the key. r lineup, at reasonable prices.
I like this philosophy but I'm afraid members on this board will have an aneurysm if we don't make splashy moves the first week of July. There is a New York sports reporter named Mike Lupica and he coined the phrase about free agency, "you don't have to be the best player, all you have to be is the best player available" and you'll draw a healthy contract which every team ultimately regrets after couple of years.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Player I'm wondering about who surprised me to see as an FA: Derick Brassard. Was his bad 2018-19 reason for teams to sour on him? Will someone give him a ton of term/money to be *shrug*? Could he be an answer, maybe on a 3-year deal? He's obviously not a top line forward, but I can't say I don't think he'd be a better 2C option than Wennberg.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wennberg was bad last year. Brassard and Burakovsky might have been worse. Brassard was bad for three different teams. A one year prove it deal is all that he's worth right now. Burakovsky is a lot like Wennberg, he can never seem to get out of his own head. He has potential, I get why Colorado paid a 2nd and 3rd for him, but that kind of long run potential / short run headache is not worth two good picks to the Jackets right now. They aren't short on headaches.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012

He believes that in August, as the price goes down, many players will be looking to sign at deals favorable to the teams. He believes that if Jarmo and others wait, there will be a glut of good players chasing limited dollars. Patience is the key. If I read his article correctly, the Jackets could do just fine in filling in the holes of their lineup, at reasonable prices. Makes sense as Jarmo keeps saying that whatever the Jackets do has to make sense short term and long term

While adding 35-40 point per year players for the price of a 25 point per year player is a bargain, it doesn't replace the shifts of the point per game guys you lost. You can't use these guys to upgrade your bottom 6 enough to make up for the deficit for your top 6 and power play units. Ultimately you are scoring less goals which is going to be a huge problem unless your goalie is just a monster.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
While adding 35-40 point per year players for the price of a 25 point per year player is a bargain, it doesn't replace the shifts of the point per game guys you lost. You can't use these guys to upgrade your bottom 6 enough to make up for the deficit for your top 6 and power play units. Ultimately you are scoring less goals which is going to be a huge problem unless your goalie is just a monster.
We won games the past number of years because our goalie WAS a monster

Reactions: Halfboard

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
It’s just about over isn’t it? Don’t we lose the 8th year after tomorrow?

They are all gone. I thought for sure we would get Duchene.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I question this theory that it is better to be patient and pick up leftovers at bargain prices in August. The author of the article does not give any specific examples for the type of players he is talking about. The Zuczrello's and the Ander Lee's of the world are not going to be sitting around in August begging for contracts. To me it will be more like the Derrick Brassard's of the world that will be begging for contracts in August. So if you want to fill your team with 3rd-4th liners, yeah you probably can do well in August. But if you want to build a team that can compete for a playoff spot and then actually win a round, I do not think August dumpster diving is a vialable strategy.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I question this theory that it is better to be patient and pick up leftovers at bargain prices in August. The author of the article does not give any specific examples for the type of players he is talking about. The Zuczrello's and the Ander Lee's of the world are not going to be sitting around in August begging for contracts. To me it will be more like the Derrick Brassard's of the world that will be begging for contracts in August. So if you want to fill your team with 3rd-4th liners, yeah you probably can do well in August. But if you want to build a team that can compete for a playoff spot and then actually win a round, I do not think August dumpster diving is a vialable strategy.

How many teams have improved from signing the big name free agents? I would guess most teams have improved though the draft and making trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad