Speculation: 2019 offseason thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Those guys are the kind Jackets should sign but don't seem to and heaven help us here on the boards if any of these 3 were suggested acquisitions.

I was suggesting Perron and I don't remember anyone either objecting to or praising the idea. It looks like the Blues got discounts on all three.

With the Jackets newfound cap space they could land similar players this summer, if not better ones. As long as the term is kept low, I think some overpays might be worth it. Three year deals, of course, so that they would expire when it comes time to re-up Jones.

I'd offer three year deals like this:
Hayes - $8m
Zuccarello - $8m
Nyquist - $7m
Lee - $7m
Johansson - $5.5m
Dzingel - $4.5m
Donskoi - $3.5m
Tanev - $3.5m
Maroon - $2.75m

Hayes and Lee are going to get great long term offers elsewhere, so I'm not expecting them to sign these offers.

Zuccarello is at an age where a three year deal makes sense, and he's exactly the kind of sparkplug-playmaker that we need on the top line.

Johansson is a great transition player that can carry the puck into the offensive end, we need that with Panarin (maybe the league's best transition player) leaving.

The others I don't see as being as valuable to the Jackets, just okay fill-ins.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why not Eberle, Connolly, Ferland?

Or even Colin Wilson?

I see them as guys who'll obviously get bigger offers elsewhere. But I'll play the 3 year deal game with them since you asked:

Eberle - $4m
Connolly - $4m
Ferland - $5m
Wilson - $1.25m

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been a fan of Zucc since he entered the league but an 8 million dollar player he is not

I think I might be a bigger fan. I think he's just as good as Duchene or Skinner, if not better. And he won't need an 8 year deal.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I am a fan of picking up Zuccarello. I was in favor of trading for him instead of Dzingel and was disappointed we picked Dzingel. I would welcome his pickup.

I wouldn't really love the idea of picking up Eberle. More goal scoring is always nice, but someone here mentioned how the team has more goal scorers than playmakers, and I agree with that. I'd rather pick up people to dish the puck.

Hayes I'd welcome to our team. I think he'd fit in like a glove.

I'd steer clear of Anders Lee with the amount of money he will get on the open market. I also steer away from Dzingel, because he wasn't a fit. I don't think he'd be too keen on staying anyway.

Nyquist would be alright, I guess.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I think at the end of the day, Zucc is the top line player we ghouls target. Lee, Nyquist, and Hayes all feel more like second line players.

I wonder if Eberle could excel here with Torts. He did not have his best year in a defense first Trotz team.

Ferland is going to get too much money and would be another Andy/Boone/Folgino.

I go for Zucc. Best Panarin replacement on the market.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I was suggesting Perron and I don't remember anyone either objecting to or praising the idea. It looks like the Blues got discounts on all three.

With the Jackets newfound cap space they could land similar players this summer, if not better ones. As long as the term is kept low, I think some overpays might be worth it. Three year deals, of course, so that they would expire when it comes time to re-up Jones.

I'd offer three year deals like this:
Hayes - $8m
Zuccarello - $8m
Nyquist - $7m
Lee - $7m
Johansson - $5.5m
Dzingel - $4.5m
Donskoi - $3.5m
Tanev - $3.5m
Maroon - $2.75m

Hayes and Lee are going to get great long term offers elsewhere, so I'm not expecting them to sign these offers.

Zuccarello is at an age where a three year deal makes sense, and he's exactly the kind of sparkplug-playmaker that we need on the top line.

Johansson is a great transition player that can carry the puck into the offensive end, we need that with Panarin (maybe the league's best transition player) leaving.

The others I don't see as being as valuable to the Jackets, just okay fill-ins.
The top tree - maybe four - on your list is a neon billboard as to what I hate about too deep a dive into FA.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Assuming Duchene is gone, I’d be willing to take the last two years of Corey Perry’s contract for the right trade. Rickard Rakell would have to be involved. And a draft pick. Maybe we send them Milano. Of course Perry would have to waive the no trade.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Let's look for 3 really nice gentlemen, who love to golf, have kids in school, and love Central Ohio! If they are NHL players is a plus!

Seriously assuming Duchene is gone I think we will sign some older players to short term deals and hope the kids develop. I can't see us overpaying if we won't pay for Duchene (Jarmos quote about also losing a first for him surprised me, but perhaps Jarmo knows he's gone and that's his excuse).
If the kids develop (including goalies) and keeps us in the race then we could think about adding at the deadline.

Reactions: thebus88

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I've been a fan of Zucc since he entered the league but an 8 million dollar player he is not
I'm curious as to what Zuccarello is asking from Dallas..

Assuming Duchene is gone, I’d be willing to take the last two years of Corey Perry’s contract for the right trade. Rickard Rakell would have to be involved. And a draft pick. Maybe we send them Milano. Of course Perry would have to waive the no trade.

While I'd love to have him, I don't see the Ducks moving Rakell just to get out from under Perry's mammoth 2 years remaining. He just turned 26, is probably their best scorer (though he took a step back last year) and signed for a very team friendly rate with 3 years remaining on his deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The instant you mention Rakell is the instant negotiations end. They won't trade him for blood or money.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Anaheim has problems. They have bad contracts, and they can’t buy out Perry because they will have other bad contracts in the future (Silferberg and Henrique will be bad contracts in 4 years). Their bad contracts have no move or modified no move clauses. They are going to have to pay for someone to come in and help them out. I’d go after Rakell. He is a great value contract, but unfortunately for the Ducks, they have his great value contract after their window has closed. By the time Anaheim is rebuilt, he will need a new contract or be gone. They have 2 first round picks, but I think they should keep their picks and trade an established player.

Personally I think they should stand pat for a couple of years and let Perry and Getzlaf come off the books, but it sounds like that is not the direction they want to go.

Maybe we need to add more prospects or take Patrick Eaves’ contract back, too. But I’d make the call and focus on Rakell.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’d go after Rakell. He is a great value contract, but unfortunately for the Ducks, they have his great value contract after their window has closed. By the time Anaheim is rebuilt, he will need a new contract or be gone. They have 2 first round picks, but I think they should keep their picks and trade an established player.

Personally I think they should stand pat for a couple of years and let Perry and Getzlaf come off the books, but it sounds like that is not the direction they want to go.

They're sounding out trades for Perry, it doesn't mean they're committed to dumping him at all costs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm curious as to what Zuccarello is asking from Dallas..

Maybe like $7m per. It's a no tax state so we wouldn't be getting him for the same that Dallas would.

At the same time, Dallas has to give up a 1st rounder to the Rangers if they sign Zuccarello, so it doesn't really make sense for them to sign him unless he gives them a real discount. They could just keep the 1st and spend their money on Nyquist or some other player. So Dallas might be holding to something much lower for Zucc.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Zuccarello will be 32 by the time the season starts, that’s a hard pass for a guy who has seen his point production drop the last 3 seasons.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Zuccarello will be 32 by the time the season starts, that’s a hard pass for a guy who has seen his point production drop the last 3 seasons.

uh.... come again?

Zuccarrello's last 3 seasons, point production wise:

2016-2017 season: 0.66 PPG
2017-2018 season: 0.80 PPG
2018-2019 season (including playoffs): 0.93 PPG.

lol, you couldn't be more wrong my friend.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I know major will tell me side doesn't make a difference but can Zucc play LW? If so I'm all in assuming he will sign for 3 years. 7mm seems a bit high but the Jackets have the cap room. If he can't play LW then I pass unless Torts has some plans to move one of the 42 RW's to that side.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I wonder what Zucc thinks of playing for Torts. He had him in New York previously.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I wonder what Zucc thinks of playing for Torts. He had him in New York previously.

Torsts pushed Zucc out of the NHL since he didnt believe in him due to his size. He was brough back by Glent Sather.

Based on that I don't think Zucc wants much to do with Torts, but who knows, maybe he's had a change of heart since then,its been many years

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know major will tell me side doesn't make a difference but can Zucc play LW? If so I'm all in assuming he will sign for 3 years. 7mm seems a bit high but the Jackets have the cap room. If he can't play LW then I pass unless Torts has some plans to move one of the 42 RW's to that side.

I think I've seen him lined up at both wings but I can't remember. In any case he's a left-shot so it should be easy for him to play left wing. It's going the other way that some guys can't do.

Is 7m x 3 that high? You said you'd go as high as $8.5m x 8 on Duchene, which to me is a bigger stretch. I think Zucc at $8m is just as well as Duchene at $9m, but is much easier to stomach since he won't need the super-long term deal. Of course if you think Zucc is a lesser player then this won't make sense, but to me he's in the same value category as Duchene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad