Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Wennberg playing for CBJ tonight if you want to get eyes on him. He’s been scratched all playoffs up until now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Such love for Crouse. We need to give up equal value for scorers. We have a penchant for undervaluing other players and overvaluing our own. Crouse's absence wouldn't be the difference between making the playoffs and sitting out again. A big time scoring forward would make that difference. I have no problem packaging Crouse with our #1 for a big time scoring forward.
Ok, that is fine, who are you targeting?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wonder if we’re at the very earliest stage of a league shift back toward size and toughness. Maybe just a little baby step back, at least.
Size has always mattered in the playoffs. You need that mix, and we don't have it yet. If Fischer would decide to use his size would go a long way, but he has to establish himself as a NHL player first.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Speaking of Crouse, I’d prefer to lock him in long term this summer. Not crazy money but I think he’ll be a much cheaper buy now than he will be in 2 or 3 years.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How much did a poor playoffs hurt Wayne Simmonds? I think his body is going to make him a terrible signing long term but I am curious to see if maybe the buyers won’t be there on July 1.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Was thinking the same. 2 years, 9 mil. But he can probably do better in FA.
1st yr - 7.5mil - NMC
2nd yr - 3.75m - No Clauses
Total - 11.25m
CapHit- 5.625

That would rule out any other major additions to the roster for next season, though. So this would be a last-ditch signing after we’ve struck out on a bunch of other stuff.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Wennberg playing for CBJ tonight if you want to get eyes on him. He’s been scratched all playoffs up until now.

FWIW I thought he looked pretty good last night, especially for his first game in about a month. Good defensively. He broke up some plays. Not much offensively but I thought he was okay there too, all things considered. I still wouldn't take him though unless he was heavily discounted. There is just too much risk there with term and the potential for no bounce back. We need to add a definite 50 goals to the lineup.

Reactions: _Del_ and lanky

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pointe, Malkin, Kessel, Nylander just off the top of my head.
Point won't be available, Malkin and Kessel while very good players are too old if Keller is going the other way. Nylander is a good player also, but would you be gaining much if anything if Keller, Crouse and Fischer are going the other way? I usually don't like going the UFA route, but maybe this year at our stage of development and lack of assets to trade, might be the best way to go. There are a few really good young players available, and what better way to keep the momentum going.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Thought he was pretty good for missing time. He's never going to be a goalscorer, he's a playmaker. Part of it is definitely on him, but I think it's his contract has raised expectations. Still a good and reliable C at the NHL level. Which we need. He'll only get ~15 goals, but he can pile up assists when he's not on the third line. Good on the PK. Has NHL size. Just needs opportunity again where he's not buried. We should be very interested.
Just depends on how much they'll retain, whether they'll take money back, and how much they want.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Point won't be available, Malkin and Kessel while very good players are too old if Keller is going the other way. Nylander is a good player also, but would you be gaining much if anything if Keller, Crouse and Fischer are going the other way? I usually don't like going the UFA route, but maybe this year at our stage of development and lack of assets to trade, might be the best way to go. There are a few really good young players available, and what better way to keep the momentum going.

The absolute dumbest thing this organization could do is dump Keller after a down year. You'd hope they leaned something in dumping Domi and Strome. They need to look internally in what they can do to bring the most out of their talent. If they have to move talent to make a deal to upgrade, they need to use a bigger, shorter contract like Galchenyuk or Goligoski (if they can work around the no trade clause) before cost controlled Keller. What little money there was available has to be used up by all the big contracts Chayka has traded for and injured players he extended. I can't see them moving some lower cost young players for another big contract.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Simmons disappointed greatly with 2 different teams this year. Not sure I'm going out of my way to pursue. He could be on the Lucic trajectory.
We'd be adding him for size and jam. And he honestly isn't playing with that extra jam. He probably doesn't crater as a player the way Lucic did, but he's clearly a lot less effective.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The absolute dumbest thing this organization could do is dump Keller after a down year. You'd hope they leaned something in dumping Domi and Strome. They need to look internally in what they can do to bring the most out of their talent. If they have to move talent to make a deal to upgrade, they need to use a bigger, shorter contract like Galchenyuk or Goligoski (if they can work around the no trade clause) before cost controlled Keller. What little money there was available has to be used up by all the big contracts Chayka has traded for and injured players he extended. I can't see them moving some lower cost young players for another big contract.
I agree. I was responding to Bonsai who the way it sounds has no problem in moving Keller, Fischer and Crouse.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I agree. I was responding to Bonsai who the way it sounds has no problem in moving Keller, Fischer and Crouse.
Not as a dump, but in an effort to get a true star forward. I truly believe that concentrated talent is worth more than distributed talent.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Curious on peoples thoughts on Trouba? If he would do a sign and trade to come to the Coyotes, what would you offer up? Or is there no interest?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
He’s averaged 6 goals per season the last three years. We need goals. We have no money. We can’t spend all our money on guys who don’t score goals.

42 assists in this last regular season. Sounds like the answer to the question about the life, the universe and everything. :sarcasm:.

Honestly, haven't followed him. But if you rack up assists that means you do something on the ice so the other guys on the ice can score. Normally.

So I think you are a bit short on this answer: of course we need goalscorers. But to find someone who make the other guys into goalscorers could also be a solution.

Mentioning again I don't know if this one is the answer. I generally think it's not the blueliners who needs to be replaced here. My suggestion was Zuccarello, for the forwards, a while ago. Someone else jumped on that one. :popcorn:.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Big fan of Trouba but right now adding goals is a way bigger priority. We were a top 5 defensive team. Some of that (Goligoski) will need to be sacrificed so we're no longer a bottom 5 offensive team. So minus some defense but plus some offense. I think that equation should work for us.

Reactions: Lilhoody

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
42 assists in this last regular season. Sounds like the answer to the question about the life, the universe and everything. :sarcasm:.

Honestly, haven't followed him. But if you rack up assists that means you do something on the ice so the other guys on the ice can score. Normally.

So I think you are a bit short on this answer: of course we need goalscorers. But to find someone who make the other guys into goalscorers could also be a solution.

Mentioning again I don't know if this one is the answer. I generally think it's not the blueliners who needs to be replaced here. My suggestion was Zuccarello, for the forwards, a while ago. Someone else jumped on that one. :popcorn:.
Trouba passes to guys who can score. We dont have those.

Would take Zuccarello. Let’s trade our 1st for Kreider. Then sign Zuccarello. And also Hayes!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Trouba passes to guys who can score. We dont have those.

Would take Zuccarello. Let’s trade our 1st for Kreider. Then sign Zuccarello. And also Hayes!
Why would we want to keep bringing in Rangers? What have they done that we want to replicate?

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Adding FA would be nice but isn't our salary already 73 mill? Will still be a couple of years of shedding IR contracts I believe. We have to focus on the team we have and hopefully stay healthy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad