Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Going after an aging star just doesn't make sense imo. That's a get mediocre move and won't build any kind of lasting fan base. We need more than one player better than the few good ones we have and we desperately need a young star to build around. My fear is with our genius GM is locking up so many "good" players, there won't be any money to make a move for a younger star in FA and we'll be budget locked to even make a trade for one unless some of these higher paid guys are going the other way. What's being built here, especially on offense doesn't look like anything close to a contender to me now or in the future. All those meaningless wins over the last decade that kept us from a good pick and the few talented young players we gave up on are going to make the next decade awfully tough if we can't get lucky and find a star that we can actually develop and keep very soon. Is there anybody on this roster you can get behind that has the talent and personality to lead this franchise to become a contender?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Malkin only has 4 years and is 32 currently. It's not terrible...

Just for the hell of it what would the cost be?
14OA
POJ
Stepan or Dvorak
Fischer or Garland's
2020 2nd

Keller-Malkin-Schmaltz
Gally-Stepan-Hino
Crouse-Hayton-Garland
Grabner-Richardson-Cousins

I think I'd probably do that pretty easily, which likely means Pitt woudn't.

Panthers fans want to move Trocheck+ for Malkin. Obviously that's no indication of what their GM would do, but if Trocheck is on the table, we have nothing to beat that.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Erik Karlsson

Heh, maybe. It would take our entire summer budget though.

I'm looking at SJ's cap. Assuming an 83M cap, they're going to have 24 mil to re-sign Thornton, Pavelski, Nyquist, Donskoi, E. Karlsson (UFAs) and Meier and Labanc (RFAs), plus some roster fillers.

I could see Donskoi being a Hinostroza type addition for us.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm not gonna say no to EK but how valuable is he when the best forwards he can pass the puck to are Keller and Stepan?

Maybe the Panthers do Trocheck+ for Malkin (isn't he good buddies with Panarin?) then sign Breadman and Bob, and then move Hoffman to dump his cap.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Malkin only has 4 years and is 32 currently. It's not terrible...

Just for the hell of it what would the cost be?
14OA
POJ
Stepan or Dvorak
Fischer or Garland's
2020 2nd

Keller-Malkin-Schmaltz
Gally-Stepan-Hino
Crouse-Hayton-Garland
Grabner-Richardson-Cousins
Malkin is great and all, but not for us. That's is why I go the UFA route this year. I would rather sign Duchene, than gut our team for Malkin.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I feel like this is missing a piece or two, but I'm curious if it could work. Maybe add an AZ prospect (Merkley?) to Toronto?

To Toronto
- Arizona's 2020 2nd
- SJ's 2020 4th

To San Jose
- Marleau (Toronto pays bonus, retains 20%, AZ retains another 50% of new total, so cap of 2.5M)

To Arizona
- Kapanen

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I feel like this is missing a piece or two, but I'm curious if it could work. Maybe add an AZ prospect (Merkley?) to Toronto?

To Toronto
- Arizona's 2020 2nd
- SJ's 2020 4th

To San Jose
- Marleau (Toronto pays bonus, retains 20%, AZ retains another 50% of new total, so cap of 2.5M)

To Arizona
- Kapanen
I think if the Leaf's are giving away Kapanen it would be for more than a single season of relief and it would be Zaitsev going with him.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Zaitsev has 5 years left. Way too much term. I don't think there is any precedent for cap dumps of that size.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Zaitsev has 5 years left. Way too much term. I don't think there is any precedent for cap dumps of that size.
He can play, he just isn't good enough for his Cap hit on a Cap limit team in a fishbowl. He was decent when paired with Muzzin in the playoffs. There have been many overpaid players with worse contracts traded than Zaitsev.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He can play, he just isn't good enough for his Cap hit on a Cap limit team in a fishbowl. He was decent when paired with Muzzin in the playoffs. There have been many overpaid players with worse contracts traded than Zaitsev.
I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.
I doubt you've seen him play, Let's be honest. I've said before and I'll say it again, I see no trade fit between the Coyote's and the Leaf's. The Leafs need a top end right D and cheap fast wingers. The Coyotes need primarily a top end center. Neither have an abundance of what the other needs.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think Hoffenmayer is getting re-drafted this year. Very good chance he’s going to be a UFA. I think we are vastly overrating his trade value.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What if Leafs retain some on Zaitsev and then we retain some more and send him to NYR along with some very, very good young assets for Kreider. We end up with Kapanen and Kreider.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I just don't think anyone wants Zaitsev. Maybe if he had a year or two left. But it's five.

I liked his playoffs. I thought he was one of Toronto's better D. But that was a two-week stint. Off the top of my head I can't recall any pure cap dump deals like this being moved (not including dead deals like Clarkson, Hossa, Bolland, etc.). Phaneuf got moved, but Toronto had to take back a whole pile of crap and a whole pile of money like Milan Michalek. Any other examples?

Reactions: _Del_

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Jeez, Malkin is not for us? He gives us 2 to 4 years of scoring, the likes of which we have never seen. He costs us a first and a couple of players, but gives us an instant credibility with which we can sign mid-tier free agents to make up for any holes created by the Malkin trade. He can get us into the playoffs, increase team revenues and maybe allow ownership to increase payroll.

Reactions: Grimes

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I just don't think anyone wants Zaitsev. Maybe if he had a year or two left. But it's five.

I liked his playoffs. I thought he was one of Toronto's better D. But that was a two-week stint. Off the top of my head I can't recall any pure cap dump deals like this being moved (not including dead deals like Clarkson, Hossa, Bolland, etc.). Phaneuf got moved, but Toronto had to take back a whole pile of crap and a whole pile of money like Milan Michalek. Any other examples?
Zaitsev isnt bad, he just can't play in a step up defence like Babcock refused to move away from despite his slow D not being able to play it. Play him with an offensive guy in 2nd or 3rd pairing and he will do just fine. Still not a fit for the Coyotes though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

What about TO retains 25% and we retain 25% and a third team accepts him as a net zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad