Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He’ll be 32 when the season starts. He’s coming off of a 7 goal season. He’d get the Patrick Maroon treatment if he was UFA.

I don't see it. Neal is a leader and just made a bunch of SCF appearances in a row. He scored at least 20 goals every single season and then had a bad year. Maroon has scored more than 14 goals once in 6 seasons. He brings physicality and size, but so does Neal.

Neal would be a very good "Plan B" in UFA for teams who get outbid on Eberle, Panarin, Lee, etc.

I'd take Neal, but not at full price simply because Calgary does not have any leverage in a negotiation. Their only response could be "we'll just keep him", which is fine. No loss to us. We then go somewhere else.

Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Neal also doesn’t have the physique to keep up his play style. He’s also got more than enough smoke swirling around his off-ice habits to suggest a real fire. I’m not saying he won’t bounce back. I’m saying he does fit the profile for a player that falls off a cliff quickly.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would like to trade out parts of our top 6 but leave the bottom 2 lines alone. They do their jobs very well. I'd be open to package Keller, Fischer and Crouse for a true first line right wing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keller and Crouse are totally off limits in my mind.

No interest in the NYR guys. They are more of the same. We need a difference maker.
Bingo!. It really boggles my mind how so many on this board want to trade our youth after waiting so many years for them to mature. You win a championship team through the draft with a trade here and there. It takes time and patience, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Two years back everyone wanted to trade the vets and play the kids even though most were not ready, and now, the kids are finding their way to the NHL and we are talking about trading them.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Bingo!. It really boggles my mind how so many on this board want to trade our youth after waiting so many years for them to mature. You win a championship team through the draft with a trade here and there. It takes time and patience, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Two years back everyone wanted to trade the vets and play the kids even though most were not ready, and now, the kids are finding their way to the NHL and we are talking about trading them.
Are you saying there is no deal out there that would see you ok with trading Keller and Crouse?? These aren't exactly pillars of greatness.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It is foolhardy to think that we can obtain something for nothing. If we want a high end talent, we need to give up talent in a 2 or 3 for 1 trade. No one is untradeable. There are a hundred players with stats equal to Crouse. Unless he is your brother in law you put him on the table. There are at least 75 players with stats equal to or better than Keller. Same deal for him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Keller had 65 points in 2017-18. Only 2 Coyotes players have topped that number in the last 13 seasons - Whitney once and Doan twice. Keller is very capable of being a first liner so I don't see the point in upgrading him.

Crouse is totally unique. He was second in the league in hits. There are so few players like Crouse in the league right now, and he might be the only one on the Coyotes who plays that way. It would take an absurd deal for me to move him.

Reactions: Jakey53

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Keller had 65 points in 2017-18. Only 2 Coyotes players have topped that number in the last 13 seasons - Whitney once and Doan twice. Keller is very capable of being a first liner so I don't see the point in upgrading him.

Crouse is totally unique. He was second in the league in hits. There are so few players like Crouse in the league right now, and he might be the only one on the Coyotes who plays that way. It would take an absurd deal for me to move him.

I agree. Also Crouse has a lot of untapped offensive potential. Wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 45 points next year

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
No way in hell we should give up Crouse. What you want this team to be defenseless and soft as bunny? Keller would be dumb too...he will be fine just need stronger guys around him. I guarantee if you filled a team with Crouses and Martinooks etc...you would make the playoffs every year. Might not win a cup but you would be in...just add a few strong offensive pieces and who knows.

Im interested in teams, real teams that win on pure will and determination. Plus they are a lot more fun to root for.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So many teams are desperate to make moves simply for cap space to resign their RfA’s. I think we are in a good position to upgrade at a spot or two.

We don’t really have anyone in our system outside of Hayton or Jenik who project to be impact forwards. I’m intrigued by Copibianco and Bahl but I’m not penciling either one in the lineup to start the season.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
So many teams are desperate to make moves simply for cap space to resign their RfA’s. I think we are in a good position to upgrade at a spot or two.

We don’t really have anyone in our system outside of Hayton or Jenik who project to be impact forwards. I’m intrigued by Copibianco and Bahl but I’m not penciling either one in the lineup to start the season.

Schnarr may be interesting. But agreed, almost why I would really like to get another 1st this year.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Sure I'm a homer.

All of the buttery-soft teams like ours - and the ones who couldn't take the playoff pace - are looking for Crouses now. Young, relatively fast, plays heavy, has some offensive upside.

If we lose what little grit we have we are going to get walked over.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Such love for Crouse. We need to give up equal value for scorers. We have a penchant for undervaluing other players and overvaluing our own. Crouse's absence wouldn't be the difference between making the playoffs and sitting out again. A big time scoring forward would make that difference. I have no problem packaging Crouse with our #1 for a big time scoring forward.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Such love for Crouse. We need to give up equal value for scorers. We have a penchant for undervaluing other players and overvaluing our own. Crouse's absence wouldn't be the difference between making the playoffs and sitting out again. A big time scoring forward would make that difference. I have no problem packaging Crouse with our #1 for a big time scoring forward.
A signed Braydon Point? Because if we aren’t talking about a true top line guy then I’m not sure he’s a name I’m floating too broadly.

I see Crouse has finally grown on some folks who panned the player his draft year and the trade to acquire him. He’s just scratching the surface still. Still plenty of upside left.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Way too much.

What is the worst possible combination of that for you (i.e., greatest value)?

To me it's Goligoski and the 1st. I like Goligoski but I wouldn't let him stand in the way of Kessel. I think he's replaceable with some combination of internal replacements and a cheap UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino