Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Couldn't help but think last night that GoT seasons 1-7 was like our regular season and season 8 was our postseason

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So apparently we botched Gusev more than I thought

Yea we "botched" it but I dont think its as bad as some are claiming. It appears that we just didnt give him a chance but I dont think that is what happened. We would have signed him to 2 way deal and we did that for everybody. Yes he may have played in the AHL for a bit but if he truly is that good he wouldnt have spent much time there. I think this was a case of him wanting a guaranteed to come to Tampa. We know SY didnt play those games.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yea we "botched" it but I dont think its as bad as some are claiming. It appears that we just didnt give him a chance but I dont think that is what happened. We would have signed him to 2 way deal and we did that for everybody. Yes he may have played in the AHL for a bit but if he truly is that good he wouldnt have spent much time there. I think this was a case of him wanting a guaranteed to come to Tampa. We know SY didnt play those games.
yes I do recall them saying they want him to start out in the AHL but kucherov did that also for like two months then he was called up

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't see what the big deal is about giving the best non NHL player in the world a worthwhile deal on an ELC. Bad translation or not, unless Gusev absolutely sucks ass this is gonna look bad on us. If he goes and lights it up it means we let him go for nothing because we couldn't test him out in the minors if we wanted to. If he sucks then good on us for sticking to it

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So basically what we all have been saying?
It ends up being redundant here, but outside of the Lightning fanbase, they haven't worked it out.

I like a 2-year bridge deal for Karlsson. Primarily to protect ourselves in the expansion draft, but signing everyone good to 6 and 7-year deals is unsustainable. We're also not getting him before his prime. The best years of the deal are probably the next few seasons anyway. If Karlsson wants to move on, or it's not working out with injuries and all that, he can still possibly try to sign with NYR then (and they'll more likely start to be good by that point).

Vasi, Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev, and Joseph are up as RFAs next season. The cycle doesn't end. Two years for Karlsson might even be too long.

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
It ends up being redundant here, but outside of the Lightning fanbase, they haven't worked it out.

I like a 2-year bridge deal for Karlsson. Primarily to protect ourselves in the expansion draft, but signing everyone good to 6 and 7-year deals is unsustainable. We're also not getting him before his prime. The best years of the deal are probably the next few seasons anyway. If Karlsson wants to move on, or it's not working out with injuries and all that, he can still possibly try to sign with NYR then (and they'll more likely start to be good by that point).

Vasi, Cernak, Cirelli, Sergachev, and Joseph are up as RFAs next season. The cycle doesn't end. Two years for Karlsson might even be too long.

Yeah it never stops. I mentioned before the Karlsson at 2 or 3 year deal would be ideal, but if he wants long term its probably best we walk away from the situation.

I could see Joseph, Cirelli, and Cernak coming in relatively cheap. Cirelli being the one who would make close to 4 if he preforms just as good this year. Sergachev might demand more because reasons.

Vasi is up in the air from 6.5 - 8 depending on how next season goes. But I don't see Vasi at 8 years, most likely 6.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah it never stops. I mentioned before the Karlsson at 2 or 3 year deal would be ideal, but if he wants long term its probably best we walk away from the situation.

I could see Joseph, Cirelli, and Cernak coming in relatively cheap. Cirelli being the one who would make close to 4 if he preforms just as good this year. Sergachev might demand more because reasons.

Vasi is up in the air from 6.5 - 8 depending on how next season goes. But I don't see Vasi at 8 years, most likely 6.
Karlsson at multiple years would probably require a second round of trades next season to get the Vasi RFA class under contract. If we want roster change, Karlsson would provide it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Karlsson at multiple years would probably require a second round of trades next season to get the Vasi RFA class under contract. If we want roster change, Karlsson would provide it.

Tough call. We just lost our 6th strait playoff game but we won 62 regular season games. Change isnt a bad idea but how much change?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Tough call. We just lost our 6th strait playoff game but we won 62 regular season games. Change isnt a bad idea but how much change?
That's what I was thinking. We're mad now, but next season we could win the cup and then need to immediately dismantle significant parts of the team.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Would be worth it. I am ok with the Blackhawks method.
The beauty of the one-year deal is that Karlsson can still sign another one. I'd rather next year's trade decisions be made when the time comes than set that course now.

Marian Hossa signed a one-year deal with Detroit when they were making finals appearances. He followed that up with the 12-year Chicago deal (that's still running). Sometimes you're in the position of Detroit, sometimes you're in the position of Chicago to able to offer that kind of deal.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The beauty of the one-year deal is that Karlsson can still sign another one. I'd rather next year's trade decisions be made when the time comes than set that course now.

Marian Hossa signed a one-year deal with Detroit when they were making finals appearances. He followed that up with the 12-year Chicago deal (that's still running). Sometimes you're in the position of Detroit, sometimes you're in the position of Chicago to able to offer that kind of deal.

Can you imagine the absolute shit storm if Karlsson signed a 1 year sweet heart deal with us so we can sort all of this out? It would be glorious.

Reactions: CupsOverCash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad