Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If Karlsson ends up being reality, what kind of futures would you be after for Miller/Gourde?

Strictly picks, or would you also value cheap defensemen to fill the voids left by Coburn/Stralman/Girardi?

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
If Karlsson ends up being reality, what kind of futures would you be after for Miller/Gourde?

Strictly picks, or would you also value cheap defensemen to fill the voids left by Coburn/Stralman/Girardi?

Just picks, we have some young guys including sergachev, Foote and also have Jan Rutta for bottom pairing.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It was in response to a lineup without Erne, Callahan, and Paquette.

That's one line who plays 8 minutes a night. They are also not very good offensively so all their skill and dumping and chasing doesn't really do us much good. We need guys who can play that game and score. We have a few in Gourde, Miller, Killorn and Cirelli but Cooper doesn't utilize them properly. He needs to put those guys with a skill player or two to create some offense when it isn't as open as we like.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Getting EK in 2019 does feel much higher risk, in terms of team building, than it did in 2018.
I think getting McDonagh really changed things. I'd take Karlsson over McDonagh of course, but considering the issues facing this team, it just makes so little sense for us.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Thats the info we've been going off of. I just don't get why he says it has to be either of them when we have Cally to easily move and same with Gourde or Miller. Only possibility with Gourde is that he recently signed it, but business is business.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Thats the info we've been going off of. I just don't get why he says it has to be either of them when we have Cally to easily move and same with Gourde or Miller. Only possibility with Gourde is that he recently signed it, but business is business.
Moving Johnson makes sense if the alternative is to lose him in the expansion draft.

I've got to wonder if Karlsson has any effect on Point's contract. I've got to think that right now, Point isn't getting his deal done until after July 1st. If we can sign EK at a discount, JBB can justifiably use that as an argument to why Point should take a haircut.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Moving Johnson makes sense if the alternative is to lose him in the expansion draft.

I've got to wonder if Karlsson has any effect on Point's contract. I've got to think that right now, Point isn't getting his deal done until after July 1st. If we can sign EK at a discount, JBB can justifiably use that as an argument to why Point should take a haircut.
The only thing w Johnson is he has a NMC so it would be harder, plus tbh I think he's actually pretty good and a great option for us. But yeah I agree, if we get Karlsson in at a friendly number that would help bring Point down, but I don't see point being greedy when none of his peers were.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I like Johnson quite a bit but if I have a choice to move someone, it would be Palat first, Miller, then Johnson.

Drej is just not Drej anymore. His defensive game just isn't there anymore and he isn't a point machine. Miller just has spells where he looks so pedestrian. Johnson is the same. When he's bad, he's bad.

The one thing is though Johnson can produce in our top 6. Scores ES, can score on the PP, slot into the PK if desperately needed. Miller is the same but obviously doesn't have the jets like Johnson.

We should try to find someone to take Palat first, then Miller, then if need be Johnson.

Gourde goes nowhere, we need his style of play more than anything.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I hope the Rangers sign Karlsson, we can get Shattenkirk for cheap. Signed for two years which is a perfect amount of time as it allows Foote to develop properly till he needs to be in the top 4.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Karlsson comes here that would be great but I'm fully not expecting him to sign with the lightning.

Well no. No one should expect anything. Like I said my only expectation is that he is gonna do whatever he wants and my only confidence is that he will want to hear our offer at least.

But hey I'll be optimistic

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well no. No one should expect anything. Like I said my only expectation is that he is gonna do whatever he wants and my only confidence is that he will want to hear our offer at least.

But hey I'll be optimistic

I dont think anyone should expect it, but I don't think anyone should be surprised if it does happen. From what I heard, we were very close to acquiring him and we were at the top of his list. Melnyk denied him the chance to go to his top preference. Things can and probably will change but it wouldnt surprise me if he came right back to see if something can be worked out here. Question is will he be willing to take less and will we move out the necessary pieces to sign him and Point. Anybody's guess until we get close to FA.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Hopefully we can get rid of Johnson. Imagine only getting 47 points playing with Kuch and Point. On any other team he would be a 30 point player at this point.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hopefully we can get rid of Johnson. Imagine only getting 47 points playing with Kuch and Point. On any other team he would be a 30 point player at this point.

I can stomach Johnson because he is reliable come playoff time and doesn't shit his pants when someone throws a trap on us. His buddy Palat on the other hand was probably our worst player in almost every game he was in.

If you REALLY want to rock the establishment you send #18 packing

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Moving Callahan is a given. Whatever the NYR want we give them so long as they eat his entire salary. I'm pretty sure a pick or prospect puts the cherry on top

But who else to ship out?

Miller is the easy choice. But the longer I think about it the more sense it makes to move Palat first.

1. Guy is a locker room OG. Trading him sends a strong message that what happened is not acceptable
2. If we trade him we won't be crippled by it offenseively
3. $5.3 million salary
4. Opens top 6 spot
5. Maybe he gets more value in return than Miller because for all his faults he is still well respected
6. One less NTC to deal with

Added bonuses of no longer dealing with slow starts and injuries

It's probably best to do this on draft day.

I'm not saying we need to do this exact thing but an example would be to trade Palat to the NYI because him in Trotz's system could be a success. Plus they have an absolutely stupid amount of cap space. Like.... "Let's sign Karlsson!" levels of cap space.

Karlsson could go wherever he wants that isn't here and we still need to make these moves.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013

Johnson doesn't play #1 power play like thy do, he is really good for us and can literally play any position and shows up in playoffs. All for 5 mill.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Moving Callahan is a given. Whatever the NYR want we give them so long as they eat his entire salary. I'm pretty sure a pick or prospect puts the cherry on top

But who else to ship out?

Miller is the easy choice. But the longer I think about it the more sense it makes to move Palat first.

1. Guy is a locker room OG. Trading him sends a strong message that what happened is not acceptable
2. If we trade him we won't be crippled by it offenseively
3. $5.3 million salary
4. Opens top 6 spot
5. Maybe he gets more value in return than Miller because for all his faults he is still well respected
6. One less NTC to deal with

Added bonuses of no longer dealing with slow starts and injuries

It's probably best to do this on draft day.

I'm not saying we need to do this exact thing but an example would be to trade Palat to the NYI because him in Trotz's system could be a success. Plus they have an absolutely stupid amount of cap space. Like.... "Let's sign Karlsson!" levels of cap space.

Karlsson could go wherever he wants that isn't here and we still need to make these moves.
I’d keep Johnson and definitely get rid of palat ! For sure agree. There is no reason why palat should have been in our top 6 playing he didn’t deserve those mins

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
I feel Palat can bounce back, but what I think some are forgetting is that time is of the essence, and Palat and Johnson have NMC's. So Gourde or Miller can be moved no questions before July 1. In my opinion, I feel Gourde is very replaceable and his value is a little bloated. He also is 5"8/9, Palat has history, can bounce back and is bigger. We also won't get a ton for Palat at the moment because he had a poor year and people know we're in a pinch. So I just feel Gourde makes the most sense overall. Would love to see Alex Barre-Boulet or Volkov replace Gourde on Stamkos's wing and with ABB, it would be a 5"9 winger swap, instead of losing Miller or Palat who have some size which we need.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Man Ottawa might hire Patrick Roy I wish we would hire Roy over cooper just to yell at our guys and shake them up

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I feel Palat can bounce back, but what I think some are forgetting is that time is of the essence, and Palat and Johnson have NMC's. So Gourde or Miller can be moved no questions before July 1. In my opinion, I feel Gourde is very replaceable and his value is a little bloated. He also is 5"8/9, Palat has history, can bounce back and is bigger. We also won't get a ton for Palat at the moment because he had a poor year and people know we're in a pinch. So I just feel Gourde makes the most sense overall. Would love to see Alex Barre-Boulet replace Gourde on Stamkos's wing and would be a 5"9 winger swap, instead of losing Miller or Palat who have some size which we need.
Palat could bounce back, but he can just as easily have another horrible season and be even harder to move. It's not like he's been a beast in recent years, we wouldn't lose that much. We should definitely try to move him while he still has good reputation. I'll take Gourde any day over Palat.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Palat could bounce back, but he can just as easily have another horrible season and be even harder to move. It's not like he's been a beast in recent years, we wouldn't lose that much. We should definitely try to move him while he still has good reputation. I'll take Gourde any day over Palat.
Agreed, but it's all up to him as he holds the cards currently with that NMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad