Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Moving Callahan is a given. Whatever the NYR want we give them so long as they eat his entire salary. I'm pretty sure a pick or prospect puts the cherry on top

But who else to ship out?

Miller is the easy choice. But the longer I think about it the more sense it makes to move Palat first.

1. Guy is a locker room OG. Trading him sends a strong message that what happened is not acceptable
2. If we trade him we won't be crippled by it offenseively
3. $5.3 million salary
4. Opens top 6 spot
5. Maybe he gets more value in return than Miller because for all his faults he is still well respected
6. One less NTC to deal with

Added bonuses of no longer dealing with slow starts and injuries

It's probably best to do this on draft day.

I'm not saying we need to do this exact thing but an example would be to trade Palat to the NYI because him in Trotz's system could be a success. Plus they have an absolutely stupid amount of cap space. Like.... "Let's sign Karlsson!" levels of cap space.

Karlsson could go wherever he wants that isn't here and we still need to make these moves.

What are you willing to add to Callahan to send him to NY? We really don't have that great a prospect pool anymore so sending one of our good ones isn't ideal. Either is sending a high pick since we already lack high end talent. I also don't see the Rangers too interested as they already gave a full roster and are looking to move a player or two themselves.

We also don't need to shed his whole contract. I'm not saying we retain, unless we must, but we can take back salary. We still need a defender or two and possibly a depth forward. So I have no problem taking back a 2mil player if it lessens the add from us. We have roughly 8.5 in space right now, depends on the cap next year, with only needing to sign 3/4 forwards and 2/3 defenders. We have Erne, Paquette, Martel as RFA who could be brought back cheap. Masin an RFA who could be a depth defender. So 4 guys at about 4-4.5 depending on Paquette. All we really need is Point and another cheap D. So moving Callahan for a 2mil D we would have about 7 to sign Point which should be fine, obviously Karlsson is out. We don't need to trade several players if we don't want to.

Reactions: Todd1a and Hoek

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What are you willing to add to Callahan to send him to NY? We really don't have that great a prospect pool anymore so sending one of our good ones isn't ideal. Either is sending a high pick since we already lack high end talent. I also don't see the Rangers too interested as they already gave a full roster and are looking to move a player or two themselves.

We also don't need to shed his whole contract. I'm not saying we retain, unless we must, but we can take back salary. We still need a defender or two and possibly a depth forward. So I have no problem taking back a 2mil player if it lessens the add from us. We have roughly 8.5 in space right now, depends on the cap next year, with only needing to sign 3/4 forwards and 2/3 defenders. We have Erne, Paquette, Martel as RFA who could be brought back cheap. Masin an RFA who could be a depth defender. So 4 guys at about 4-4.5 depending on Paquette. All we really need is Point and another cheap D. So moving Callahan for a 2mil D we would have about 7 to sign Point which should be fine, obviously Karlsson is out. We don't need to trade several players if we don't want to.

What we lack in quantity in our prospect pool we make up for in quality. I don't know what else we add but I cannot imagine it being substantial considering we are would be handing the NYR their past/future captain and a player who can do just about everything. You're right about retention but I no longer believe that we are in a position to remain conservative. Karlsson could be off the table but that doesn't mean someone like Stralman is either. Something like a 2021 3rd rounder is absolutely worth the whole of Callahan's salary if it means the best possible player. Right now we are paying a guy almost $6 million to sit in the press box until called upon and it's not worth it to me to trade him simply to lose some of the salary. This isn't even about Karlsson anymore it's about any player. Because if any portion if Callahan's salary the difference for a player who helps us win the Cup then it's worth it to me to bite a bullet.

I'm tired of same team, same coach same mistakes year after year. What do we have to lose? Regular season records and 1st round exits? We cannot possibly botch this worse than giving up Gusev for absolutely nothing but Jason Garrison. Trade Callahan, trade Palat, rustle jimmies and spend their money on players who don't feel sorry for themselves when the going gets tough.

Everyone is right.... Cooper did NOTHING different and yet we could magically go out there and take it to the Jackets with nothing more than effort alone for 10+ minutes at a time.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Hose is right on with me he believes we are not getting karlsson

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I feel Palat can bounce back, but what I think some are forgetting is that time is of the essence, and Palat and Johnson have NMC's. So Gourde or Miller can be moved no questions before July 1. In my opinion, I feel Gourde is very replaceable and his value is a little bloated. He also is 5"8/9, Palat has history, can bounce back and is bigger. We also won't get a ton for Palat at the moment because he had a poor year and people know we're in a pinch. So I just feel Gourde makes the most sense overall. Would love to see Alex Barre-Boulet or Volkov replace Gourde on Stamkos's wing and with ABB, it would be a 5"9 winger swap, instead of losing Miller or Palat who have some size which we need.
You really believe they will trade gourde after they just signed him back in November to a long term deal ?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Trading anyone probably wouldn't send a message to the degree we'd like. It'd send a message if it were mid-season.

Late June - early July transactions to October is enough time for the new normal to set in.

hagg18

Dec 8, 2007

I’m not all that positive on Karlsson. The groin issues he’s had seem to slog him down and without his skating I’m afraid he’ll decline quite fast.

Since I don’t see how we’ll be able to first resign point this summer and then resign vasy, cernak and serg next summer. Then keep Hedman, Mac, cernak, serg and foote in the expansion draft. I think we would try to trade callahan with serg to rangers and get a better return. That would help both teams short term but more in the long term. I don’t see serg geting the minuites he need to develop in tampa anyway.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I’m not all that positive on Karlsson. The groin issues he’s had seem to slog him down and without his skating I’m afraid he’ll decline quite fast.

Since I don’t see how we’ll be able to first resign point this summer and then resign vasy, cernak and serg next summer. Then keep Hedman, Mac, cernak, serg and foote in the expansion draft. I think we would try to trade callahan with serg to rangers and get a better return. That would help both teams short term but more in the long term. I don’t see serg geting the minuites he need to develop in tampa anyway.
Yeah that's the other big issue, we can't protect our whole D core with or without Karlson.

Hedman and McD have NTC, then Cernak, Serg and Foote (if he's called up by then) we'll have to trade Seattle something to take someone else I suppose

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah that's the other big issue, we can't protect our whole D core with or without Karlson.

Hedman and McD have NTC, then Cernak, Serg and Foote (if he's called up by then) we'll have to trade Seattle something to take someone else I suppose
NTC's can be exposed IIRC, NMC's can't (although they can waive it). Hedman is the only one on D with an NMC, along with Kuch and Stammer up front.

If Karlsson wants to give us a discount, how about a short-term deal before signing the big one? TB will be able to protect another d-man then.

Seattle isn't coming in until 2021-22, so things will change.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What we lack in quantity in our prospect pool we make up for in quality. I don't know what else we add but I cannot imagine it being substantial considering we are would be handing the NYR their past/future captain and a player who can do just about everything. You're right about retention but I no longer believe that we are in a position to remain conservative. Karlsson could be off the table but that doesn't mean someone like Stralman is either. Something like a 2021 3rd rounder is absolutely worth the whole of Callahan's salary if it means the best possible player. Right now we are paying a guy almost $6 million to sit in the press box until called upon and it's not worth it to me to trade him simply to lose some of the salary. This isn't even about Karlsson anymore it's about any player. Because if any portion if Callahan's salary the difference for a player who helps us win the Cup then it's worth it to me to bite a bullet.

I'm tired of same team, same coach same mistakes year after year. What do we have to lose? Regular season records and 1st round exits? We cannot possibly botch this worse than giving up Gusev for absolutely nothing but Jason Garrison. Trade Callahan, trade Palat, rustle jimmies and spend their money on players who don't feel sorry for themselves when the going gets tough.

Everyone is right.... Cooper did NOTHING different and yet we could magically go out there and take it to the Jackets with nothing more than effort alone for 10+ minutes at a time.

I disagree on the fact that we have a quality prospect pool. We have no elite talent, no top line potential, Foote can be top pair but more a low end 2 but more likely a 3, few 2nd line talents, just a lot of bottom 6 potential. We have no goalies especially with Ingram looking like he's done here. No D outside Foote that look like NHL quality, Masin should be a bottom pair guy at worst but he may never be more than your typical 7/AHL call up guy. ABB is our top forward prospect which is concerning since he was just signed as an undrafted player last year, he put up a lot of points but a lot of them on the PP, is on the smaller side and doesn't play that gritty of a game like a Gourde.

Look at my prospect rankings in the prospect thread and the top 10 isn't great, the top 5 is ok but not special. We aren't the worst prospect pool but we aren't a top 10 team anymore. We are definitely a bottom half team, probably in the 20 spot.

I would love to dump Palat, Callahan hell even Miller since Cooper seems to not like him. I just don't think Brisebois wants to shake things up just yet and thinks this core is good enough. I just think we are in for another good year and unless Stamkos grows a pair we aren't winning it all again. Maybe after he fails his first time as the GM he will make some moves to address the issues.

Reactions: ultra63

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If I had to guess, Id say that we stand pat too. Maybe bring back one of Stralman or Coburn but not much otherwise. Maybe we make a move for some size up front. Other than that my guess is they stand pat and try to win this with pretty much the same team they just lost with. However, I wouldnt be surprised if they shook things up. Guess we will find out soon.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
From the Athletic:

16. Anton Stralman, Tampa Bay Lightning – Adding Stralman as a free agent in 2014 might have been one of former GM Steve Yzerman’s best under-the-radar moves. He’s a veteran puck-mover who typically has strong possession numbers. Being a right-shot defenseman helps the cause too. But the Lightning are in a cap crunch and there haven’t been any talks of note between Stralman and the Lightning, although neither side has ruled anything out. “No discussions with Tampa,” said his agent Marc Levine on Friday. “None.”

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Standing pat at this point seems like the literal definition of insanity.

Yes and no in my opinion. While I agree with what you say, I think I can see what they are thinking (not that I agree with it). I think they are thinking their team that went into the playoffs was not the same team that won all those games in the regular season. What I mean is that Hedman wasn't right. Stralman and Girardi weren't right. Point didn't seem right and he declined the Worlds. Probably was hurt. While injuries happen and is no excuse, they may still think that was part of the issue. Hopefully they also see everything else that happened and do at least a little tinkering to make this team a tougher team to play in the playoffs. Cap and needing to restock the prospects a bit may limit what we do going forward. Their thinking might be, lets try this again but manage them better at the end of the season. They were definitely going for the record instead of getting guys healthy.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
They can't do much of anything until Point is signed. He's the biggest contract that MUST be signed and how much he will get will obviously drive what's left for re-signing or UFAs or whatever.

Hope he gets signed at least before the draft. :puppy:

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yes and no in my opinion. While I agree with what you say, I think I can see what they are thinking (not that I agree with it). I think they are thinking their team that went into the playoffs was not the same team that won all those games in the regular season. What I mean is that Hedman wasn't right. Stralman and Girardi weren't right. Point didn't seem right and he declined the Worlds. Probably was hurt. While injuries happen and is no excuse, they may still think that was part of the issue. Hopefully they also see everything else that happened and do at least a little tinkering to make this team a tougher team to play in the playoffs. Cap and needing to restock the prospects a bit may limit what we do going forward. Their thinking might be, lets try this again but manage them better at the end of the season. They were definitely going for the record instead of getting guys healthy.
There not standing pat with these defenseman at least one top 4 defenseman or at least close to a top 4 defenseman will be brought in via free agency or trade. I think the route I would go is I’d trade gourde for a 1st round draft pick get rid of that 5.1 cap hit off our books. Then we would have two first rounders to hopefully kind of re stock our prospect system a bit. Then I’d do the standard buy out on Callahan! I don’t want to trade a good asset just to get rid of the Callahan contract for just one season! That then would give us like 17 million in cap space available. I’d offer point 8 years 8.5 per season avv and just get that contract done he is a number one center I’d get him signed long term. Then that gives us like 9 million in cap space left. I’d go in free agency see if I could get a defenseman to sign on a 2 or 3 year contract for like 3 million a season to help give us some depth. Then getting ceddy, Erne and Martel signed to there deals. I think we pass on karlsson because I think he goes to the rangers to be closer to Ottawa for his wife.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson is disappointing at times for sure but 29 goals and the most even strength ones. At least he brings something unlike Palat.

I have no problem with moving Johnson if he can get us a solid return, but I think we often undervalue how good he is. 47 points with almost no PP time is just fine for a second line player.

Johnson led the team in even strength goals. More 5v5 goals than Kucherov, Stamkos, or Point. And 5v5 scoring has been our Achilles heel come playoff time. Johnson has been a part of that problem, don't get me wrong. But I think we need to start paying more attention to how/when players score when thinking about new acquisitions. More PP scorers isn't going to solve anything.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Standing pat at this point seems like the literal definition of insanity.

So is keeping cooper. Dude had no answer for anything then blamed the lack of important games late in the season even though we had very playoff type games late (boston for one). Gonna be a long year.

Reactions: PJ817

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So is keeping cooper. Dude had no answer for anything then blamed the lack of important games late in the season even though we had very playoff type games late (boston for one). Gonna be a long year.
I think this is it for cooper after this year he is gone

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I have no problem with moving Johnson if he can get us a solid return, but I think we often undervalue how good he is. 47 points with almost no PP time is just fine for a second line player.

Johnson led the team in even strength goals. More 5v5 goals than Kucherov, Stamkos, or Point. And 5v5 scoring has been our Achilles heel come playoff time. Johnson has been a part of that problem, don't get me wrong. But I think we need to start paying more attention to how/when players score when thinking about new acquisitions. More PP scorers isn't going to solve anything.
Second line player? Dude played all year with two of the top five producers in the entire league.....

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Karlsson is beyond his best years and he is injury prone. He would make us even more lethal offensively but the cost and risk is too much . Would rather fill in depth on defense with two big guys who play physical and will clear the front of the net.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Karlsson is beyond his best years and he is injury prone. He would make us even more lethal offensively but the cost and risk is too much . Would rather fill in depth on defense with two big guys who play physical and will clear the front of the net.

You're right , EK has been fighting injuries a lot over the last few season and this time it's crystal clear that something is terribly wrong with him. One thing is for sure he's playing himself out of SJ. What's bugging me it's compete level, true that he's injured but he played on one leg in the past, in the Conf Final Ott-Pitts a fews years ago. Even if he was injured his intensity was still there .... Right now , i dont see this intensity

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
You're right , EK has been fighting injuries a lot over the last few season and this time it's crystal clear that something is terribly wrong with him. One thing is for sure he's playing himself out of SJ. What's bugging me it's compete level, true that he's injured but he played on one leg in the past, in the Conf Final Ott-Pitts a fews years ago. Even if he was injured his intensity was still there .... Right now , i dont see this intensity
Produces a bunch of points with zero intensity. He'll fit right in with the Lightning.

Reactions: ultra63 and Hoek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->