Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why not trade for Anderson? I know Columbus is going to need an influx of talent with Panarin gone. I doubt they would but maybe we could make it worth their while.

We could probably overpay for him. He's the only name that makes sense, really. Most other guys are either a reclamation project or not top-sixers anymore. My only worry is that his season might have been a bit of a mirage. He's never been a big scorer at any level. So, late bloomer or flash in the pan?

There were all sorts of rumors about him being traded to start the year.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We could probably overpay for him. He's the only name that makes sense, really. Most other guys are either a reclamation project or not top-sixers anymore. My only worry is that his season might have been a bit of a mirage. He's never been a big scorer at any level. So, late bloomer or flash in the pan?

I would. He is big and can skate. Something we have really lacked in the playoffs. We definitely have what it takes to get him, I just dont know if Columbus wants to after they saw how size can really be an asset in the playoffs.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

James Neal could get bought out. Just remembered that.

Trading and drafting are probably the most efficient way to get two-way/power forward types into the lineup for their prime years. They're probably going to be overpaid as UFAs, especially if TB doesn't want to marry them for 4-7 years. Power forwards don't need to pay state income tax here either though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
James Neal could get bought out. Just remembered that.

Trading and drafting are probably the most efficient way to get two-way/power forward types into the lineup for their prime years. They're probably going to be overpaid as UFAs, especially if TB doesn't want to marry them for 4-7 years. Power forwards don't need to pay state income tax either though.

Yeah, and they're the guys who always underwhelm as UFAs.

Honestly, I think that's only a small part of our problem anyway.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, and they're the guys who always underwhelm as UFAs.

Honestly, I think that's only a small part of our problem anyway.
If TB signs Simmonds or Neal or someone of that sort and they get 25 or more goals, that's on target. Expecting them to score 40, and they only have 10 by Christmas, because they're on a team with Stamkos and Kuch is where expectations lead to trouble.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If TB signs Simmonds or Neal or someone of that sort and they get 25 or more goals, that's on target. Expecting them to score 40, and they only have 10 by Christmas, because they're on a team with Stamkos and Kuch is where expectations lead to trouble.

25 is a stretch for a guy like Simmonds at this point though. Maybe Neal too. We need guys who primarily produce at ES.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
25 is a stretch for a guy like Simmonds at this point though. Maybe Neal too. We need guys who primarily produce at ES.
I think that we're too hard on them with new teams where their abilities probably weren't utilized to their fullest. Simmonds had 16 goals in 62 games with the Flyers before the trade. That projects out to 21 goals if he had stayed. It's not 25, but its also not something that couldn't be achieved over 2-3 good games.

James Neal initially flopped as a Penguin, notching 1g, 5a in 20 games before achieving his career high 40 goals with them the next season. That was years ago, but situation matters. He had been a consistent 20+ goal scorer for years with Dallas before that. He scored 21 in 59 games before his trade to Pittsburgh.

I'd obviously rather trade for a young guy that's going to break out next year, but the UFAs/possible UFA out there aren't completely terrible either if the contract is appropriate.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Now it's obviously difficult to draw any conclusions out of one stat, but I still found it interesting

Hits per game (teams in bold are still in the playoffs)
Vegas 46.6
Pens 42.75
Islanders 41.3
Caps 38.9
Columbus 37.4
Calgary 36.2
Tampa 36
Toronto 35.6
Canes 34.8
Sharks 31.4
Bruins 30.8

Colorado 29.6
Blues 28.4
Jets 26.5
Dallas 26.3
Preds 25.8

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think that we're too hard on them with new teams where their abilities probably weren't utilized to their fullest. Simmonds had 16 goals in 62 games with the Flyers before the trade. That projects out to 21 goals if he had stayed. It's not 25, but its also not something that couldn't be achieved over 2-3 good games.

James Neal initially flopped as a Penguin, notching 1g, 5a in 20 games before achieving his career high 40 goals with them the next season. That was years ago, but situation matters. He had been a consistent 20+ goal scorer for years with Dallas before that. He scored 21 in 59 games before his trade to Pittsburgh.

I'd obviously rather trade for a young guy that's going to break out next year, but the UFAs/possible UFA out there aren't completely terrible either if the contract is appropriate.
Isn't simmonds primary a pp scorer now though? We really need guys who can break through at ES.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm convinced they record this podcast through a few Styrofoam cups and some string.

Erlendsson says in this that Tampa is where Erik Karlsson wants to play, and he's let it be very known behind the scenes. Doesn't mean anything ultimately because he's not going to get the contract from TB he'd get from somewhere else, but talked about how Yzerman said during the whole Tavares thing that if a player of that caliber wants to play for you, you make it work. It sure seems like the ball is going to be in TB's court come July 1st.

I think he's going to go UFA, talk with Tampa and then resign his deal with SJ.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'm convinced they record this podcast through a few Styrofoam cups and some string.

Erlendsson says in this that Tampa is where Erik Karlsson wants to play, and he's let it be very known behind the scenes. Doesn't mean anything ultimately because he's not going to get the contract from TB he'd get from somewhere else, but talked about how Yzerman said during the whole Tavares thing that if a player of that caliber wants to play for you, you make it work. It sure seems like the ball is going to be in TB's court come July 1st.

Selfishly, I'd like to see SJ lose and then EK come here. That way he still has that fire in him to win it all when he gets here.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Yeah we are definitely talking to him but that doesn't mean we are getting him. But fingers crossed that we do. We have a lot of losses coming our way defensively and he will recoup them for sure

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I've said it for a while now, Karlsson is gonna come to Tampa. They will make it work.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If we get Karlsson, I honestly feel like we are screwing the pooch for us for years after. He'd be great but thinking of the future it doesn't seem like the smart move. Unless he signs for a short term deal, like 3 years.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Having a top-heavy team is not a recipe for success in this league. Adding Karlsson at the salary he'll command would severely limit our maneuverability moving forward. And we don't even know what he'll look like 3-4 years from now with all the injuries he's had.

We need to let this quick-fix idea go and focus on how we're going to re-tool while our core is still in their prime.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Yeah I think getting Karlsson on any kind of a long term deal is pretty much just accepting this core is never going to win a cup.

Elite talent is not the problem in Tampa. Unless he signs a shorter term, extremely team friendly deal, I think it hurts us more than helps us

Last edited:
Reactions: Obviously

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah I think getting Karlsson on any kind of a long term deal is pretty much just accepting this core is never going to win a cup.

Elite talent is not the problem in Tampa. Unless he signs a shorter term, extremely team friendly deal, I think it hurts us more than helps us
Getting EK in 2019 does feel much higher risk, in terms of team building, than it did in 2018.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Adding Karlsson longterm ruins our future lol? We had the deepest team of all time this year and got swept in 4. The Caps had Devvante Smith Pelly and Brett Connolly carrying them last year to a cup. I also saw Chris Johnson from Sportsnet said Karlsson would be willing to take a pay cut to come here. I can see Callahan, Gourde and maybe someone else gone at the draft. I'm really not crazy high on Gourde, I think we can replace him internally, and Karlsson will only make our offense better so it more than evens out.

Hedman-Cernak
McDonagh-Karlsson
Sergachev-Rutta/Foote

ABB, Raddysh, volkov, another prospect or a cheap FA signing can replace Gourde pretty easy.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It will depend on the moves we make. Number 1 for me is getting Point's deal done. If we want to make moves to bring in Karlsson then I wont complain. I think he goes to the highest bidder but I think he chooses a team in the east.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad