Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We could really use some good news. Like maybe Point to a team-friendly deal. Something to take the sting off.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We could really use some good news. Like maybe Point to a team-friendly deal. Something to take the sting off.
Unfortunately, I don't think that we'll get much until after the cup is awarded. Especially once the SCF start, the NHL really wants to limit distractions.

I don't have any doubts about Point signing in a timely manner though, look at the season William Nylander had after sitting out until December. Maybe it'll be "worth it" in the end, but from the outside, it does seem that he at least singed the bridge with Toronto.

Normally I'd have at least something to chew on with Marlies amateur try-outs regarding the Solar Bears, but all the Crunch had was Atte Tolvanen, who is signed back in Finland. TB doesn't even have anyone on their reserve list that has to get a contract sharpish.

TB signed Huntington and Lohin, but that's about it.

Last edited:

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

Since we lack size up front, lets sign this guy. He's almost as huge as Chara but a forward. He's currently Finland's captain in the World Championships.

He's by no means NHL quality but he would've been a wet dream of some old timer GMs and coaches.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Since we lack size up front, lets sign this guy. He's almost as huge as Chara but a forward. He's currently Finland's captain in the World Championships.

He's by no means NHL quality but he would've been a wet dream of some old timer GMs and coaches.

So...why? It'd maybe be worth it if he were ~10 years younger, but he's 33.

Alternatives (just looking quickly at WC rosters): Rodrigo Abols. 23-year-old, 6'4 Latvian and leading goal scorer for his SHL team in Orebro.

Dominik Kubalik. 23-years-old. 6'2. Czech left winger. Lead the Swiss NLA in points last season. An unsigned Blackhawks prospect.

Last edited:

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
The only thing that will take the sting off is next years playoffs.

The only thing tha will make this team I interesting again is retooling the core. Getting Point signed is important but doesn’t provide any change to last years failure.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Alternatives (just looking quickly at WC rosters): Rodrigo Abols. 23-year-old, 6'4 Latvian and leading goal scorer for his SHL team in Orebro.

Dominik Kubalik. 23-years-old. 6'2. Czech left winger. Lead the Swiss NLA in points last season. An unsigned Blackhawks prospect.
Bring back Artyukhin.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

I wasn't being serious. Just a thought that came to mind watching him play.

Bring back Artyukhin.

Maybe we can coax Nick Tarnasky out of retirement too.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The only thing that will take the sting off is next years playoffs.

The only thing tha will make this team I interesting again is retooling the core. Getting Point signed is important but doesn’t provide any change to last years failure.

Agree its going to be a little harder than normal to get up for regular season hockey in October. If I feel this way I can only imagine how the team feels. Have to go through a whole regular season for a chance to redeem yourself in the playoffs. For that reason it shouldn't be surprising to see more cold streaks as a team this year. Either way it would probably be that way. No way this team gets close to the amount of wins as last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I wasn't being serious. Just a thought that came to mind watching him play.

Maybe we can coax Nick Tarnasky out of retirement too.
I had a feeling of that, but the WHC's are still an opportunity to find a bit older guys in Euro leagues who could maybe still come over.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
We need at least 1 power forward who isn't afraid to win board battles and can keep the puck easily. Who that can be, I have no idea. Against Columbus, that was a thing I noticed that they did a lot -- shield the puck with their body. We couldn't, or didn't, do anything about it. I'd say give Lucic a new change of scenery, but that contract is f***ing atrocious. Maybe he'll get bought out and we can low-ball him. I hated that f***ing guy on the Bruins, but frankly, he's what this team needs. A bit of a nasty attitude, big, and tough.

I'm concerned with the team's passivity. Passiveness? Whichever word. We were more reactive than proactive, and our reactions to the bad things either weren't good, or non-existent. Which is weird because in the regular season, there was seemingly no deficit the Lightning couldn't overcome. In the playoffs, different story. We got taken out behind the shed, and beaten mercilessly. We looked like the 8th seed, and Columbus the 1st, every. single. game.

Losing that 3 goal lead in Game 1 destroyed this team mentally. I'm not sure what can be done to address that, but I do know that when a weaker team beats a superior team, oftentimes, the cause is a coaching issue. Not always, but often. Mental toughness can easily seep into team culture, so that needs to be addressed as soon as humanly possible. Again, not sure what the answer is. Hoping Cooper is on a pretty tight leash this season. I've said it many times -- he's a great coach, and was the perfect guy when Kuch, Johnson, all them were trying to find themselves in the league. He's just not the guy anymore.

As people have said, it's gonna be hard to be excited for hockey to start back up again. If a record-tying season equals zero playoff wins, I don't care about the regular season. The accolades were nice, but I'd much rather be playing still. We could beat Boston. We could beat anybody. We just didn't. Hard to put into words.

Last edited:

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'd say give Lucic a new change of scenery, but that contract is ****ing atrocious. Maybe he'll get bought out and we can low-ball him. I hated that ****ing guy on the Bruins, but frankly, he's what this team needs. A bit of a nasty attitude, big, and tough.

Have you seen Lucic play? Yes, he is still big but he doesn't have any attitude or toughness left in him, he can barely skate, he has hands of stone and has a hockey IQ lower than Artyukhin. I wouldn't even take him on a cheap contract..

I get your point and Lucic back in the day would've been something to consider, but no way now.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Have you seen Lucic play? Yes, he is still big but he doesn't have any attitude or toughness left in him, he can barely skate, he has hands of stone and has a hockey IQ lower than Artyukhin. I wouldn't even take him on a cheap contract..

I get your point and Lucic back in the day would've been something to consider, but no way now.

Was just throwing a name out there. I know he's pretty terrible these days, but couldn't really think of another power forward who could realistically come here.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We need at least 1 power forward who isn't afraid to win board battles and can keep the puck easily. Who that can be, I have no idea. Against Columbus, that was a thing I noticed that they did a lot -- shield the puck with their body. We couldn't, or didn't, do anything about it. I'd say give Lucic a new change of scenery, but that contract is ****ing atrocious. Maybe he'll get bought out and we can low-ball him. I hated that ****ing guy on the Bruins, but frankly, he's what this team needs. A bit of a nasty attitude, big, and tough.

I'm concerned with the team's passivity. Passiveness? Whichever word. We were more reactive than proactive, and our reactions to the bad things either weren't good, or non-existent. Which is weird because in the regular season, there was seemingly no deficit the Lightning couldn't overcome. In the playoffs, different story. We got taken out behind the shed, and beaten mercilessly. We looked like the 8th seed, and Columbus the 1st, every. single. game.

Losing that 3 goal lead in Game 1 destroyed this team mentally. I'm not sure what can be done to address that, but I do know that when a weaker team beats a superior team, oftentimes, the cause is a coaching issue. Not always, but often. Mental toughness can easily seep into team culture, so that needs to be addressed as soon as humanly possible. Again, not sure what the answer is. Hoping Cooper is on a pretty tight leash this season. I've said it many times -- he's a great coach, and was the perfect guy when Kuch, Johnson, all them were trying to find themselves in the league. He's just not the guy anymore.

As people have said, it's gonna be hard to be excited for hockey to start back up again. If a record-tying season equals zero playoff wins, I don't care about the regular season. The accolades were nice, but I'd much rather be playing still. We could beat Boston. We could beat anybody. We just didn't. Hard to put into words.
Lucic is thought to be too slow.

Ferland, Maroon, Simmonds, Brock Nelson, Brett Connolly (and others) are all upcoming UFAs. Ferland, Maroon, and Simmonds have all been rumored to be traded to TB in the past year or so, so it'd likely be one (or more) of those type of players. I hope TB doesn't give them 7-year deals or anything. The physical game wears guys out.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Lucic is thought to be too slow.

Ferland, Maroon, Simmonds, Brock Nelson, Brett Connolly (and others) are all upcoming UFAs. Ferland, Maroon, and Simmonds have all been rumored to be traded to TB in the past year or so, so it'd likely be one (or more) of those type of players. I hope TB doesn't give them 7-year deals or anything. The physical game wears guys out.
Ferland and Simmonds are going to be overpaid, no thanks. Maroon most likely wants to stay in St. Louis.

What kind of money is Nelson going to ask?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why not trade for Anderson? I know Columbus is going to need an influx of talent with Panarin gone. I doubt they would but maybe we could make it worth their while.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Gudlevskis just had a shutout against Italy. Bring him back and trade Vasi for Lucic.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

So he just can't fight, can't play hockey, and is just giant. This is the kind of stuff I hope we stay far away from.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
We need a Sustr replacement, someone who's good at being big and nothing else.

maxresdefault.jpg

z4jZz7wNvyA1fouG7

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
I don't think losing the 3 goal lead destroyed them mentally--but it gave Cbus boundless confidence and the team and Cooper didn't comprehend that until it was too late. They thought after Game 1 okay next game after we are up 3-0 we won't let them back in---problem was Cbus was up 3-0 with multiple PP goals and the game was over. From there they were right in the next 2, but a bad PK and poor goalie play doomed them (poor goalie play overall really hurt). I don't care how bad the D was, if your goalie's save % is .857 you won't win a series.

I get it, I'm still mad, but Boston sure looks like a cup winner--basically the same team we beat 4-1 last year. They didn't make any drastic changes. They added a couple nice deadline 3rd line guys that have contributed, but it's close to the same team.

Even that series-most remember as a 4-1 beatdown, but at 1-1 both games in Boston were very close, Palat I believe was the Gm 3 hero and then we won game 4 in OT-series could have easily been 2-2, but we went up 3-1 and then rolled them in game 5. Despite what the regular season said, there just isn't all that much separation in these teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad