Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
“It was much more mental, emotional than anything else,” he said. “Not to say we as coaches can’t do a thing to prepare for that and try to switch it when it happens, but I don’t think the series was about tactics and personnel adjustments.
“When you get into that pressure-packed situation, sometimes the brain gets turned off. It’s really uncomfortable not coming into form late in the season and going in (to the postseason) with bad habits. But it’s a very real thing they deal with. When habits are not sharp, bad stuff starts to happen.”

^Ridiculous

“Florida hired Joel Quenneville, the Flyers hired (Alain Vigneault). They’re all really good coaches,” BriseBois said. “They’re all experienced coaches who have succeeded at the NHL level, all their organizations and all fan bases are excited to get those coaches and rightfully so. But if you look at their past record, they’ve all had disappointment in the playoffs. They’ve been swept or went up 3-0 in a series and ended up losing. That doesn’t take away from how good a coach they are.”

^ buffoonish statement

Reactions: PJ817

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
BP didn't like how Cooper did not display a lot of accountability for how things turned out. A lot of his comments were basically putting the blame on the players instead of acting like a leader and shouldering the blame himself.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
BP didn't like how Cooper did not display a lot of accountability for how things turned out. A lot of his comments were basically putting the blame on the players instead of acting like a leader and shouldering the blame himself.

Agree he kind of spread the blame around. Not enough saying I should have done this or that, which I want to hear from my head coach.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Cooper:

“Did winning mask the problem? It might have,” Cooper said.

Those Cooper quotes are pretty freaking scary. He's taken the team as far as he can.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Cool. Let's all get President's Cup T Shirts and have everyone laugh at us. If you really think that's a big deal...I'm sorry to tell you but no one cares. In fact, it is embarrassing.
Oh i'm glad you speak for everyone, why does anyone bother posting here? I guess we should just give you a radio show now.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Oh i'm glad you speak for everyone, why does anyone bother posting here? I guess we should just give you a radio show now.
I'm not. But you bragging about 62 wins is pretty funny. Feel free to go to the main boards and start a thread bragging about it...see what happens.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm not. But you bragging about 62 wins is pretty funny. Feel free to go to the main boards and start a thread bragging about it...see what happens.
Agreed (for once). People will remember the 2018-19 Lightning for being the biggest chokers in NHL history rather than for any of the success we had in the regular season. We'll be the biggest laughing stock in the league until we win the Cup, and it's all deserved.

I mean, this regular season was probably the best time I've had watching the Lightning, but in the end it was all for nothing. This season was a waste, I could care less about a f***ing Presidents' Trophy.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Yeah I don't like those quotes from Cooper, either. There's no doubt that the players do hold a share of the blame, but they were completely and totally outclassed in every single portion of the game by a team that is not better than they are. They looked completely unprepared and lost. Once they saw the kind of game Columbus was gonna play, they just kind of accepted it and laid down.

I said it multiple times leading into the playoffs, teams were going to have to sell out 100% on defense to win, but I questioned if a team would be able to score enough to win over a series. My question was answered.

The Wild did this against us and embarassed us. There was another team that did it to us late in the season. They just sat back, picked off every pass, beat us to every puck and were able to counter effectively enough to get some goals.

The book was out and there wasn't much effort from the staff to erase that chapter.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah I don't like those quotes from Cooper, either. There's no doubt that the players do hold a share of the blame, but they were completely and totally outclassed in every single portion of the game by a team that is not better than they are. They looked completely unprepared and lost. Once they saw the kind of game Columbus was gonna play, they just kind of accepted it and laid down.

I said it multiple times leading into the playoffs, teams were going to have to sell out 100% on defense to win, but I questioned if a team would be able to score enough to win over a series. My question was answered.

The Wild did this against us and embarassed us. There was another team that did it to us late in the season. They just sat back, picked off every pass, beat us to every puck and were able to counter effectively enough to get some goals.

The book was out and there wasn't much effort from the staff to erase that chapter.

Wash, St Louis, Sota, NYI all played that game. I'm sure there are others as well. In the playoffs, when the games are tighter it doesn't matter how fast we are...that clutching, grabbing trapping game is an equalizer. Again, not every team executes well or even tries to do it. The ones that do...we have a real hard time.

And to everyone that thinks I am being overly negative...I want a change behind the bench. I'm ok with the consequences good or bad. I can't support the status quo because..."it just wasn't our year". That's a loser mentality to me. Change is good. Being dynamic is great. I understand that people fear change. But I truly believe change is for the better more times than not.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Agreed (for once). People will remember the 2018-19 Lightning for being the biggest chokers in NHL history rather than for any of the success we had in the regular season. We'll be the biggest laughing stock in the league until we win the Cup, and it's all deserved.

I mean, this regular season was probably the best time I've had watching the Lightning, but in the end it was all for nothing. This season was a waste, I could care less about a ****ing Presidents' Trophy.

That sums it up for me. Had a blast this regular season but it feels like all those games were a giant waste of my time after their efforts in the playoffs. This will sting for a while. Probably until they win the cup.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Those quotes are a nightmare.
The ones from Cooper and JBB are for sure. Look at my post above...

You would think they were talking about a young team that is learning how to compete in the playoffs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The ones from Cooper and JBB are for sure. Look at my post above...

You would think they were talking about a young team that is learning how to compete in the playoffs.

It just doesn't answer anything. It takes no responsibility/ownership. It's basically like, "Yeah, we're too good. Whatchya gonna do?"

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That sums it up for me. Had a blast this regular season but it feels like all those games were a giant waste of my time after their efforts in the playoffs. This will sting for a while. Probably until they win the cup.

One little note on that. I was a kid when Detroit won 62 games (like 9 maybe? But, as you might imagine, I was a diehard 9 year-old). It was heart-breaking when they lost in the playoffs. But, at the same time, when they won the next year, that somehow redeemed the 62 win year and made it a great memory. That might be because I was a child, but what I mean is, if you win a cup, some of the disappointments do go back to feeling like accomplishments. Like, when people talk about that 62 win Red Wing season, they're talking about it like a massive accomplishment, and it was. Now, would it be viewed that way if they never won a cup with that core? I really don't know. Next year is gonna suck for us on the main boards. That's the only thing I know for sure.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Just wait and see how meaningless next years regular season will seem.
Precisely the issue I am facing. Would winning a cup make it all better? Ya, it would. But I don’t believe a cup is coming for this core. And with SY gone I have no reason to believe in JBB to recalibrate.

It’s a pretty dark place as a fan when you have a team that’s built and largely signed long term that is entertaining to watch but not constructed to win the cup. I could make an argument the Lightning have become one of the least interesting teams in the NHL to follow without material personnel changes.

The dye is cast on this group.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
“It was much more mental, emotional than anything else,” he said. “Not to say we as coaches can’t do a thing to prepare for that and try to switch it when it happens, but I don’t think the series was about tactics and personnel adjustments.
“When you get into that pressure-packed situation, sometimes the brain gets turned off. It’s really uncomfortable not coming into form late in the season and going in (to the postseason) with bad habits. But it’s a very real thing they deal with. When habits are not sharp, bad stuff starts to happen.”

This is what I thought myself to be the main reason for the failure, I know people don't seem to agree and think it's a way to defend himself but I honestly believe this was the main issue (other things contributed too for sure). I just would like them to use mental coaches/experts, as those really can make a difference. Lot of sport teams do that in these days.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Looking at the lightning's roster of forwards shows we have 6 players under 6 feet tall and only two players that weigh more than 200 lbs. Look at everyone elses roster and they include almost all players who are taller than 6 feet and many greater than 200 lbs. Sorry folks but size does matter in the playoffs. When you field a team of midgets, you have to play perfect in the playoffs. Vasy did not cover up our warts in the playoffs like he did in the regular season!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
One little note on that. I was a kid when Detroit won 62 games (like 9 maybe? But, as you might imagine, I was a diehard 9 year-old). It was heart-breaking when they lost in the playoffs. But, at the same time, when they won the next year, that somehow redeemed the 62 win year and made it a great memory. That might be because I was a child, but what I mean is, if you win a cup, some of the disappointments do go back to feeling like accomplishments. Like, when people talk about that 62 win Red Wing season, they're talking about it like a massive accomplishment, and it was. Now, would it be viewed that way if they never won a cup with that core? I really don't know. Next year is gonna suck for us on the main boards. That's the only thing I know for sure.

I've always thought that there is no better way to win a championship than with some adversity along the way. This team or core rather had done just about everything but win a cup. Has been at or near the bottom of the barrel to being close to winning a cup. Have been swept and have tied the most wins in regular season ever. They've done everything but win a cup. So if they do, I cant of a team that has been through as much recently. Maybe the Sharks as they have been consistent contenders for a long time. Even they didn't go to 3 of 4 Conference Finals. I think you are right, if we win with this core we will look back at those times we lost and will at least think more positively on them. I'm sure the Caps and their fans felt amazing after winning their first one after being so close all those years. They arent thinking of all those times they lost now that they recently got one. If anything it made the experience better when they did win one. I think it would be similar for us even though we won it in 2004.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa

I mean, this regular season was probably the best time I've had watching the Lightning, but in the end it was all for nothing. This season was a waste, I could care less about a ****ing Presidents' Trophy.
I was proud of the team for their regular season and winning that trophy. I also do not feel any embarrassment from fans of other teams because I wasn’t talking shit (not saying that you or anyone in particular was doing so). On Facebook toward the end of the season, however, I said something like, “In case you’re from Tampa and haven’t been paying attention” and I posted a video (from one of the NHL shows, maybe Tonight or Overtime) which asked the question, “Are the Lightning the best team ever?” And then we get swept. THAT is embarrassing.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I was proud of the team for their regular season and winning that trophy. I also do not feel any embarrassment from fans of other teams because I wasn’t talking **** (not saying that you or anyone in particular was doing so). On Facebook toward the end of the season, however, I said something like, “In case you’re from Tampa and haven’t been paying attention” and I posted a video (from one of the NHL shows, maybe Tonight or Overtime) which asked the question, “Are the Lightning the best team ever?” And then we get swept. THAT is embarrassing.

Was listening to one of the radio shows on Lightning Power Play leading up to the playoffs. They were breaking down the Lightning for the playoffs and talking strengths/weaknesses. Bottom line they basically said this team has no weaknesses. Also heard them say it on NHL network. Hearing those and then seeing the team get swept really shocked me to the core. Still in shock honestly.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Was listening to one of the radio shows on Lightning Power Play leading up to the playoffs. They were breaking down the Lightning for the playoffs and talking strengths/weaknesses. Bottom line they basically said this team has no weaknesses. Also heard them say it on NHL network. Hearing those and then seeing the team get swept really shocked me to the core. Still in shock honestly.
There are only no weaknesses if they don't consider some metrics in their rubric.

It's like saying that humans have five senses. It could be 21 if you consider a sense of balance, pressure, pain, hunger, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad