Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 4 | They mostly sign July 1st... Mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Some general thoughts...
1) UFA signings were generally nuts today. 7 Mil for Pavs May be tough to swallow for some in the room and we don’t know how it would impact Point negotiations.
2) Points possible OS obviously may be impacting flexibility.
3) The D is weaker but how much? Stralls is good but was kinda worthless after November last year. Girardi is done.
4). Trading Miller was necessary, but I prefer him over Guorde. JBB doesn’t. I hope JBB is right.
5). Give us Serge in the top 4. His shot in the playoffs is desperately needed. Live with the growing pains. Give him McDonough.....unless
6) If the Lightning want Serge on the left side only, then trade him. Now. Get a vet RHD to fill the roll. Serge has plenty of value and this team is built to win now. Can’t waste that type of asset on the bottom pair anymore.
7). Give us Cirelli in the top 6. Stammer, suck it up and play on his wing. Let him do some dirty work. We didn’t sign grit but it’s right there in front of us.

I’m having trouble buying in after CBJ destroyed this team. Short of material personnel changes.....we need some material role changes and maybe a little boost at the TDL.

So now we wait and hope Coop shows some balls when camp starts.

And sign Point

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We need a legit top 6 player. Not a middle six, or a top 9. A top six. Preferably one with size. Kreider would be ideal imo. But no one really out there UFA wise fits for what we need

Trade is probably the most likely. I just don’t see anything happening soon with that though. Unless they ask a player to waive their ntc. Also could try to get a team to retain and we give some picks/prospects but for who? Krieder isnt a terrible option.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Trade is probably the most likely. I just don’t see anything happening soon with that though. Unless they ask a player to waive their ntc. Also could try to get a team to retain and we give some picks/prospects but for who? Krieder isnt a terrible option.
Would be happy to have Krieder for the right price.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would be happy to have Krieder for the right price.

Might even be possible. If there's one place players might give up a tax cut to play, it's New York. Panarin just took less money to go there.

Maybe we find a guy who really loves NY and see if we can figure out a move for Kreider?

...I heard Tyler Johnson had a good time there once. Saw it on Jimmy Kimmel.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Might even be possible. If there's one place players might give up a tax cut to play, it's New York. Panarin just took less money to go there.

Maybe we find a guy who really loves NY and see if we can figure out a move for Kreider?

...I heard Tyler Johnson had a good time there once. Saw it on Jimmy Kimmel.
Hes only got 1x yr left on his 4.6M cap hit deal. Rags need picks and prospects. If we offer them a sweet enough package we might be able to get them to retain some and not have to trade anyone from our lineup.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hes only got 1x yr left on his 4.6M cap hit deal. Rags need picks and prospects. If we offer them a sweet enough package we might be able to get them to retain some and not have to trade anyone from our lineup.

Until Point gets signed, I don't know if we can take on any cap at all. I mean, a couple of million could make or break it. If Point comes in cheap, and we wind up with space, maybe we go back and offer NY a ton to retain 50%. Otherwise, we probably have to send money their way.

Given that they just signed Panarin, who knows what they'd want. Or if he's even still on the block. I thought they were rebuilding. They sold off everybody. And then signed Panarin to, if I'm not mistaken, the 2nd biggest deal in the league.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
Off the wall predictions:

-Cernak & Cirelli regress- sophomore slumps
- missing rookie contribution like years past
-Star player injured in camp (guess?)
-Discover Vasy dealing with mental issues (hence the secrecy of 3 NHL goalies & McElhinney signing). Seriously he looked off vs CLB & during the awards ceremony
- team struggles for most of the season
-JBB rides it out w/Cooper bc they’re boys & secretly lovers, afraid to fire him
-Bolts miss playoffs, rumors swirl
-Vinik sells team- without SY he doesn’t like us anymore. Takes his $50k/game with him
-Local charities suffer, take up Rays baseball
-Offseason starts- no significant changes (we like the core )
- Free agency- we sign Dominic Moore, Teddy Purcell, & Lukas Krajicek
-repeat
-repeat
-repeat
- Win Stanley Cup 2024 on June 7th (our 20th anniv) Pierre McGuire blows his load between the benches as it’s revealed his secret love child was born 20 years to the day & scores the GWG for us. The mother.... Manon Rheaume.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Off the wall predictions:

-Cernak & Cirelli regress- sophomore slumps
- missing rookie contribution like years past
-Star player injured in camp (guess?)
-Discover Vasy dealing with mental issues (hence the secrecy of 3 NHL goalies & McElhinney signing). Seriously he looked off vs CLB & during the awards ceremony
- team struggles for most of the season
-JBB rides it out w/Cooper bc they’re boys & secretly lovers, afraid to fire him
-Bolts miss playoffs, rumors swirl
-Vinik sells team- without SY he doesn’t like us anymore. Takes his $50k/game with him
-Local charities suffer, take up Rays baseball
-Offseason starts- no significant changes (we like the core )
- Free agency- we sign Dominic Moore, Teddy Purcell, & Lukas Krajicek
-repeat
-repeat
-repeat
- Win Stanley Cup 2024 on June 7th (our 20th anniv) Pierre McGuire blows his load between the benches as it’s revealed his secret love child was born 20 years to the day & scores the GWG for us. The mother.... Manon Rheaume.
Vinik is not selling now maybe he does 10-15 years from now when he is much older and his kids don’t want to run the Lightning.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Consider also that Kerfoot is RFA.
So, with 11M available, if they'll resign him it means "bye bye Marner".

I think Mitch and his agent won't accept a bridge deal.
I suppose they want a long term contract, very rich also (10+M at least).
Toronto has Marner, Kerfoot and Ceci RFA, with 11M available.
Last year, if I've read the right thing, Ceci has earned 4+M
Kerfoot 1M.
It's clear that the cap space is not enough to resign these 3 guys...

You guys are forgetting the 5.3m of Horton's LTIR. It's about 16-17m roughly for Marner/Ceci/Kerfoot. It fits.

How did Toronto get better? Zaitsev for Ceci is a wash, Barrie is an upgrade on Hainsey but Kerfoot is a downgrade on Kadri. They lost Marleau and Brown who were decent depth. They pretty much stayed the course, they just sacrificed some offense to improve the defense.

Marleau and Brown were replacement level players that have been replaced from within already. Slight downgrade on Kerfoot/Kadri (although Kadri isn't as valuable in the 3C spot as he is in the 2C spot).

Having a guy who can move the puck on the right side MASSIVELY improves the team. And the offense. A big issue we've had for 3 years now is having teams able to forecheck the shit out of our LDs forcing our RDs to make plays that they werent capable of making.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
You guys are forgetting the 5.3m of Horton's LTIR. It's about 16-17m roughly for Marner/Ceci/Kerfoot. It fits.

Marleau and Brown were replacement level players that have been replaced from within already. Slight downgrade on Kerfoot/Kadri (although Kadri isn't as valuable in the 3C spot as he is in the 2C spot).

Having a guy who can move the puck on the right side MASSIVELY improves the team. And the offense. A big issue we've had for 3 years now is having teams able to forecheck the **** out of our LDs forcing our RDs to make plays that they werent capable of making.

Oh cool. An entirely separate forum that deals with another teams off-season finds itself discussing the Toronto Maple Leafs with Toronto Maple Leafs fans.

It's never enough is it?

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
It's kind of crazy to just roll the dice once again with the same group of forwards and coach with a system that's defeated when it comes to the playoffs. Nobody has come in to make it harder to play against and Cooper hasn't changed and didn't change his plan up to beat the trap or find a way to make it any better in 12 periods against the Jackets. We are going into this coming season excluding any changes with the same top 6 and hoping Palat can rejuvenate his career. It's kind of deflating to the point where it's sheer stupidity.

You can rank players hits, their goals, etc as being higher than this guy, not being higher than this guy, or ask who would replace Cooper but the fact of the matter is, the overwhelming majority of this team has had repeated failures in this league when it matters most. That entire top 6. Cirelli has gotten a taste, Erne, Paquette, Killorn, etc have gotten their share. McD, Hedman, Sergachev and Coburn as well. There are no winners on this team. Nobody from outside of this core or group with a winning perspective to reign it in or dial us in, off the ice or on the ice. This is all barring the audacity of your coach being unwilling to change his system, especially when it matters.

You're going into another year trying virtually the same thing with guys whose compete levels you have seen already lose, several times. Having high hockey IQs and teams highly skilled is great, but our compete level and grit is lacking and it's glaring. There is very little heart and soul on this team. It's a damn shame. It's crazy to just expect "this could be our year," and not make any moves. It creates a culture of complacency and you become the San Jose Sharks. Back in 2016, we talked about that on here. Well, that time has arrived. If we stand pat without mortgaging any of the future and fail again this year, what reasoning is then given to explain the shortcomings? Not digging at anybody, just being honest.

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
You know who might not be a bad idea? Dzingel. Given the contracts going out today, I'm sure he's gonna cost 7+, but it'd be nice to maybe throw him on the wing with Stamkos.

Not at 7, mind you. Just in general. He'd be a decent player to have.

Disagree. Don't like him.
Type of deal we would regret in a few months

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
all we got to do is make the playoffs I don't care about being the top seed
Yeah, home ice doesn’t mean anything these days anyway. I don’t care if we get in on the 2nd wild card spot. Just get in and play more than 4 games this time okay?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Next season we will pay Matt Carle more to not play (last year of $1.833M buyout) than all our other defensemen except Heds and McD .

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You know who might not be a bad idea? Dzingel. Given the contracts going out today, I'm sure he's gonna cost 7+, but it'd be nice to maybe throw him on the wing with Stamkos.

Not at 7, mind you. Just in general. He'd be a decent player to have.

Who is Dzingel even an upgrade over? This past season he was better than Palat but the one prior Palat was better. He was probably on par with Johnson or Gourde this year. Is he better than Joseph, he sure is but is Dzingel at 4mil better than Joseph at 750k? Heck no. This was also a career year for him while Palat had his worst season. He's only a year younger than Palat too, it's not like we are getting a much younger player. If you could convince Palat to waive and get good value for him I would move him but until then we need to hope Palat rebounds. Dzingel is also pretty soft and his playoff numbers are worse than Gourde or Miller.

You know who was a big time star free agent signing last summer? Kovalchuk. Ondrej Palat had the same amount of points as he did this year. You know who's a big forward that people say we should target? Could. Ondrej Palat had the same amount of points as him last year. If our weakest link in the top 6 than we have a damn good top 6. Even at his worst Palat still can produce ok. If he doesn't bounce back then he gets dropped to the 3rd line.

This will be Killorns last year, NTC becomes limited. Palat and Johnson have two seasons left before both are gone, limited NTC and expansion draft. Gourde has three years before his NTC chances so he should be gone then or at least shopped. We will have turnover to this group but it's still another year away but they will be moved eventually. Nobodies even fallen off that bad where we are considering a buyout or having to add to dump them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad