Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 4 | They mostly sign July 1st... Mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Who's still out there that may be of help for a decent price?
We need a legit top 6 player. Not a middle six, or a top 9. A top six. Preferably one with size. Kreider would be ideal imo. But no one really out there UFA wise fits for what we need

HC7

May 2, 2018
How did Toronto get better? Zaitsev for Ceci is a wash, Barrie is an upgrade on Hainsey but Kerfoot is a downgrade on Kadri. They lost Marleau and Brown who were decent depth. They pretty much stayed the course, they just sacrificed some offense to improve the defense.

We lost an overpaid depth winger, we should replace internally, Verheaghe or Volkov, and two declining defenders. The way Schenn played last year I feel him and Girardi are close to a wash. A full year of Cernak should replace Stralman. Sergachev actually given a chance to play his game should make up for any other shortcomings. We have Ruuta instead of Koekkoek as the 7th D. We aren't any worse. Plus I expect guys like Cirelli and Joseph to improve to make the top 9 even better. We just need Verheaghe or Volkov to push Erne and Paquette for a spot and we have 4 really good, young hungry guys on the 4th line. Erne has showed he can fill in on the 3rd line, Verheaghe has good scoring ability and could play on the 3rd if needed to me and Volkov could potentially be a top 6 winger. We aren't a worse team because we don't have an overpaid 35 year old 2md line wing.

Kerfoot had 2 less points than Kadri. Barrie would have led the Lightning D in scoring.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kerfoot had 2 less points than Kadri. Barrie would have led the Lightning D in scoring.

Barrie wouldn't have done that without PP time. He won't in Toronto either.

Kadri as a 2C is a 30 goal scorer.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
You know what I love best about prospects? They're definitely going to work out. It's why the absolute best way to proceed is to throw some rookies in the holes and ride it to the Stanley Cup. Super excited for some guys who have not played in the NHL to save us.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Barrie wouldn't have done that without PP time. He won't in Toronto either.

Kadri as a 2C is a 30 goal scorer.

I could easily say Kadri wouldn't have done what he did without PP time. What's your point?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I could easily say Kadri wouldn't have done what he did without PP time. What's your point?

He'll get some PP time in Colorado. My point is, going back to an increased role, he's going to be significantly better than Kerfoot was for Colorado. Whereas Barrie is going to be a little bit better than Gardiner, so long as Reilly takes the bulk of the PP time.

I think it's a good deal for Toronto. I'm just not sure they're going to be better than last year. I think they might be, if Nylander bounces back.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Technically we've already had Tyson at one time when he was 16 and his dad forced him into the Lightning development camp at Bear Mountain. Good times.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You know what I love best about prospects? They're definitely going to work out. It's why the absolute best way to proceed is to throw some rookies in the holes and ride it to the Stanley Cup. Super excited for some guys who have not played in the NHL to save us.

What holes? The prospects I'm suggesting aren't some 18 year old kid we just drafted, they are 22-24 year olds who've been in the system for a few years. They aren't going to be jumping into the top 6 either, they'll be 4th liners who move up a line if there are injuries. I'm only expecting 20-25 points tops out of them.

In 13-14 we threw out Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Gudas, Brown, Panik, Barberio and Sustr as guys with under 50 games experience and mostly all rookies and we finished 2nd in the division. Sometimes throwing kids out there works and isn't an automatic failure like you think.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
You know who might not be a bad idea? Dzingel. Given the contracts going out today, I'm sure he's gonna cost 7+, but it'd be nice to maybe throw him on the wing with Stamkos.

Not at 7, mind you. Just in general. He'd be a decent player to have.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Dzingel will get a 4 or 5 mill easily. Someone will overpay on term though.

Second thought, so what are we going to do with our line up now?

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Schenn
Ruuta/Witkowski

Unless we park Witkowski permanently in Syracuse, what was the point? Basically we are saying we won't give Foote or Masin a shot or what? Re-signing Ruuta was a dumb decision considering we made these moves now. I don't think any GM in the league will take Ruuta off our hands. Sending him down to Syracuse, I'm not sure how much of a saving we get burying him.

Last edited:

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
You know who might not be a bad idea? Dzingel. Given the contracts going out today, I'm sure he's gonna cost 7+, but it'd be nice to maybe throw him on the wing with Stamkos.

Not at 7, mind you. Just in general. He'd be a decent player to have.

He had a career year that he is never gonna match. He also doesn’t fill any kind of need for us but sure let’s sign him because we can.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Schenn
Ruuta/Witkowski

Unless we park Witkowski permanently in Syracuse, what was the point? Basically we are saying we won't give Foote or Masin a shot or what? Re-signing Ruuta was a dumb decision considering we made these moves now. I don't think any GM in the league will take Ruuta off our hands. Sending him down to Syracuse, I'm not sure how much of a saving we get burying him.

I assumed Witko was for Syracuse.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
He had a career year that he is never gonna match. He also doesn’t fill any kind of need for us but sure let’s sign him because we can.
He put up career high numbers playing on a really bad OTT team and a last team in the playoffs Columbus, but yeah. Definitely wouldn't do anything on a higher skill team. It'd be just for the sake of doing it. Sure wouldn't be an improvement over Palat in the top 6 lmao. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I forgot we can't discuss stuff here unless we have some really cool charts to put up before we belittle everyone for having an opinion.

Reactions: berlin

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I assumed Witko was for Syracuse.
As did I, but what if he is our first call up? Or he is the insurance policy for veteran call ups?

I would be way more comfortable carrying Witkowski as our seventh D. I would be happier if we eat the penalty and just buy out Rutta's 1.3 million. Penalty would only be 400k for 2 years and we could just give the remaining 900k to Point or Martel or Paquette.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As did I, but what if he is our first call up? Or he is the insurance policy for veteran call ups?

I would be way more comfortable carrying Witkowski as our seventh D. I would be happier if we eat the penalty and just buy out Rutta's 1.3 million. Penalty would only be 400k for 2 years and we could just give the remaining 900k to Point or Martel or Paquette.

I think it's because we loved him in Syracuse during his time here. Filled a leadership role. I don't see him as our first call-up right now. I also have no clue if he's coming as a forward or a defenseman though.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Schenn
Ruuta/Witkowski

I’d probably switch Serg with Cernak. Not an awful top 4, but not great either, comrade dyatlov.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I’d probably switch Serg with Cernak. Not an awful top 4, but not great either, comrade dyatlov.
I remember the fancy analytics showed that Sergachev's best pairing was with Coburn. Preferably I would like him there, but he needs top 4 minutes to grow. His second best pairing was with Hedman. McDonagh was one of his worst with Girardi.

And we all know how good McDonagh and Cernak are together.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I think it's because we loved him in Syracuse during his time here. Filled a leadership role. I don't see him as our first call-up right now. I also have no clue if he's coming as a forward or a defenseman though.
If he's just a flat sign for Syracuse, maybe I'm looking to much into it. Also forgot he plays wing and d now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he's just a flat sign for Syracuse, maybe I'm looking to much into it. Also forgot he plays wing and d now.

I'm assuming he's just for Syracuse. They lost a few players today. And the organization always loved Witko as a minor league leader.

I remember the fancy analytics showed that Sergachev's best pairing was with Coburn. Preferably I would like him there, but he needs top 4 minutes to grow. His second best pairing was with Hedman. McDonagh was one of his worst with Girardi.

And we all know how good McDonagh and Cernak are together.

I think we'll end up going back to McD-Cernak, but I do wonder if Hedman-Cernak would allow Hedman to open his game up again. McDonagh was a lot better offensively than we thought he would be last season, and part of that may have been because he had such a reliable partner.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Luke is now listed on the Lightning website under the Team Roster as a forward. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad