Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 4 | They mostly sign July 1st... Mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
really-tell-me-more.gif

You can just say "I didn't actually watch last season and I just like to be contrary to absolutely everyone for everything because that's what I do".

Palat was absolute garbage last season and he was glued to Stamkos, cause he's a Norfolk guy, but please, tell me more about how Cooper will drop him to the third line.

I never said he wasn't bad last year, I admitted it was his worst season. It was also Dzingels best in a contract year. But you make it seem like Palat put up 20 points last year. His 34 points were still on par with a 2nd liner, a very low end one but a 2nd liner still. We already know what Killorn is and he's works too well with Cirelli to move him so there was no point in moving Palat to the 3rd line and Killorn up. Miller got time where Palat was and didn't crush it either.

My hope is that Joseph comes into camp bigger and stronger and challenges for that 2nd line spot. I can see a 20-20 season out of him. Volkov has pressed for a spot the past two years, maybe this is the year he breaks through and takes that spot. Stamkos is a hard dude to play with, besides St. Louis there really hasn't been a winger that has meshed with him that well and he's made some good wingers look bad at times. Palat is under contract with a NTC we can't just say poof and the NTC or him are gone. He's still a decent player and if he can get back in form is a good top 6 winger.

Reactions: JAY7791 and DFC

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Palat had 8 goals and 34 points in 64 games last season. That's a 10 goals and 44 points pace for 82 games.
The season before he had 11/35 in 56. That's 16/51 in 82.
The season before he had 17/52 75. That's 19/57 in 82.
The season before he had 16/34 in 62. That's 21/53 in 82.

Palat has unfortunately been on a decline for years now. He can't stay healthy and his production steadily decreased from season to season (despite getting top-6 and 1PP minutes). Are we really acting as if Palat will ever bounce back to old form?

I'm not expecting Palat to hit 20 goals or 60 points again. I think he can get back to 15-35/40 type of player. What worries me more than the production is the defensive play has been weak. I just think he needs off Stamkos wing as it's not working.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'm not expecting Palat to hit 20 goals or 60 points again. I think he can get back to 15-35/40 type of player. What worries me more than the production is the defensive play has been weak. I just think he needs off Stamkos wing as it's not working.
What DOES work for Palat?

Reactions: JoVel

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
What DOES work for Palat?
Palat needs to be on the 4th line. Plain and simple. He does not in any way deserve to be on a scoring line.

Volkov-Stamkos-Gourde
Johnson-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Joseph
Palat-Paquette-Erne/Martel

If we're not going out to get a top 6 guy, this is the only thing that makes sense.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah he used to bring much more than just scoring. But the pitbulling, hitting and puck retrieving wasn't part of his game either last season. He could barely stay on his skates on some nights while still getting the benefit of the doubt from Cooper (= 16-18 minutes per game). For a 3rd or 4th liner he earns too much, simple as that. It's sad too, he was always a fan favorite and seems like a decent guy.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Yeah he used to bring much more than just scoring. But the pitbulling, hitting and puck retrieving wasn't part of his game either last season. He could barely stay on his skates on some nights while still getting the benefit of the doubt from Cooper (= 16-18 minutes per game). For a 3rd or 4th liner he earns too much, simple as that. It's sad too, he was always a fan favorite and seems like a decent guy.
Yep. He'd always used yo create something at least. Best way to describe him was "the straw that stirs the drink." Now, he's got nothin. Ineffective.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Ah yes, the veteran voice of Curtis McElheney, the career backup goaltender, I'm sure will be taken extraordinarily seriously in the locker room. Might as well slap an A on him.
We really don't know what McElhinney brings in intangibles. From a future goalie coach to the high end levels like Ken Holland and Emile Francis who both had rather modest NHL careers as goalies but turned out alright.

You see quite a few grinders transition into coaching, so it's not unreasonable to think.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
We really don't know what McElhinney brings in intangibles. From a future goalie coach to the high end levels like Ken Holland and Emile Francis who both had rather modest NHL careers as goalies but turned out alright.

You see quite a few grinders transition into coaching, so it's not unreasonable to think.
I'm just saying, its hard to picture a career backup legitimately giving advice to a Vezina winner.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

This is an interesting thread to read. Click on the tweet and read the responses.

Addresses Kreider and EE basically saying the only move JBB has to upgrade the roster at this point is through trade.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm just saying, its hard to picture a career backup legitimately giving advice to a Vezina winner.
I do get that, but look at Frantz Jean. His career highlight as a player is 11 games in the QMJHL and 5 years with the University of Moncton (Canadian Universities allow 5 years of eligibility to get them started in masters programs).

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

This is an interesting thread to read. Click on the tweet and read the responses.

Addresses Kreider and EE basically saying the only move JBB has to upgrade the roster at this point is through trade.

When we didnt move Gourde the only move really available is through trade and even that is limited right now because of Point. I think we will make a move but it wont be until Point gets figured out.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If Palat continues to suck this year he will be harder to move next year. Would we just buy him out?

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I wouldn't mind a dirt cheap veteran contract for Mr. Game 7. 2x2 would be alright considering next year is going to be a lockout.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't see any moves happening. I think JBB adressed Syracuse and is going to call it an offseason aside from the RFA stuff. We're gonna stay the course. He's obviously OK with going into the season with the D as it is and they'll bring in Volkov/ABB/Verhaeghe to fill the hole on the wing.

For better or worse, this is the team we're going with boys. Buckle up.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't see any moves happening. I think JBB adressed Syracuse and is going to call it an offseason aside from the RFA stuff. We're gonna stay the course. He's obviously OK with going into the season with the D as it is and they'll bring in Volkov/ABB/Verhaeghe to fill the hole on the wing.

This is what I thought would be the case unless we traded Gourde. I will say though that once we get Point done and maybe Pacquette we can see where we stand. Maybe we make a move before the season starts but I see it happening closer to the deadline after we have gotten a hard look at our team as is.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

EE thinks JBB will strongly explore trade options to improve the defense and plug the forward holes with rookies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
If we can get a team to retain on a player would be ideal but who?
Dumba, Ristolainen, Faulk. I could see any of those guys.

Still don't see how it makes sense unless they're dealing off futures only. They're not gonna get those guys for Domingue and a pick.

I highly doubt we see a trade unless it's a minor one. Like Erne for a similarly unimpressive d man.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Man. Aho's agent (also Point's agent) saying outright that he believes Aho wants to play in MTL.

That's why it went to Aho vs. Point. Point wants to stay in TB. I'm assuming MTL were told as much.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
I never said he wasn't bad last year, I admitted it was his worst season. It was also Dzingels best in a contract year. But you make it seem like Palat put up 20 points last year. His 34 points were still on par with a 2nd liner, a very low end one but a 2nd liner still. We already know what Killorn is and he's works too well with Cirelli to move him so there was no point in moving Palat to the 3rd line and Killorn up. Miller got time where Palat was and didn't crush it either.

My hope is that Joseph comes into camp bigger and stronger and challenges for that 2nd line spot. I can see a 20-20 season out of him. Volkov has pressed for a spot the past two years, maybe this is the year he breaks through and takes that spot. Stamkos is a hard dude to play with, besides St. Louis there really hasn't been a winger that has meshed with him that well and he's made some good wingers look bad at times. Palat is under contract with a NTC we can't just say poof and the NTC or him are gone. He's still a decent player and if he can get back in form is a good top 6 winger.
He had a really nice goal in the playoffs vs CBJ that made me saw that old Palat still in him. Could definetley see a bounce back season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Man. Aho's agent (also Point's agent) saying outright that he believes Aho wants to play in MTL.

That's why it went to Aho vs. Point. Point wants to stay in TB. I'm assuming MTL were told as much.
Bergevin said it at the press conference. It looked like a tactic, like, "why match when he wants to play here anyway?" but if aho's agent is saying it... Bleh, what a terrible spot for Carolina to be in. They might have to give him up. Either that or keep him for a year and then trade him for the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad