Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 4 | They mostly sign July 1st... Mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If we want to overvalue veteran presence, whatever Stralman, Callahan and Girardi brought - McElhinney will NOT address that WHAT SO EVER.
Yeah, 219 career games at age 36. Being a "veteran" shouldn't be about age without considering playing experience in the NHL right?

Reactions: Iceman

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, 219 career games at age 36. Being a "veteran" shouldn't be about age without considering playing experience in the NHL right?

McElhiney's rookie year 07-08, Callahan rookie year 07-08, Stralman 07-08. Girardi was 06-07 so he's got one more season of experience. I don't know how much players listen to the backup anyway so not sure how much veteran presence he will have but just because a backup joirneymjo hasn't played 1000 games doesn't mean he isn't a "veteran" or have experience.

Reactions: Todd1a

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
McElhiney's rookie year 07-08, Callahan rookie year 07-08, Stralman 07-08. Girardi was 06-07 so he's got one more season of experience. I don't know how much players listen to the backup anyway so not sure how much veteran presence he will have but just because a backup joirneymjo hasn't played 1000 games doesn't mean he isn't a "veteran" or have experience.
I think it’s about if Vasilevskiy is horrible in the playoffs again you can go to your plan b goalie until Vasilevskiy gets his head together

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I’m sure he brings some value and will have some advice for young and/or fringe NHL players and by now he actually has become a solid NHL backup. But playing in the A half of the season waiting for a call-up and sitting on planes with guys who do actually get to play in the NHL isn’t exactly a “been there done that” veteran like Cally, Strals, or G were, who successfully played in key roles for their teams, wore letters on their chest and went deep in the playoffs several times.

He was brought in for a reason, sure, but I’m not buying that it was for him to be a voice and leader in the locker room.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I know some have concern that Montreal is going to OS Point after Carolina matches their OS on Aho and their original target was Point. Why do you think they'll circle back to Point after failing to get Aho? I think they were told to OS Aho by their agent (Point and Aho) because it was already discussed and Point told his agent he had no interest in signing with Montreal and would not sign an offer sheet. I'm pretty sure Montreal wouldn't waste their time putting another offer sheet together for Point, knowing he's not going to sign it. I don't understand where the fear comes from because it's pretty clear Point told them no from the start.

Reactions: mjtm777

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I know some have concern that Montreal is going to OS Point after Carolina matches their OS on Aho and their original target was Point. Why do you think they'll circle back to Point after failing to get Aho? I think they were told to OS Aho by their agent (Point and Aho) because it was already discussed and Point told his agent he had no interest in signing with Montreal and would not sign an offer sheet. I'm pretty sure Montreal wouldn't waste their time putting another offer sheet together for Point, knowing he's not going to sign it. I don't understand where the fear comes from because it's pretty clear Point told them no from the start.
Also, we could just sign him before it comes to Montreal OS'ing him.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Montreal believed Aho would be the most likely to sign, while Carolina would have the hardest time matching. I don't think that means they know for sure that Point won't sign. I think they know they'll have to press a lot harder to get him though.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Montreal believed Aho would be the most likely to sign, while Carolina would have the hardest time matching. I don't think that means they know for sure that Point won't sign. I think they know they'll have to press a lot harder to get him though.
Kind of like Aho was the lower-hanging fruit type of deal, ya think?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Who is Dzingel even an upgrade over? This past season he was better than Palat but the one prior Palat was better. He was probably on par with Johnson or Gourde this year. Is he better than Joseph, he sure is but is Dzingel at 4mil better than Joseph at 750k? Heck no. This was also a career year for him while Palat had his worst season. He's only a year younger than Palat too, it's not like we are getting a much younger player. If you could convince Palat to waive and get good value for him I would move him but until then we need to hope Palat rebounds. Dzingel is also pretty soft and his playoff numbers are worse than Gourde or Miller.

You know who was a big time star free agent signing last summer? Kovalchuk. Ondrej Palat had the same amount of points as he did this year. You know who's a big forward that people say we should target? Could. Ondrej Palat had the same amount of points as him last year. If our weakest link in the top 6 than we have a damn good top 6. Even at his worst Palat still can produce ok. If he doesn't bounce back then he gets dropped to the 3rd line.

This will be Killorns last year, NTC becomes limited. Palat and Johnson have two seasons left before both are gone, limited NTC and expansion draft. Gourde has three years before his NTC chances so he should be gone then or at least shopped. We will have turnover to this group but it's still another year away but they will be moved eventually. Nobodies even fallen off that bad where we are considering a buyout or having to add to dump them.

really-tell-me-more.gif

You can just say "I didn't actually watch last season and I just like to be contrary to absolutely everyone for everything because that's what I do".

Palat was absolute garbage last season and he was glued to Stamkos, cause he's a Norfolk guy, but please, tell me more about how Cooper will drop him to the third line.

Reactions: JoVel

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
really-tell-me-more.gif

You can just say "I didn't actually watch last season and I just like to be contrary to absolutely everyone for everything because that's what I do".

Palat was absolute garbage last season and he was glued to Stamkos, cause he's a Norfolk guy, but please, tell me more about how Cooper will drop him to the third line.
Well drop palat to the 3rd line after we fire cooper in January

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

If they wanted Point first why not offer sheet him? I bet their agent told them that he wasnt interested in Montreal and a poster even said that he heard on the Montreal radio that Point wasnt interested. Guess we will find out soon. Hope we get him signed before they have a chance to.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Well drop palat to the 3rd line after we fire cooper in January
I don't think JBB has the stones to fire Cooper. Unless there's a catastrophic failure in the playoffs like last season, which would be pretty damn hard to replicate. A sweep wouldn't have been as crushing if they hadn't had one of the best seasons in 20 years. Or if they find themselves out of the playoff picture in March. Cooper is going to keep getting a pass.

Reactions: ultra63

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
If they wanted Point first why not offer sheet him? I bet their agent told them that he wasnt interested in Montreal and a poster even said that he heard on the Montreal radio that Point wasnt interested. Guess we will find out soon. Hope we get him signed before they have a chance to.
It was reported that Point was their target but they felt they had a better chance of getting Aho. There's probably a couple of factors there.

1) Point wants to be in TB
2) The offer for Point to give MTL even a chance at getting him would need to be in the 4 1st rounder bracket, so you're giving up much higher compensation if the deal goes through.

The OS to Aho is extremely low risk for MTL.

I don't get this fear of the OS anyway. He'll sign or he doesn't. People are so sure we match no matter what, so who cares if he gets the OS? Just means we'll pay him more. Our cap is kind of screwed either way, so whatever.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Palat had 8 goals and 34 points in 64 games last season. That's a 10 goals and 44 points pace for 82 games.
The season before he had 11/35 in 56. That's 16/51 in 82.
The season before he had 17/52 75. That's 19/57 in 82.
The season before he had 16/34 in 62. That's 21/53 in 82.

Palat has unfortunately been on a decline for years now. He can't stay healthy and his production steadily decreased from season to season (despite getting top-6 and 1PP minutes). Are we really acting as if Palat will ever bounce back to old form?

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think JBB has the stones to fire Cooper. Unless there's a catastrophic failure in the playoffs like last season, which would be pretty damn hard to replicate. A sweep wouldn't have been as crushing if they hadn't had one of the best seasons in 20 years. Or if they find themselves out of the playoff picture in March. Cooper is going to keep getting a pass.

I think that he doesnt get fired unless a few things happen.

1. Team just doesnt look motivated and lose a bunch of games to start the year. After such high expectations, they would be forced to fire him. Players know this. If they want him gone they will let their play do the talking. How it happens a lot I think.

2. We fail in the playoffs again. I think this is more realistic. Last year our team was so good in the regular season that they lost games that they should have lost. Or rather they sneezed wins :) Despite some changes to the roster, still I think are good enough to do that (on a smaller scale than last year) this year.

3. Miss playoffs - goes without saying.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
It was reported that Point was their target but they felt they had a better chance of getting Aho. There's probably a couple of factors there.

1) Point wants to be in TB
2) The offer for Point to give MTL even a chance at getting him would need to be in the 4 1st rounder bracket, so you're giving up much higher compensation if the deal goes through.

The OS to Aho is extremely low risk for MTL.

I don't get this fear of the OS anyway. He'll sign or he doesn't. People are so sure we match no matter what, so who cares if he gets the OS? Just means we'll pay him more. Our cap is kind of screwed either way, so whatever.
Personally, if an offer sheet got to that level, I would be fine taking the four 1st round picks. I know some disagree with that but I just feel it can get to a point where it's just too expensive for one player.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wonder if the hurricanes will offer sheet max domi next summer say offer him 8.4 avv and force Montreal to pay it ?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I wonder if the hurricanes will offer sheet max domi next summer say offer him 8.4 avv and force Montreal to pay it ?
I think MTL would let him go for that. He's not worth that much at all. They could find themselves in a bad spot. That's why the OS is so rare. It's not easy to offer a deal that makes sense for team AND player that handcuffs the other team AND have the player sign it. You can go wild and offer some crazy $$$, but then you risk being stuck with that player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad