Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Let's just see what happens with Point first. If he takes a little less and does this this week then I could see us get into some UFA or trade discussions. Nothing crazy but something to add to the team. I'm sure that is the ideal situation but it all hinges on what we get done with Point.

Reactions: Crabby Williams

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Where the problems come into effect is that the implicit promise of BPA drafting is that trades will be made to address roster needs. We have the picks pan out and then they're too important or difficult to trade.

I don't necessarily need the guy to pull a Sam Pollock but rather recognize that we have been patient with this group for 5 years. The 2016-2017 season was probably the biggest missed opportunity this team ever had. But it didn't take a rocket scientist to realize guys like Filppula, Namestnikov
and the KFC line has ZERO business occupying top minutes and that was with the likes of Carle and Sustr eating 20 minutes a night combined. That turnover we saw for missing the playoffs needed to happen after losing to Pittsburgh. Keep Bishop of course... But it's the reason I spent idk how much ungodly amount of time defending Cooper back in the day because I could see for myself it was players vs execution. We didn't make change until FORCED to. No we have the opposite. A 62 win team that gets squeamish in the playoffs.

I'm not trying to say I'm smarter than our GM's. It's simply a matter of stop waiting so long for the obvious to play itself out. What's obvious now is that Palat hasn't been right in years, we never needed to take Miller to begin with and the Stamkos/Cooper relationship does not yield championships. And yet we're gonna sit around and wait to see what we already know. Use your foresight

We've BEEN patient.... For 5 years now. The clock didn't reset just because JBB took over and is only in year 2. Either strip Stamkos if captaincy or fire Cooper. There IS no other choice here. I'll go on record as in favor of the former because idk who is gonna be an UPGRADE from Cooper instead of lateral or a lesser hire. Maybe Todd Richards? And if not now, then come TDL Palat needs to get his ass packing if he's hurt again or just doing nothing as usual.

We can change our roster independent or free agent rules and who we draft and we don't need to wait to do it

Reactions: T REX

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Why the **** are people putting rutta on the top pairing
Because Cernak played almost exclusively with McDonagh as a pair last year, and Sergachev has played mostly with Coburn the past 2 seasons. Hopefully it's just a placeholder for now and Rutta becomes a #7 or #8.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
At this point I'm just starting to accept that its our next core that can hopefully bring us to glory (Point, Foote, Serg, Vasi still kicking) cause this one can't get the job done under the bright lights

Reactions: ultra63

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Why would you not upgrade on Ruuta using the 5.8 million from Callahan?
Any upgrade will be a one year deal if they can find one. My guess Dan Girardi will get a year. He falls off next year when that 5.8 goes to Vasi. Hopefully by then Cernak is solid and Cal Foot is ready to step in on that third pair. Its logical Gives Foote his needed year in the AHL and his ELC helps out another year with the Cap.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
@HoseEmDown @Werewolf @RetiredSquid Do you guys see Masin passing Rutta on the depth chart early, or at all? Seems like Cooper like Rutta tho, giving him a regular spot in the playoffs.

No because Masin plays the left side and Rutta the right. We're much more in need of RD.

Edit: Even with the emergence of Cernak were short with the likely departure of Girardi & Stralman.

I guess if they assign Coburn or Serg to RD and leave them there it fills a hole, but it seems like they play them there because they need to but move them back to LD when possible.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Because I really don't want to use that Callahan money unless we absolutely have to. It limits our ability to make moves in season, makes our space at the deadline minimal and we could potentially carry bonus dead space next year. We need to operate like that space isn't available to us which means promoting from within rather than seek out a trade or hit free agency. Plus we did really well last year with a similar lineup that had Ruuta in it a quarter of the year. I think he can be servicable next year with a full camp to get the system and build chemistry with a partner. I will explore trade options but they'd have to be cap neutral or we gain a little space. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Erne for a similar aged D who needs a chance, maybe a Honka type.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Because I really don't want to use that Callahan money unless we absolutely have to. It limits our ability to make moves in season, makes our space at the deadline minimal and we could potentially carry bonus dead space next year. We need to operate like that space isn't available to us which means promoting from within rather than seek out a trade or hit free agency. Plus we did really well last year with a similar lineup that had Ruuta in it a quarter of the year. I think he can be servicable next year with a full camp to get the system and build chemistry with a partner. I will explore trade options but they'd have to be cap neutral or we gain a little space. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Erne for a similar aged D who needs a chance, maybe a Honka type.

It's very possible that we are brushing the cap anyways and that rolls into next year. If we are close to the cap, we need to go ahead and use up the leverage from Callahans contract

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't necessarily need the guy to pull a Sam Pollock but rather recognize that we have been patient with this group for 5 years. The 2016-2017 season was probably the biggest missed opportunity this team ever had. But it didn't take a rocket scientist to realize guys like Filppula, Namestnikov
and the KFC line has ZERO business occupying top minutes and that was with the likes of Carle and Sustr eating 20 minutes a night combined. That turnover we saw for missing the playoffs needed to happen after losing to Pittsburgh. Keep Bishop of course... But it's the reason I spent idk how much ungodly amount of time defending Cooper back in the day because I could see for myself it was players vs execution. We didn't make change until FORCED to. No we have the opposite. A 62 win team that gets squeamish in the playoffs.

I'm not trying to say I'm smarter than our GM's. It's simply a matter of stop waiting so long for the obvious to play itself out. What's obvious now is that Palat hasn't been right in years, we never needed to take Miller to begin with and the Stamkos/Cooper relationship does not yield championships. And yet we're gonna sit around and wait to see what we already know. Use your foresight

We've BEEN patient.... For 5 years now. The clock didn't reset just because JBB took over and is only in year 2. Either strip Stamkos if captaincy or fire Cooper. There IS no other choice here. I'll go on record as in favor of the former because idk who is gonna be an UPGRADE from Cooper instead of lateral or a lesser hire. Maybe Todd Richards? And if not now, then come TDL Palat needs to get his ass packing if he's hurt again or just doing nothing as usual.

We can change our roster independent or free agent rules and who we draft and we don't need to wait to do it

I really don't think the C means a whole lot in terms of who's a leader and who's not. Guys without the C can still be team leaders, or even THE team leader. But stripping the C could do a lot of harm because you're publicly embarrassing somebody.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Johnson - Point - Kucherov
Palat - Stamkos - Gourde
Killorn - Cirelli - Joseph
Martel - Paquette - Erne

Hedman - Ruuta
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

Vasilevskiy
Domingue

We have 10.6 in space, not including Callahan, to sign four RFA's and bring up Volkov, Verheaghe and Masin. Where is the money for a Risto or Perry or the spot for them? Yes Risto should play above Ruuta but I have no interest in another 5+ mil player unless we are trading one. Not sure a Gourde for Risto deal works so there's no way we can bring him in. Perry shouldn't be pushing Joseph out of the top 9. Volkov, Verheaghe and even Stephens should be getting a look in the bottom 6 this year before any free agents. Our lineup is set and is just as good as last year's, no need to add too it besides some prospects.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So we have 10mill in cap space but that doesn't include the Cally relief does it?
We can go 5.8 million over the cap at most but then our entry level contract bonuses will have to roll over to count on the cap in the 2020-2021 season which may be a issue when you have to pay Vasilevskiy, sergachev, cernak, Joseph and Cirelli new deals

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Any upgrade will be a one year deal if they can find one. My guess Dan Girardi will get a year. He falls off next year when that 5.8 goes to Vasi. Hopefully by then Cernak is solid and Cal Foot is ready to step in on that third pair. Its logical Gives Foote his needed year in the AHL and his ELC helps out another year with the Cap.
I get the feeling they might do girardi on a one year deal to come back

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I really don't think the C means a whole lot in terms of who's a leader and who's not. Guys without the C can still be team leaders, or even THE team leader. But stripping the C could do a lot of harm because you're publicly embarrassing somebody.

You're absolutely right about all that but the problem is that we aren't sending any other message to the locker room except that we ran out of cap space. We won't trade any core players, we won't fire the coach. The sweep and choking away that 3-0 lead how we did was public embarrassment. Removal of captaincy is basically all that's left to culture shock the locker room.

I'm not feeling any urgency or even remorse. I get not over reacting. I get not making changes for the sake of doing so. But in the great race we can't go hoping the hare is gonna take a nap because we think our tortoise style "keep it steady" mentality is gonna finally yield a win after 5 playoff runs in 6 years falling short of a Cup.

I just don't think Stamkos has the stomach to lead us the way and if I'm wrong then Todd Richards should be our coach today

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
If I was a betting man I would say the DEFENCE is the point of upgrade this summer.

Rutta and or Coburn for this year will be the number 7.

The question is who is available? Maybe it will be Stralman?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You're absolutely right about all that but the problem is that we aren't sending any other message to the locker room except that we ran out of cap space. We won't trade any core players, we won't fire the coach. The sweep and choking away that 3-0 lead how we did was public embarrassment. Removal of captaincy is basically all that's left to culture shock the locker room.

I'm not feeling any urgency or even remorse. I get not over reacting. I get not making changes for the sake of doing so. But in the great race we can't go hoping the hare is gonna take a nap because we think our tortoise style "keep it steady" mentality is gonna finally yield a win after 5 playoff runs in 6 years falling short of a Cup.

I just don't think Stamkos has the stomach to lead us the way and if I'm wrong then Todd Richards should be our coach today

Stamkos may or may not be a great leader. Whether or not he wears the C has nothing to do with that.

I think it's too early to judge the fall roster just yet. Let's wait to see if news breaks about us talking with any free agents. And it wouldn't be shocking if we circle back on Risto. There are still a lot of pieces left to fall this off-season, and we might be a little more involved than JBB is going to admit.

Just saying. If we were actually serious about looking into Karlsson, then our hands aren't quite as tied as we're pretending they are now that Karlsson's off the table. I wouldn't be surprised if we clear a touch more cap between now and July 1, or maybe make a hockey deal.

I wasn't happy that we went through Round 1 with Miller still on the roster. But then when you look at the deal we got for him, I think it beat every single one of our expectations. So let's see what JBB actually does over the course of the summer before we vilify him for sitting on his hands.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I get the feeling they might do girardi on a one year deal to come back

For league minimum? We are paying Ruuta 1.3 this year. For a team that is cap strapped we can't be paying 1.3 for a 7th D. We can send him to Syracuse but we carry a 300-400k dead cap and have to replace them so no real savings at all. Our top 6 seems all but set, I expect Masin, Guance and Foote will get the 7th spot. I don't think it'll be Foote either because he'll have the highest caphit and a chance for bonuses which neither Masin or Gaunce will. I also think we might just run a 21-22 man roster if we can't move the Callahan contract to keep costs as low as possible.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
For league minimum? We are paying Ruuta 1.3 this year. For a team that is cap strapped we can't be paying 1.3 for a 7th D. We can send him to Syracuse but we carry a 300-400k dead cap and have to replace them so no real savings at all. Our top 6 seems all but set, I expect Masin, Guance and Foote will get the 7th spot. I don't think it'll be Foote either because he'll have the highest caphit and a chance for bonuses which neither Masin or Gaunce will. I also think we might just run a 21-22 man roster if we can't move the Callahan contract to keep costs as low as possible.
Ya but girardi is still better then rutta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad