Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So In the offseason we can go to 87.3 million? From what I understand there is limit to our call ups then ? And the next season all the bonus money of 1.36 million rolls over ?

Any performance bonus they earn will roll over. We can get around that by trading someone mid season that drops us below.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Lmao. I love everyone in the Vancouver thread trying to dump on them by comparing Miller to Marleau, as if the two situations are remotely similar.

One is a guy that has publicly said he will only play in SJ. Carries a $6M caphit and has a NMC. He is also done. Of course you're going to pay to offload that. The other is a legit 2nd liner, signed to a whatever contract and only needed to be moved to free up cap.

This site is so unbelievably idiotic sometimes.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
For my own sanity, I want to see us make one more move and get the PMD. If it's Risto so be it, he can shoot. I can deal with the same forwards. They're great players. The problem is you can't win in the playoffs with 3 attackers against 5. We need to change the makeup of our blueline. Keep in mind to all. Our problem is just as much the roster makeup of our team as it is Cooper getting them going and being prepared for playoff hockey. Remember.... Coop had us playing out of our minds against Detroit and we barely pulled it off. We can change coaches or Cooper can have us ready to skate through a brick wall and it's not gonna change our execution against Dead Puck Hockey. It's not gonna teach Hedman to not shoot wide on every 9 out of 10 shots. It's not gonna make us cycle better. It's not gonna make better rebounds.

We have fantastic defenders but they are not good at generating offense. Unless Sergachev is ready for 28 minutes a night in the playoffs we're gonna struggle. Please JBB.... you have to address the need. And if you get around to sobering up think about a coaching change

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Would also be down/interested in seeing if we could get a Risto trade going, but maybe management thinks Foot will play this year and fill the RD gap we have, unless they resign Stralman since we should have a little bit left after signing Point.

I guess in the end the main priority was to extend Point and now we can. Idk what money is off the books next year for Vasi but that's next years problem

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I would rather move on from Stralman. His decline has shown the last two seasons and he's getting banged up. If its a one year deal that would be fine but nothing more. He really isn't contributing much for what he cost. Cernak is already above him on the depth chart for me. We don't need him on the 3rd pairing either.

Bring in Ristolainen. At least the guy isn't afraid to stir it up and can actually shoot.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
It just dawned on me. We are losing Miller, Callahan, and Stralman this offseason. The great Ranger exodus has begun.

If Stralman will stay cheap, then he can stay. But if he thinks he is worth big $$$$ as an often injured D-man, uh, he can leave.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think that Miller trade was the only thing we see this offseason aside from resigning players we already had.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That would be ****ing stupid.

Sadly it's what we do. For some reason management is hell-bent on making moves only when forced to. Otherwise I think we'd go years with nothing more than AHL promotions and the rare free agent.

If Dotchin didn't shit the bed McDonagh would probably be somewhere else.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I thought it was 50-50 that we would even trade Miller, but now that we have, we've got some extra cap space to go after someone on a cheap 1 year deal.

I believe Killorn can be traded next offseason, so we aren't in a bad spot either if we want to go get someone on a longer term deal. I think if we can sign Point and Vasy and have a good understanding of what we are looking in 2021, we could definitely do that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I thought it was 50-50 that we would even trade Miller, but now that we have, we've got some extra cap space to go after someone on a cheap 1 year deal.

I believe Killorn can be traded next offseason, so we aren't in a bad spot either if we want to go get someone on a longer term deal. I think if we can sign Point and Vasy and have a good understanding of what we are looking in 2021, we could definitely do that.

To be fair I want to keep Killorn. Cooper trooper or not the man is money in the playoffs. Johnson too. They might have been the only bright spot in those 4 games vs CBJ. If Palat can't pull it together or Gourde putters out in the playoffs again then a trade has my attention.

Miller was just the easy choice because he's the one who got buried in the lineup

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Johnson - Point - Kucherov
Palat - Stamkos - Gourde
Killorn - Cirelli - Joseph
Martel - Paquette - Erne

Hedman - Ruuta
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

Vasilevskiy
Domingue

We have 10.6 in space, not including Callahan, to sign four RFA's and bring up Volkov, Verheaghe and Masin. Where is the money for a Risto or Perry or the spot for them? Yes Risto should play above Ruuta but I have no interest in another 5+ mil player unless we are trading one. Not sure a Gourde for Risto deal works so there's no way we can bring him in. Perry shouldn't be pushing Joseph out of the top 9. Volkov, Verheaghe and even Stephens should be getting a look in the bottom 6 this year before any free agents. Our lineup is set and is just as good as last year's, no need to add too it besides some prospects.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Sadly it's what we do. For some reason management is hell-bent on making moves only when forced to. Otherwise I think we'd go years with nothing more than AHL promotions and the rare free agent.

If Dotchin didn't **** the bed McDonagh would probably be somewhere else.
Where the problems come into effect is that the implicit promise of BPA drafting is that trades will be made to address roster needs. We have the picks pan out and then they're too important or difficult to trade.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Johnson - Point - Kucherov
Palat - Stamkos - Gourde
Killorn - Cirelli - Joseph
Martel - Paquette - Erne

Hedman - Ruuta
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

Vasilevskiy
Domingue

We have 10.6 in space, not including Callahan, to sign four RFA's and bring up Volkov, Verheaghe and Masin. Where is the money for a Risto or Perry or the spot for them? Yes Risto should play above Ruuta but I have no interest in another 5+ mil player unless we are trading one. Not sure a Gourde for Risto deal works so there's no way we can bring him in. Perry shouldn't be pushing Joseph out of the top 9. Volkov, Verheaghe and even Stephens should be getting a look in the bottom 6 this year before any free agents. Our lineup is set and is just as good as last year's, no need to add too it besides some prospects.

Why would you not upgrade on Ruuta using the 5.8 million from Callahan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad