Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So in essence we're going to see the same team like last season minus Callahan, Miller, Stralman, Girardi.
Point and Paquette should be returning, maybe even Erne.

But does that make us better? Whoelse from outside the org should they target?

On F size should be an issue. We get again linked to Simmonds who does not want to return to Nashville apparently.
Perry, Maroon, Brouwer or Boyle are UFA and bring size and physicality.
Could Nolan Foote make the jump to our 3rd or 4th line? He has the size, possibly lacks the skating though.

On D we have six NHL defenders under contract plus Gaunce, Masin, Wilcott and Cal Foote as possible call-ups.

What's wrong with the lineup from last year? They did set all kinds of records. We should be better by just having guys like Cirelli, Joseph and Cernak taking another step. Maybe Palat bounces back and Gourde a little too. Sergachev could still finally put it together and be a stud.

Why do we really need size? Paquette and Erne were two of the highest hitters in the entire league. Joseph had a pretty high hit number, Cernak was off the charts last year. We have Volkov in Syracuse who is over 6' and isn't afraid to use the body, Stephens is more like Joseph and Cirelli size wise but will hit. We don't need a 4th liner when we have kids with actual upside waiting their turn. Foote needs to go back to junior, his offensive game and skating could use it and Kelowna is hosting the Memorial Cup so a big chance for him to shine.

On D it should be between Masin and Guance as the 7th as they are much cheaper than Foote. Guance can sit and be fine, Masin needs to play so best be goes down but waivers may keep him up. To me the roster is finished it's just up to which two or three kids win theast spots.

Reactions: J T Money

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I just worry that Masin could be picked up off waivers. He wouldn't be but the 7th D working hard in practice and getting the occasional game here or there. But he hasn't played an NHL game yet so teams might let him pass through. He was a high 2nd so teams might also take a chance. I know Guance will get through. It would be best for Masin to be in Syracuse but I rather not lose him, I have him as Coburns successor.

Masin is entering his fourth full season with the Crunch. I am not sure how much more the organization can offer him in opportunities or development that will bring his play level to what it should be. He may be one of those players who you have high hopes for at the draft but just do not work out within the system that your organization has its players play. We know what we are getting with Masin, do we continue to hope he figures it out or does the organization accept what it has and gives others the opportunity to grow and bloom into the player we had hoped Masin would be? He would not be the first, nor the last, high round draft choice who was claimed and then blossomed under a different style while opening up minutes for another prospect to shine. Giving his minutes to a third year pro like Thomas might be what helps Thomas take the next step or we could very well be having this same conversation next year about him.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Masin is entering his fourth full season with the Crunch. I am not sure how much more the organization can offer him in opportunities or development that will bring his play level to what it should be. He may be one of those players who you have high hopes for at the draft but just do not work out within the system that your organization has its players play. We know what we are getting with Masin, do we continue to hope he figures it out or does the organization accept what it has and gives others the opportunity to grow and bloom into the player we had hoped Masin would be? He would not be the first, nor the last, high round draft choice who was claimed and then blossomed under a different style while opening up minutes for another prospect to shine. Giving his minutes to a third year pro like Thomas might be what helps Thomas take the next step or we could very well be having this same conversation next year about him.
Masin is 23. He'll be 24 in February. This year and next will likely be the determining seasons for establishing himself full time at his highest level of play.

Given the prospect depth, Masin could reasonably get another full season and then get traded next off-season with the possible signing of Semykin (if we're limiting it to LHD).

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
What's wrong with the lineup from last year? They did set all kinds of records. We should be better by just having guys like Cirelli, Joseph and Cernak taking another step. Maybe Palat bounces back and Gourde a little too. Sergachev could still finally put it together and be a stud.

Why do we really need size? Paquette and Erne were two of the highest hitters in the entire league. Joseph had a pretty high hit number, Cernak was off the charts last year. We have Volkov in Syracuse who is over 6' and isn't afraid to use the body, Stephens is more like Joseph and Cirelli size wise but will hit. We don't need a 4th liner when we have kids with actual upside waiting their turn. Foote needs to go back to junior, his offensive game and skating could use it and Kelowna is hosting the Memorial Cup so a big chance for him to shine.

On D it should be between Masin and Guance as the 7th as they are much cheaper than Foote. Guance can sit and be fine, Masin needs to play so best be goes down but waivers may keep him up. To me the roster is finished it's just up to which two or three kids win theast spots.

This post is full of denial. Wow. All kinds of records? Who cares...what did they do when it mattered most? They turtled. Not even a mention to move in a different direction behind the bench to help our same team that turtled last year. Nothing but status quo.

The above is the EXACT DEFINITION OF INSANITY.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I see people still think having a high # of hits is the same as having effective hits.

No one in the league is worried about getting hit by Adam Erne or Yanni Gourde. Paquette can throw a decent hit in the right situation, but no one is gonna be super worried about him, either.

There's not one player in this league that's going to be worried about carrying the puck into the zone against TB because if the worst thing they have to do is take a hit from Adam Erne to set up a play, they're gonna take it 10 out of 10 times.

Tampa needs someone who can actually make an impact with their size and physicality.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I see people still think having a high # of hits is the same as having effective hits.

No one in the league is worried about getting hit by Adam Erne or Yanni Gourde. Paquette can throw a decent hit in the right situation, but no one is gonna be super worried about him, either.

There's not one player in this league that's going to be worried about carrying the puck into the zone against TB because if the worst thing they have to do is take a hit from Adam Erne to set up a play, they're gonna take it 10 out of 10 times.

Tampa needs someone who can actually make an impact with their size and physicality.
Well actually:

:sarcasm:

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Ristolinen (can't be bothered to look up the spelling) would be an interesting choice. Cap hit is a bit worrisome but what if we traded Vancouver's pick and got buffalo to retain 25% and simply moved Cernak up?

Hedman - Cernak
McD - Risto
Coburn - Sergachev

Dunno how that would work but, it might help with the physicality and offense needed to get through a trap.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy

I've appreciated your post. In particular when you've said that our young guys like Cirelli, Joseph and Cernak need to improve.
In particular they need to play to increase their experience.
For this reason, during the off season I'll acquire maybe only 1 guys from the free agents world...a guy who can bring to Tampa that experience that is very useful in the post season.
Consider that last season our roster was amazing without any doubt, but, neither in the roster not in the coaching staff, we've not anyone who has won the Cup before.
So I'll try to eliminate, in this off season, this lack. (The beautiful, amazing and spectacular 2004 team needed Darryl Sydor, a former Cup winner in Dallas, to complete the process...)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Gourde I'll give you, and even Joseph, but Erne hits hard.

I think the issue is more we need somebody in the top-six who can do that, thus facilitating plays/room for the stars. Palat used to do it, but was never a huge hitter. But he could hold his own physically while TJ and Kuch whipped around the zone.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I really wish we would have dealt Gourde or Killorn or Palat over Miller.
Miller threw like 4 hard hits in his entire time here. I wouldn't have minded moving gourde over him, just for the identity facelift, but miller's really not a physical beast out there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ristolinen (can't be bothered to look up the spelling) would be an interesting choice. Cap hit is a bit worrisome but what if we traded Vancouver's pick and got buffalo to retain 25% and simply moved Cernak up?

Hedman - Cernak
McD - Risto
Coburn - Sergachev

Dunno how that would work but, it might help with the physicality and offense needed to get through a trap.
I think we'd be looking at gourde. Money for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->