Speculation: 2019 Off-Season Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
For league minimum? We are paying Ruuta 1.3 this year. For a team that is cap strapped we can't be paying 1.3 for a 7th D. We can send him to Syracuse but we carry a 300-400k dead cap and have to replace them so no real savings at all. Our top 6 seems all but set, I expect Masin, Guance and Foote will get the 7th spot. I don't think it'll be Foote either because he'll have the highest caphit and a chance for bonuses which neither Masin or Gaunce will. I also think we might just run a 21-22 man roster if we can't move the Callahan contract to keep costs as low as possible.
Callahan should be easy to move now for a team that wants to get to the cap floor like a Ottawa team and insurance pays most of the contract

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Callahan should be easy to move now for a team that wants to get to the cap floor like a Ottawa team and insurance pays most of the contract

Do you know if the contract is insured and how much is covered? Callahan wasn't young or a pucpict of health before he signed that last deal so not sure how insured it may have been. If it is insured to the max and we only have to pay the 10% then yes I can see him being moveable with just a 470k cash commitment. We can easily take back a guy on a one way deal who will be sent to the minors, kinda like Conacher for us.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Anders Lee probably going to hit FA. Wouldn't mind taking a look. Would be a lock for 20+ EV goals in TB. Big body. Will probably command 7 though if that's what Hayes got.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Do you know if the contract is insured and how much is covered? Callahan wasn't young or a pucpict of health before he signed that last deal so not sure how insured it may have been. If it is insured to the max and we only have to pay the 10% then yes I can see him being moveable with just a 470k cash commitment. We can easily take back a guy on a one way deal who will be sent to the minors, kinda like Conacher for us.
Ya I heard 80 percent insurance

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Good return for Miller but we traded one of the rare forwards who brought any semblance of physicality. Too bad we couldn't have dumped Killorn, I liked Miller much better.

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
i got a question. is stralman washed? or would he be a good pickup at around 4mil per, short term.

Noticed that he missed half the year. Have injuries made his play worse?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
i got a question. is stralman washed? or would he be a good pickup at around 4mil per, short term.

Noticed that he missed half the year. Have injuries made his play worse?

He's very visibly lost a step. I think he's a 4-5 now vs a 2. Not sure he's worth $4M, but someone will pay it.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
For league minimum? We are paying Ruuta 1.3 this year. For a team that is cap strapped we can't be paying 1.3 for a 7th D. We can send him to Syracuse but we carry a 300-400k dead cap and have to replace them so no real savings at all. Our top 6 seems all but set, I expect Masin, Guance and Foote will get the 7th spot. I don't think it'll be Foote either because he'll have the highest caphit and a chance for bonuses which neither Masin or Gaunce will. I also think we might just run a 21-22 man roster if we can't move the Callahan contract to keep costs as low as possible.

Going to tweek a few folks (what else is new) but Masin is NOT ready for the NHL. He still needs to work on his game in and game out consistent level of play at the AHL level. He is a callup option but needs another season of primarily AHL top four minutes to develop or he can continue to stay at his current level to prove to the team he needs to be let go. Gaunce is the best bet for that spot, in fact I have him already penciled in making the team for cap purposes if nothing else.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Going to tweek a few folks (what else is new) but Masin is NOT ready for the NHL. He still needs to work on his game in and game out consistent level of play at the AHL level. He is a callup option but needs another season of primarily AHL top four minutes to develop or he can continue to stay at his current level to prove to the team he needs to be let go. Gaunce is the best bet for that spot, in fact I have him already penciled in making the team for cap purposes if nothing else.

I just worry that Masin could be picked up off waivers. He wouldn't be but the 7th D working hard in practice and getting the occasional game here or there. But he hasn't played an NHL game yet so teams might let him pass through. He was a high 2nd so teams might also take a chance. I know Guance will get through. It would be best for Masin to be in Syracuse but I rather not lose him, I have him as Coburns successor.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So have we given teams permission to do that, or? I was under the impression teams couldn’t do that to someone under contract until their contract expired.

Unless the team he’s under contract with has given permission.

Starting today pending free agents are allowed to talk to other teams.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So have we given teams permission to do that, or? I was under the impression teams couldn’t do that to someone under contract until their contract expired.

Unless the team he’s under contract with has given permission.
The current CBA has an 'interview window'. It's a pretty good thing that teams and impending UFAs can talk over the course of a week instead of July 1st rolling around and everyone panicking.

How NHL 'interview period' improves free agency - Sportsnet.ca

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
Good return for Miller but like a couple others said, we’re losing a bigger bodies forward at a time when we need them. Miller has a very good shot release but he just refused to use it for some reason. Also didn’t help that Cooper mismanaged his ice time.

I would have preferred to move Palat or killorn or gourde. I’m getting tired of the Cooper favoritism towards his Crunch/Norfolk boys & quite honestly it’s a big reason for the complacent attitude of this group.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Was never a fan of JT. Big body, big shot didn't show up when the chips were down two years running. I think his play was emblematic, more so than any other player, of our playoff no-show.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So in essence we're going to see the same team like last season minus Callahan, Miller, Stralman, Girardi.
Point and Paquette should be returning, maybe even Erne.

But does that make us better? Whoelse from outside the org should they target?

On F size should be an issue. We get again linked to Simmonds who does not want to return to Nashville apparently.
Perry, Maroon, Brouwer or Boyle are UFA and bring size and physicality.
Could Nolan Foote make the jump to our 3rd or 4th line? He has the size, possibly lacks the skating though.

On D we have six NHL defenders under contract plus Gaunce, Masin, Wilcott and Cal Foote as possible call-ups.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I want us to get a stay-at-home veteran d-man to play with Hedman. Sergachev is not ideal for a top 4 role yet and I want to see Rutta as little as possible in the lineup.

Hedman - X
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev
Rutta

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I want us to get a stay-at-home veteran d-man to play with Hedman. Sergachev is not ideal for a top 4 role yet and I want to see Rutta as little as possible in the lineup.

Hedman - X
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev
Rutta
The UFA market for RHD isn't exactly breathtaking: Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I mean, sure, Sustr is available, but that's a pipe dream.

Which means we'd have to trade someone, possibly one of Palat, Johnson, Gourde - who we'd need to replace as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad