Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I kind of like the lines that Morin just threw up in his latest article. Just his predictions for the opening night roster. He has...

Crouse-Stepan-Kessel
Dvorak-Schmaltz-Keller
Grabner-Richardson-Hinostroza
Hayton-Soderberg-Garland

This actually might end up being it if Hayton makes the team. We know Toc likes the pairs system with his lines and Stepan and Crouse were a pair last year. I actually kind of like Kessel with them. Line two Dvo can take the draws and then Schmaltz can play from the middle the rest of the time.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
He’s 205 lbs and his hockey IQ is elite. He will take some time to adjust, as all 19 yr olds do.

I have a hard time believing he’s 205. His IQ certainly wasn’t on display st the world juniors. In fact he looked to be a step or two behind.

However, if he does make the team I sure as hell hope he pans out better than mueller.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I have a hard time believing he’s 205. His IQ certainly wasn’t on display st the world juniors. In fact he looked to be a step or two behind.

However, if he does make the team I sure as hell hope he pans out better than mueller.
Hockey db and the Greyhounds list him at 191 lbs.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Latest THN podcast had a q&a session where they were asked who the worst hockey dad is in the NHL. Answer? Tie Domi who has a reputation for grating on the coaches.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How did Josh Archibald look for u guys last year
Nobody works harder. When Rick Tocchet arrived in Phoenix, he found he was disgusted by how the team practiced (maybe not a good sign for the way Dave Tippett runs things? Who knows?) so he asked Chayka to trade for Archibald so he could literally show the team how a player is supposed to practice. Haha.

He rises to the occasion too. He scored some big goals for the Coyotes down the stretch when they were fighting for a wild card spot.

He’s small and he’s not really good at any one thing, but damn the guy works his ass off. Every single shift. Every single practice.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I kind of like the lines that Morin just threw up in his latest article. Just his predictions for the opening night roster. He has...

Crouse-Stepan-Kessel
Dvorak-Schmaltz-Keller
Hayton-Soderberg-Garland

This actually might end up being it if Hayton makes the team. We know Toc likes the pairs system with his lines and Stepan and Crouse were a pair last year. I actually kind of like Kessel with them. Line two Dvo can take the draws and then Schmaltz can play from the middle the rest of the time.
That's actually not terrible. I'd like to switch yeti and Richie though. And of course send Hayton to juniors if he can't beat Richie for a center spot, but that ain't happening.

Reactions: RemoAZ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Dvo should center that line too. No reason to have Schmaltz push Dvo to the wing.
Schmaltz should not be a center, and there's really no reason for any of Kessel, Keller, or Schmaltz to play together even strength. I'm resigned to having Hayton on the team, but I hope they play him at C.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Latest THN podcast had a q&a session where they were asked who the worst hockey dad is in the NHL. Answer? Tie Domi who has a reputation for grating on the coaches.

Can't remember where I heard it but there was a story that Tie was pestering Tocchet with line combination ideas.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Crouse-Stepan-Kessel
Dvorak-Schmaltz-Keller
Hayton-Soderberg-Garland

I'm not a fan of Dvo on the wing, but I also wonder if he and Schmaltz played on the same line with the Chicago Mission U16 team. Maybe there's some chemistry.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I'm not a fan of Dvo on the wing, but I also wonder if he and Schmaltz played on the same line with the Chicago Mission U16 team. Maybe there's some chemistry.

A lot of people seem to not be a fan of Dvo on the wing, which I get, but think of it this way...Dvo takes most of the draws - maybe Schmaltz takes some on his strong side. In Toc’s system the first man back is “the low man,” so it doesn’t necessarily mean that Schmaltz is going to be a liability in the defensive zone if he is playing through the middle of the ice during regular play...I don’t remember any huge mistakes defensively from him last year in the 17 games he played either. Nothing that made me say, “wow this guy can’t play center, he’s lost in the D zone..”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad