Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
100% yes on Kessel. It makes our team better now. If we start making the playoffs we can justify a bigger budget with our rich new owner. We can lure more fans, which will increase revenue. Which will make an arena more attractive to the Indian Tribe. Which would make our dreams come true. Dominoes folks, it just takes one to fall.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'll pass on Kessel. Not a good fit IMO. Athletes in their 30s have a chance at continuing to perform if they are dedicated to off season prep. Is he? Eight teams are on his pre-approved trade list. What are the odds AZ is one of them?

Reactions: hbk

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'll pass on Kessel. Not a good fit IMO. Athletes in their 30s have a chance at continuing to perform if they are dedicated to off season prep. Is he? Eight teams are on his pre-approved trade list. What are the odds AZ is one of them?
Actually pretty high if you buy all the RT Phil whisperer stuff. Also he doesn't need to cup chase so that helps. I'd love for him to be a Yote but not at the expense of any A assets.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
I feel like if a Kessel trade were to happen, it would happen closer to the start of camp. Mid to late August.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Actually pretty high if you buy all the RT Phil whisperer stuff. Also he doesn't need to cup chase so that helps. I'd love for him to be a Yote but not at the expense of any A assets.

I hadn't considered that he might have a man-crush on RT.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Craig Morgan answered questions in his monthly mailbag segment yesterday. Highlights:

- Sees the Coyotes still being a player in free agency, just probably not in on any big name heavily expensive players. Maybe Dzingel. (My take, if you haven't dismissed the Duchene idea yet please do now. Doesnt even sound like we invited him to a tour like Montreal and Nashville have.)

- Said he could see the Coyotes being in on Dzingel but hasn't heard that.

- Says he has heard that we were at least interested in Kreider at one point.

- Says Chayka keeps insisting that he has room to make some moves, even though we are sniffing the cap.

- Says Kessel seems like a longshot to him but only because Pittsburgh wants a hockey trade for him, rather than a package of lesser goods. Says he could easily see us being interested in Kessel and that the feeling is probably reciprocated by Kessel. Obviously it could happen if Pittsburgh changes it's mind. (My take, why not initiate a 3-way trade with Minnesota? Since there was already a trade agreed to around Zucker but nixed by Phil, see if Minny has interest in a package deal, get Zucker to the Pens, Fischer and friends to the Wild and grab Kessel.)

- Not to throw this thread off the rails, but still hearing nothing but positive things about the Coyotes sale to Meruelo. Nothing on the arena yet but there are many connected sources that believe it will get done.

- Scott Allen door still not closed, even though Craig feels it's unlikely he will return. That's just his feeling, but i think we can all agree. Once he gets more clarity, he will share.

- Insisted he believes Chayka has "one more move" coming soon. Said that a few times. He does not believe Soderberg was the sole transaction.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Craig Morgan answered questions in his monthly mailbag segment yesterday. Highlights:

- Sees the Coyotes still being a player in free agency, just probably not in on any big name heavily expensive players. Maybe Dzingel. (My take, if you haven't dismissed the Duchene idea yet please do now. Doesnt even sound like we invited him to a tour like Montreal and Nashville have.)

- Said he could see the Coyotes being in on Dzingel but hasn't heard that.

- Says he has heard that we were at least interested in Kreider at one point.

- Says Chayka keeps insisting that he has room to make some moves, even though we are sniffing the cap.

- Says Kessel seems like a longshot to him but only because Pittsburgh wants a hockey trade for him, rather than a package of lesser goods. Says he could easily see us being interested in Kessel and that the feeling is probably reciprocated by Kessel. Obviously it could happen if Pittsburgh changes it's mind. (My take, why not initiate a 3-way trade with Minnesota? Since there was already a trade agreed to around Zucker but nixed by Phil, see if Minny has interest in a package deal, get Zucker to the Pens, Fischer and friends to the Wild and grab Kessel.

- Not to throw this thread off the rails, but still hearing nothing but positive things about the Coyotes sale to Meruelo. Nothing on the arena yet but there are many connected sources that believe it will get done.

- Scott Allen door still not closed, even though Craig feels it's unlikely he will return. That's just his feeling, but i think we can all agree. Once he gets more clarity, he will share.

- Insisted he believes Chayka has "one more move" coming soon. He does not believe Soderberg was the sole transaction.
I'm fairly confident that had the trade for Soderstrom not transpired that we would have traded 14OV for Kreider. That's just me connecting dots. I think this was the better long term move for franchise.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Pretty much every talking head is in agreement that not only is Arizona on Kessel's list, but it's at the very top.

Reactions: CC96

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Same with Pavelski I think. It doesn't sound like Arizona is on the tour list.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Rutherford is antsy to make a move:

It’s currently unknown which players are being dangled by Rutherford, but there is no question that the general manager is attempting to deal Phil Kessel. Rutherford had a trade in place with Minnesota in May but Kessel vetoed it. While Rutherford has acknowledged recently that there’s a very good chance Kessel will be on the Penguins’ roster when training camp begins in September, this doesn’t mean that he still isn’t attempting to deal him.

Kessel counts for $6.8 million against the salary cap and, were the Penguins able to get him off of their books, they’d have considerably more flexibility moving forward. It also would help rid the Penguins of a potential distraction, as it remains unclear how Kessel would handle playing for a franchise that is actively attempting to move him.

The free agency signing period begins at noon July 1. Rutherford ideally would like to have given the Penguins a different looking roster by then.

Penguins trade talks are 'heating up' as Jim Rutherford...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad