Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I dont think Kessel was a QB of the pitt PP. When I saw the games he was on the left side. He was part of a brilliant group of world class offensive players. If anything Malkin was the guy who'd I call a QB.
Nevertheless I think Kessel will really help.
Kessel played most games as 1st unit QB. Malkin also got that assignment but not as often as Phil.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Of the top 20 power play point producers last season almost none are slap shot from the point guys. That type of player is going the way of the dodo bird as no players want to stand in front while a wild slapper comes flying in. It's now about moving the puck and if it's a shot from the point it is shot with a more accurate wrister or snapper. There are a few exceptions but most of those are older players.
I agree. You have to try and get the goalie to move side to side.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
And with the move towards fleet defenders, few have that 95 mph slap shot. It's a combination of changing philosophy and changing defensemen.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
And with the move towards fleet defenders, few have that 95 mph slap shot. It's a combination of changing philosophy and changing defensemen.
I think its changed because players are so much better at blocking shots, by the time you wind up, a guy is in front of you, and you have less control of the direction os the shot. Just getting the puck through is more important, screens and tip ins are more likely if your on net.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I miss the slap shot. They are so unpredictable with the sticks the players use now a days.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think another factor in play is that if you break your stick on the point slapshot on the PP, you've killed all that time or worst case set up a chance going the other way.
Slapshots got harder with the new composite sticks, but they are so flimsy compared to the wooden ones.
Not just on the PP, but in general, you aren't seeing slappers nearly as often anymore.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Kessel played most games as 1st unit QB. Malkin also got that assignment but not as often as Phil.
So you think Kessel drove the play on a power play that had Crosby and Malkin on it?
i think Kessel benefited the most of any player that had crosby and Malkin on it.
He wont have that luxury here but surely he will help it a lot.
I"m guessing theyll put Keller on the right side to QB the unit much like Malkin. Even if he is right handed. Maybe Schmaltz dow low.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So you think Kessel drove the play on a power play that had Crosby and Malkin on it?
i think Kessel benefited the most of any player that had crosby and Malkin on it.
He wont have that luxury here but surely he will help it a lot.
I"m guessing theyll put Keller on the right side to QB the unit much like Malkin. Even if he is right handed. Maybe Schmaltz dow low.
Maybe you arent familiar with the term QB, it's the D man that controls the power play. That us pretty much never Crosby and probably won't be Keller. It was Kessel, Malkin, and Letang at various times in Pitt.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Whenever I watched Pitt Letang was the QB, Kessel was around the faceoff circle ready to shoot. I suspect we'll use Kessel in a similar way with OEL being the QB. Other than that I have no idea what we'll do. Could use several different combos of 4 forwards or could have Chychrun out there too. I think our team, if healthy, is too good to have a lousy PP. If our PP is near the bottom of the league by Christmas the PP coach should be fired. We're small and skilled up front with a bunch of puck moving dmen, the PP needs to be a strength of the team.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Maybe you arent familiar with the term QB, it's the D man that controls the power play. That us pretty much never Crosby and probably won't be Keller. It was Kessel, Malkin, and Letang at various times in Pitt.
I played junior hockey and coached and scouted. I might have an idea ? :)

From the games i saw it was Malkin. But makes sense that Letang would do it. Surprised it was ever Kessel , he doesnt handle the puck as well . But I admit I didnt watch that many of their games.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Whenever I watched Pitt Letang was the QB, Kessel was around the faceoff circle ready to shoot. I suspect we'll use Kessel in a similar way with OEL being the QB. Other than that I have no idea what we'll do. Could use several different combos of 4 forwards or could have Chychrun out there too. I think our team, if healthy, is too good to have a lousy PP. If our PP is near the bottom of the league by Christmas the PP coach should be fired. We're small and skilled up front with a bunch of puck moving dmen, the PP needs to be a strength of the team.
It might take a while to find the chemistry.
Montreal had Shea Weber with the booming shot. They had Drouin who can really pass the puck. They had Domi. And the worst PP or near worst . either them or Nashville.
So we'll see how it works. I think Kessel is a great pickup for the power play though.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

From the games i saw it was Malkin. But makes sense that Letang would do it. Surprised it was ever Kessel , he doesnt handle the puck as well . But I admit I didnt watch that many of their games.
Seems strange then that you suggested Crosby??

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It might take a while to find the chemistry.
Montreal had Shea Weber with the booming shot. They had Drouin who can really pass the puck. They had Domi. And the worst PP or near worst . either them or Nashville.
So we'll see how it works. I think Kessel is a great pickup for the power play though.
Only speaking for the PP...

I think OEL is better than Weber, Kessel is better than Domi, and Keller is much better than Drouin. Don't think we should be comparing ourselves to the Habs. Price carries them.

Outside of Kessel our guys have played together so chemistry shouldn't be an issue. By Christmas the PP should be strength and not a weakness by next year. That's plenty of time to get used one new guy.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

That’s very interesting! Which junior team did you play for? Which team did you scout? We once had a regular here several years ago that was a late round NHL draft pick a long time ago. We have a regular today that played as high up as the WHL, iirc.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just my $0.02 worth.....

Crosby, Malkin and Kessel could all pass the puck or generate something on their own, with Kessel being the least skilled of the three in those areas, but Kessel made up for it with his shot. Didn’t really matter who was QBing the power play. They were a three headed monster.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I understand what you mean. I just meant it would be unusual for a guy like Kessel to be QB on a PP unit that includes Crosby and Malkin. I wasn't implying Crosby was the QB. But the term is so silly anyway. Who drives the Pitt PP? From what I gathered it was a great combination of talent. And Kessel was a big part of that. The only PP I saw that was perhaps better or at least as good is the Washington one.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I understand what you mean. I just meant it would be unusual for a guy like Kessel to be QB on a PP unit that includes Crosby and Malkin. I wasn't implying Crosby was the QB. But the term is so silly anyway. Who drives the Pitt PP? From what I gathered it was a great combination of talent. And Kessel was a big part of that. The only PP I saw that was perhaps better or at least as good is the Washington one.
That’s very interesting! Which junior team did you play for? Which team did you scout? We once had a regular here several years ago that was a late round NHL draft pick a long time ago. We have a regular today that played as high up as the WHL, iirc.
I played for the Fort William Canadians in Thunder bay.
I coached my sons teams for 8 years.
I was the Northern Ontario scout for one of the Western States hockey teams.

Reactions: rt

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I played for the Fort William Canadians in Thunder bay.
I coached my sons teams for 8 years.
I was the Northern Ontario scout for one of the Western States hockey teams.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
sorry boys my computer went nuts.

how do you delete posts.

Another question how do you "like" posts. I don't see that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad