OT: 2019 NHL Playoff Discussion

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that we should go back to our he smaller crease and strictly enforce the crease rule.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
We just watched what could happen.

Tampa has a roster is world 's better than ours, but we just watched what happened to physically small, weak, and soft teams that were much better than us. Tampa just got swept.

Calgary has a better roster, Gaudreau is a better player than anyone on our team and he was completely neutralized. This better team was also easily eliminated despite strong goaltending.

What is the source for this unbounding optimism? Our own Cinderella run was a heavy team built to grind it out backed by stellar goaltending. Weak, soft teams aren't Cinderella teams often. Maybe ever. Name one. Anyone?
We are small, but not as soft imo as many seem to think. Regardless, you make a great point and the physicality has always been and will always be ramped up in the playoffs and that is great. What isn't great is the allowing of obstruction that is not allowed during the regular season. Calgary came in a little cold, but Smith was stellar, the physicality had nothing to do with their demise. It was a combination of Calgary having cooled, a little too much leaniency by the officials and most of all a hot Colorado team that distinguished their dreams.

Reactions: cobra427

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Good post, seems to me it would have been easy enough for the broadcast team to remind the viewers..... hell, seems to me it's their job.
I actually would prefer if there are reviews of goals that the League just do it after every goal. Take a commercial break and get it right rather than put the onus on coach. Or drop replay altogether. Either do it openly for every one or leave it to human error. And FFS put a time limit on the offside. A minute after a 1/4 inch offside just doesn't make sense.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We are small, but not as soft imo as many seem to think. Regardless, you make a great point and the physicality has always been and will always be ramped up in the playoffs and that is great. What isn't great is the allowing of obstruction that is not allowed during the regular season. Calgary came in a little cold, but Smith was stellar, the physicality had nothing to do with their demise. It was a combination of Calgary having cooled, a little too much leaniency by the officials and most of all a hot Colorado team that distinguished their dreams.
NHL officiating has been crappy for years, so you have to hope and pray that it won't decide an out come of a game. I think the physicality had a big part of shutting down the Monahan line. Johnny the midget, was hit, slashed, held, pushed every second on the ice. Colorado got him off his game for most of the series. That line did nothing. All Johnny could do was shake his head and complain like a little baby. Welcome to NHL playoffs. Full marks to Colorado.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
NHL officiating has been crappy for years, so you have to hope and pray that it won't decide an out come of a game. I think the physicality had a big part of shutting down the Monahan line. Johnny the midget, was hit, slashed, held, pushed every second on the ice. Colorado got him off his game for most of the series. That line did nothing. All Johnny could do was shake his head and complain like a little baby. Welcome to NHL playoffs. Full marks to Colorado.
The Leafs Bruins series has seen a huge difference in what is called from game to game. Free for all favors Bruins while rulebook favors Leafs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I actually would prefer if there are reviews of goals that the League just do it after every goal. Take a commercial break and get it right rather than put the onus on coach. Or drop replay altogether. Either do it openly for every one or leave it to human error. And FFS put a time limit on the offside. A minute after a 1/4 inch offside just doesn't make sense.
Drop the replay. It is starting to slow the game down.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Officials always swallow their whistles for the postseason. Nothing has changed. We would be inept in the postseason for the same reasons Tampa and Gaudreau were. Our GM has filled the roster with less-talented Gaudreau clones while he says "I think we would have been a good playoff team if we'd made it". I don't think he's ever watched a playoff game. Or he's a terrible liar. I think both, really.

Last edited:

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
One area of officiating that is extremely inconsistent.

In this game from December, you see Matthews drive a Devil into the netminder, taking him out of the play. How does that stand?

Last night Hyman backs into Rask, and is still making contact when Matthews shoots. Clearly interfered with. The overhead view gives the best perspective.

The boys on the Spittin Chiclets podcast went over this and I have to agree with them, the review booth does so much assuming that they don't think about the rules. Like they're assuming that Rask wouldn't have made the save even if he didn't get interfered with. That's the worst.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
NHL officiating has been crappy for years, so you have to hope and pray that it won't decide an out come of a game.

NHL officiating is not "crappy" in the same way other sports' officiating (NBA, NFL, etc.) are "crappy." NHL officials have long operated on the assumption that they are as much participants in the game as the players, rather than just being observers and monitors. As such, they are about five times as subjective as officials in any other sport. They feel it's their job to create a good flow to the game rather than call every infraction, and unless there is incontrovertible evidence to contradict them, they're going to call the game based on their own biases - which, coincidentally, generally follow the same thinking as the rest of the NHL's old school.

It's part of the reason why this sport so doggedly hangs onto outdated thinking.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Slashing and holding are penalties. They should have been called. What's the point of building a skilled team that includes small players and all they have to offer, if only to tilt the ice away from them in the playoffs?
Edit: Don't agree on the officiating being crappy at all, in fact they do an excellent job overall... all things considered.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
i would prefer they drop all challenges altogether.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Officials always swallow their whistles for the postseason. Nothing has changed. We would be inept in the postseason for the same reasons Tampa and Gaudreau were. Our GM has filled the roster with less-talented Gaudreau clones while he says "I think we would have been a good playoff teateam if we'd made it". I don't think he's ever watched a playoff game. Or he's a terrible liar. I think both, really.
That's just it, it needs to change. Otherwise GM's will be forced to excluding the smaller talent.
I'm 6'3" and over 200 Lbs., played at just under that weight myself and have always felt it was a disservice to the game to not have the smaller players suiting up.
Edit: I only add that to show there is no Napoleon complex in my viewpoint.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Schwartz scores again, and again, and again, and fans throw shit at him. That ain't right.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Blues are closest thing i have to a home town team...so go St Louie!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad