OT: 2019 NHL Playoff Discussion

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I had thought about all the UFA's on the CBJ roster. Scottie Bowman always said, give me 25 guys in their option year. I think it had an effect, certain CBJ players had a lot more riding on their own play, their next contracts depended on it. That and anything can happen, a perfect storm.
It usually doesnt work throwing a bunch of guys together. But if you look at Colombus the core group their was what led them. They have a tough D and my biggest issue with them was I wouldnt trust their goalie.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Many congrats to Jarmo Kekäläinen. The bravest, boldest trade deadline decisions I can remember have been rewarded.

Those Blue Jackets could have played the Lightning another couple of games and they might have won those too, such was the difference.

A brilliant series by Columbus, let's see if they can keep it going. They have all the ingredients for a long run.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Blowing a 2-0 lead with 12 minutes to play can't sit well with Flames fans, but Smitty played well with 49 saves.

Teams that surged at the end of the season are looking good. I think next year I'll base my bracket on how a team played the final 20 games of the season.

Except for the Coyotes of course. My bracket will have them going all the way!

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Very curious to see what sort of extension Mike Smith gets in Calgary.

At age 37 I'm not sure I would offer anything. As an old guy myself, I know how you lose elasticity and are more prone to injuries. He's playing well right now, but lots of young goalie talent out there.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well, considering that you never know whether you'll get the 50-save Smitty or the .890 SV% Smitty, maybe they should just draw amounts out of a hat.
5th in save % for playoffs at .931, he is playing very well. He is 37 and injury prone, they have another solid goal tender, I don't think he stays in Calgary. Smith likely gets a 1 year, max 2 year deal from somebody as a back up.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Blues were good in every areas and demonstrated again extreme resiliency. Impressive.

Had a look at Canes-Caps and was a bit underwhelmed by both teams on that one. Not sharp hockey, but that might have been just that one game. It feels that this series could go 7.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
He will always have "incredible reach" because he's 6'9. But he's slow as hell and he's just about done. They should be limiting his minutes.
I'm one of the Boston fans who believes that once Chara retires, we'll miss him more than we think. I'd like to see his minutes reduced but I don't think there's another player in the league who can do the same things that he does in terms defensive positioning and intimidation. He's also an extremely valuable leader, look at the recent World Cup in 2016 and how Europe did. I'd take him on Arizona in a heart beat to play the third pairing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Smith Score.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad