OT: 2019 NHL Playoff Discussion

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Officials always swallow their whistles for the postseason. Nothing has changed. We would be inept in the postseason for the same reasons Tampa and Gaudreau were. Our GM has filled the roster with less-talented Gaudreau clones while he says "I think we would have been a good playoff team if we'd made it". I don't think he's ever watched a playoff game. Or he's a terrible liar. I think both, really.
Most you guys wanted flash and dash, and you got it. I think you can have smaller players, but there are so few of the Marner's, Marchand of the world. The Coyotes definitely need more muscle with speed. Not sure who you mean when you said Gaudreau clones, but he is a midget with no piss and vinegar. At least most of our small guys have piss and vinegar, but less talent.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Slashing and holding are penalties. They should have been called. What's the point of building a skilled team that includes small players and all they have to offer, if only to tilt the ice away from them in the playoffs?
Edit: Don't agree on the officiating being crappy at all, in fact they do an excellent job overall... all things considered.
Slashing and holding penalties today are light years away from the same penalties years ago. You tap someone and it's slashing etc. Let the boys play the game. NHL has turned into a bunch of figure skaters on ice. I guess what I mean by crappy is what they are told to call and do call, but it goes to extremes. It's like, don't you dare touch the talent or it's as penalty. The NHL wants entertainment, the more flash and dash the better, then when it get's to the playoffs and the games are starting to resemble old time hockey everyone gets upset. Half the penalties in the NHL shouldn't have been called in the first place.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Slashing and holding penalties today are light years away from the same penalties years ago. You tap someone and it's slashing etc. Let the boys play the game. NHL has turned into a bunch of figure skaters on ice. I guess what I mean by crappy is what they are told to call and do call, but it goes to extremes. It's like, don't you dare touch the talent or it's as penalty. The NHL wants entertainment, the more flash and dash the better, then when it get's to the playoffs and the games are starting to resemble old time hockey everyone gets upset. Half the penalties in the NHL shouldn't have been called in the first place.
Rules is rules 'Falf and your exaggerations offer little to the discussion, after all: we all understand, you're a bad az.
Enjoy your Easter and try not to run over any of the grandkids during the hunt! :laugh:

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's just it, it needs to change. Otherwise GM's will be forced to excluding the smaller talent.
I'm 6'3" and over 200 Lbs., played at just under that weight myself and have always felt it was a disservice to the game to not have the smaller players suiting up.
Edit: I only add that to show there is no Napoleon complex in my viewpoint.
The smaller players are getting the benefit of the doubt more times than not. If you are too small for hockey there is always figure skating. One of the reason hitting has left the game is because players are scared to get a penalty. Almost every game there is a replay to see if it was a head shot or not. NHL sells entertainment and they think that is dash and flash. Everyone says they love playoff hockey and it's because there is some kind of resemblance of the way the game should be played.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Rules is rules 'Falf and your exaggerations offer little to the discussion, after all: we all understand, you're a bad az.
Enjoy your Easter and try not to run over any of the grandkids during the hunt! :laugh:
Rules are rules. Then why don't they call cross checking in front of the goalies? It happens every game. Happy Easter back at ya.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The smaller players are getting the benefit of the doubt more times than not. If you are too small for hockey there is always figure skating. One of the reason hitting has left the game is because players are scared to get a penalty. Almost every game there is a replay to see if it was a head shot or not. NHL sells entertainment and they think that is dash and flash. Everyone says they love playoff hockey and it's because there is some kind of resemblance of the way the game should be played.
Momma' snot gonna let little Johnny play hockey if he's gonna get concussed, these days. These changes are about the games very survival. This sport is way too expensive to go the way of boxing. The one thing you can't change is change and that's the reality. IMO the sport is greater than the loss of some of its traditional pieces.
Veering way off topic here, but my original point was to question how teams are constructed. Building a team to win in the regular season should more closely resemble a team built for the playoffs, or we're going to leave out skilled guys that are actually hockey players.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Rules are rules. Then why don't they call cross checking in front of the goalies? It happens every game. Happy Easter back at ya.

They usually do if the guy gets knocked down. Enforcing the rule that way just encourages diving.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
NHL officiating has been crappy for years, so you have to hope and pray that it won't decide an out come of a game. I think the physicality had a big part of shutting down the Monahan line. Johnny the midget, was hit, slashed, held, pushed every second on the ice. Colorado got him off his game for most of the series. That line did nothing. All Johnny could do was shake his head and complain like a little baby. Welcome to NHL playoffs. Full marks to Colorado.
He had 3 break aways in one game alone that I watched, he just didn't convert, maybe a little snake bit. Had he scored, it might have made a difference. Keep in mind that Colorado made the playoffs last year and knew what it was going to be like. Calgary missed last year, so experience could have been a factor as well. Its not the officiating or physicality, its the speed of the game and razor sharp shots/saves/decisions that make the difference in a 4 to 7 game stretch.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
He had 3 break aways in one game alone that I watched, he just didn't convert, maybe a little snake bit. Had he scored, it might have made a difference. Keep in mind that Colorado made the playoffs last year and knew what it was going to be like. Calgary missed last year, so experience could have been a factor as well. Its not the officiating or physicality, its the speed of the game and razor sharp shots/saves/decisions that make the difference in a 4 to 7 game stretch.
He was often obstructed in prior games.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Most you guys wanted flash and dash, and you got it. I think you can have smaller players, but there are so few of the Marner's, Marchand of the world. The Coyotes definitely need more muscle with speed. Not sure who you mean when you said Gaudreau clones, but he is a midget with no piss and vinegar. At least most of our small guys have piss and vinegar, but less talent.
What team have you been watching? This team rolls over. Zero pushback from 90% of this roster.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You are right, everything matters in a short series. There is not much room for error. Playoff hockey is much more physical than during the year, and the teams play that way for a reason. Love playoff hockey.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Momma' snot gonna let little Johnny play hockey if he's gonna get concussed, these days. These changes are about the games very survival. This sport is way too expensive to go the way of boxing. The one thing you can't change is change and that's the reality. IMO the sport is greater than the loss of some of its traditional pieces.
Veering way off topic here, but my original point was to question how teams are constructed. Building a team to win in the regular season should more closely resemble a team built for the playoffs, or we're going to leave out skilled guys that are actually hockey players.
Well, then tell little Johnny to take up figure skating. Every sport there is a pretty good chance you will have an injury. You don't think teams play, or try to play Kane extra physical in the playoffs. The good players adapt. The NHL has changed a lot, much to do with injuries and the lawsuits. Most every year there are upsets in the first round for various reasons, and if physicality is part of it so be it. Why do you think people love watching NHL playoffs.

Reactions: RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I can't remember a playoff OT ending with a shorty. Flower probably should have had it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
First thought - Tampa didn't have enough size. A winning team doesn't have to be big and heavy, like the old Kings or the Winnipeg Jets, but it has to have a few skilled bangers who can play tough defense and the power forward position. There needs to be a mix.

Second thought - The goalie interference reviews stink. My thought is to go back to the old small crease, and strictly enforce the crease rule. If the replay shows the tip of a blade in the crease, goal is disallowed. That way the players can adjust and work with a rule which is easily consistently enforced. Enough of this interpretation nonsense from the Toronto review room.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
First thought - Tampa didn't have enough size. A winning team doesn't have to be big and heavy, like the old Kings or the Winnipeg Jets, but it has to have a few skilled bangers who can play tough defense and the power forward position. There needs to be a mix.

Second thought - The goalie interference reviews stink. My thought is to go back to the old small crease, and strictly enforce the crease rule. If the replay shows the tip of a blade in the crease, goal is disallowed. That way the players can adjust and work with a rule which is easily consistently enforced. Enough of this interpretation nonsense from the Toronto review room.

Why not just have a NO contact with the goalie while in the crease rule? It would also remove the interpretation piece of it, except when trying to determine if the opposing player was pushed into the goalie or did it on his own. If you use this rule then there is no requirement to make a judgment call about whether or not the goalie had time to recover to make the save.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not sure a crease rule is the way to go. Remember Stars/Sabres in the finals and Brett Hull's GWG.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Why not just have a NO contact with the goalie while in the crease rule? It would also remove the interpretation piece of it, except when trying to determine if the opposing player was pushed into the goalie or did it on his own. If you use this rule then there is no requirement to make a judgment call about whether or not the goalie had time to recover to make the save.

I think it would be interesting to have a "secondary" crease line, where there would be the normal crease, and then an additional 4-6" crease line inside of that. Basically, if any opposing forward has a skate within the "inner crease," the goal is automatically disallowed. If the opposing skate is in between the crease and the 4-6" outer crease, that could trigger a goalie interference review, however, it would not change the way that the goal is reviewed by Toronto.

Almost the reverse of how the NBA does the charging rule. If both feet are outside of the semi-circle, then it is a charge. It would just create a definitive mark of where a player could be relative to the crease.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Well, then tell little Johnny to take up figure skating. Every sport there is a pretty good chance you will have an injury. You don't think teams play, or try to play Kane extra physical in the playoffs. The good players adapt. The NHL has changed a lot, much to do with injuries and the lawsuits. Most every year there are upsets in the first round for various reasons, and if physicality is part of it so be it. Why do you think people love watching NHL playoffs.
Again, I'm not talking about physical play jakey, I'm talking about obstruction. You keep bringing up physical play and complaining about a lack thereof. I merely attempted to explain reality to you, if you can't accept that, I don't know what else I can do for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad