OT: 2019 NHL Playoff Discussion

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I've noticed notably more bars and restaurants playing hockey games this year, pretty much was always on at least a couple of tv's at most chain places I've been at.

Reactions: CC96

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It was a very physical series from my viewpoint. How much did the Blues size help them, and do the Coyotes have a chance with our roster of pipsqueaks?

YTPlf95.png

I harped on this a lot this season. We got pushed around and knocked on our asses all season long. And that was the tame by comparison regular season. We can find ice time for our tiny tots, but we also need some size to complement them and make room. Watching Schmaltz and Keller completely neutralized and then victimized at even strength, was (or should have been) a big red flag for our current roster make up.

That's why I laughed everytime people said we could make noise in the post if we managed to sneak in. Admittedly, it's been a long time since we've seen playoff hockey here, but this team is not built for the grind.

I'm not terribly excited about our leadership/professionalism or mental resilience either, so I'm more open than most to "blowing it
up", and reshaping/retooling or whatever we would call it. Having cash with new ownership would make that easier, for sure.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I harped on this a lot this season. We got pushed around and knocked on our asses all season long. And that was the tame by comparison regular season. We can find ice time for our tiny tots, but we also need some size to complement them and make room. Watching Schmaltz and Keller completely neutralized and then victimized at even strength, was (or should have been) a big red flag for our current roster make up.

That's why I laughed everytime people said we could make noise in the post if we managed to sneak in. Admittedly, it's been a long time since we've seen playoff hockey here, but this team is not built for the grind.

I'm not terribly excited about our leadership/professionalism or mental resilience either, so I'm more open than most to "blowing it
up", and reshaping/retooling or whatever we would call it. Having cash with new ownership would make that easier, for sure.
We need to add size, most of us know that, but blowing it up is going a bit far. We have a nice nucleus here, just have to add some muscle and have our current muscle start playing their size. Tweaking yes, blowing it up, no way.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We have more actual NHL players now, but I'm not sure "the core" is a nucleus for a successful team.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
We have more actual NHL players now, but I'm not sure "the core" is a nucleus for a successful team.

I'd disagree, but only if Meruelo comes through and will spend money. I'm going to leave the 'X' where I think we need to add.

Keller-X-Schmaltz
I still see a 70-80 point player in Keller with the right linemates. Tarasenko cieling. Schmatlz isn't far off but is a more complementry player.

Gally-Dvo-X
Gally depends on re-signing him but is a gifted goalscored and a 1st line tweener. Right linemates will let him excel, as long as we can re-sign him, he is the type of player you don't let go. A top 6 player who flashes top line skill. Dvo is still a mystery but is a solid 3C already. If he becomes a faster Stepan in his prime clone there doesn't need to be anything else said. Really need another top 6 here.

Crouse-Hayton-Hino
Crouse still has top 6 upside. Has the ability to be the new "desired" style of player in the NHL where he is a speedy, dumpster truck who can hit and score. It's a rare talent, but may top off at 30 points instead of 50+. Hino is a TyJo/Gourde clone with the right linemates and lineup fits. Hayton works here at the VERY least.

X-X-Garland

I'm just trying to include the "core" and Granber won't be part of that, not Ritchie. Garland could be. He may also be able to hit the top 6, or be cut entirely either way his development will be interesting and unexpected.

What I'm drunkenly getting at is you fill the right players into those X's and the forward lineup starts to look tough to play against. We have too much speedy skill players, but not enough Crouses. That can be supplemented in the X spots. I think it's a good core because of depth rather than top end skill. Blues not Tampa.

Without an owner with money those X's are more Grabners and Ritchie's, with one those are Duchene's and Zucker's.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The guys you need two be successful with the pieces you leave will make all those X's at top the core players.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The guys you need two be successful with the pieces you leave will make all those X's at top the core players.

I wouldn't consider adding Zucker a core piece. But he would also give us a deadly 2nd line. I feel some of the X's are UFA types that come and go, but flesh out the line up and help keep our own players.

Zucker could come in for two years, light it up with DVO and Keller but is moved to make cap room because we sign an even better top six UFA.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad