Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I am at the airport and my flight has been delayed 3 hours, I am going to watch usa vs finland in entirety and then canada vs sweden and check out the top prospects

Do yourself a favor and just skip that game. USA domination all the way, not really an entertaining game at all...

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
It will stop coming up if Ritchie turns the corner this year as most power forwards do at his age....

Ritchie was the consensous 6th overall pick at the TSN List. The Ducks missed a lot of players throught the drafts, like other teams as well.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras is easily the best passer in the draft. The guy oozes skill he receives passes in full motion anywhere around his body. Downsides he gets pushed against boards and can't do much, he loves turn around passes (ala getzlaf) all his passes are tape to tape and he put everyone in a good place to get a shot or chance off. Every stride he takes with the puck he sends misdirection like he could pass every single stride.

Boldy, smart smart player. Size but has a lot of skill. Downsides his first stride and turning first stride (reminds me of Patrick maroon) is real ugly. Once he gets going he is pretty fast but when he is turning from looking one way to another it's ugly

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Zegras is easily the best passer in the draft. The guy oozes skill he receives passes in full motion anywhere around his body. Downsides he gets pushed against boards and can't do much, he loves turn around passes (ala getzlaf) all his passes are tape to tape and he put everyone in a good place to get a shot or chance off. Every stride he takes with the puck he sends misdirection like he could pass every single stride.

Boldy, smart smart player. Size but has a lot of skill. Downsides his first stride and turning first stride (reminds me of Patrick maroon) is real ugly. Once he gets going he is pretty fast but when he is turning from looking one way to another it's ugly

Yikes, that would appear to be a red flag... a Silfverberg type of winger that isn't as good at skating? I wouldn't even call Silver a good skater, just above average and strong on his skates. I'd be more interested in a high-end skater who can finish.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Yikes, that would appear to be a red flag... a Silfverberg type of winger that isn't as good at skating? I wouldn't even call Silver a good skater, just above average and strong on his skates. I'd be more interested in a high-end skater who can finish.
I watched 1 full game but his starts and turns give me a Patrick maroon like start (stiff and awkward) seems like he just grew into his body or something. I would avoid caufield from the viewing he didn't do much when he wasn't shooting.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Not sure why this keeps being parroted. The BPA is determined by each individual team and organizational need will absolutely be included in each teams equation. Not only that, but a teams BPA list will be fluid up to the draft. Maybe a guy interviews poorly. Maybe he has a ****ty performance at the combine. Everything is included.
My reason for saying it was in response to someone asking if we should change who we draft if Steel and the Gulls look good in the next month. For sure the draft evaluations are subject to potential adjustments up until the draft (though it shouldn't be drastic). But basing who we draft on how a current AHL prospect looks over a very short period is not logical.

Players develop at their own pace. Unless you're drafting 1 or maybe 2, nobody knows how long it will take any player to develop. The guy you draft today may not make the team for 2-3 years and may not be an impact player for 5-6 years. Who knows who will still be on your team when this year's pick is making an impact. That's why you try to pick the BPA and not worry what position they play. A strength on your team today may be a weakness in 3-5 years and vice versa. But if two guys are a coin toss apart then sure let position factor in if you want.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
#9 overall picks from the last 10 drafts:

2009: Jared Cowen
2010: Mikael Granlund
2011: Dougie Hamilton
2012: Jacob Trouba
2013: Bo Horvat
2014: Nikolaj Ehlers
2015: Timo Meier
2016: Mikhail Sergachev
2017: Michael Rasmussen
2018: Vitali Kravtsov

Not sure how much this means, just thought it was interesting to see. Other than Cowen, all pretty good players there (jury still out on Rasmussen/Kravtsov obviously.

Not a single true star player though, although Meier and Sergachev have that potential still

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
#9 overall picks from the last 10 drafts:

2009: Jared Cowen
2010: Mikael Granlund
2011: Dougie Hamilton
2012: Jacob Trouba
2013: Bo Horvat
2014: Nikolaj Ehlers
2015: Timo Meier
2016: Mikhail Sergachev
2017: Michael Rasmussen
2018: Vitali Kravtsov

Not sure how much this means, just thought it was interesting to see. Other than Cowen, all pretty good players there (jury still out on Rasmussen/Kravtsov obviously.

Not a single true star player though, although Meier and Sergachev have that potential still
It doesn't mean much. The range is more meaningful than the individual spot. Even then, all it tells you is the general likelihood of pulling a good/great player. With a scouting department that's among the best in the league, the odds are probably better than that, but it depends on the depth of the draft, too.

I remember back when the 2012 draft was looming, some other fans that wanted us to trade the pick to them - I think it was the Flyers fans - and they listed all the players picked in that spot up until that draft and it was lackluster. We still drafted one of the best players in that draft. It's a good lesson in minding the nature of averages; a lesson that I've found helpful outside of hockey as well. Trends like that paint a general picture, but they don't provide context or make specific predictions.

Reactions: The Baffled King

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I hope we get a playmaker. We don't have much creativity up front. I feel like Getzlaf is our only pass-first player at the moment. Steel/Terry may be as well, but they are young still.

And a player drafted in 2019 will not be young?

Reactions: Deuce22

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I don't care what position... I just want BM to stay out of the decision making since this is a high pick... otherwise he might force a Richie over Larkin decision...

I want to get the BPA method and trust our scouts more than BM.

Please stop spreading this rumor with zero basis other then you "heard it from a guy".

There is zero evidence that Bob went against the scouts when he took Ritchie. It doesnt make it more true if you keep posting it.

EDIT: His posts spreading this rumor should be deleted IMO.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Last draft, if Lundestrom fell, then he was the Ducks' worst kept secret! So many Duck fans predicted that Lundestrom would be the preferred Ducks pick. Even at Anaheim Calling site, they do hate GM Bob a lot, but also know his tendency to where their posters had a feeling Lundestrom would be the pick if he fell in the draft. LoL

Welp, the way this is shaping up, if Cozens is picked up, then I can see Broberg getting picked (even getting picked over Soderstrom) by the Ducks. The U18 tourney showed off Broberg against his age peers as opposed to playing against men in the AIK.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
A mock has us taking this guy with our 2nd first round pick

RHD with a pro level shot.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Krebs, Dach and Byram were the top 3 picks in the 2016 WHL draft. Robertson was 7th and Cozens 19th. Kudos to those teamss for nailing their picks - the WHL drafts its players a year earlier than the other two CHL leagues as well.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'll take Turcotte over Dach, i don't care that Dach fits with current Ducks mold they need to start getting faster & picking him accelerates that. Jones/Turcotte/Kase could be a great line someday.
I also think Turcotte is BPA over Dach as well.
Ducks won a Cup with a Speedy Center named Andy McDonald in an era that was still very physical, McDonald was like what 5'9 ?

Reactions: 11Justin93

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Ducks won a Cup with a Speedy Center named Andy McDonald in an era that was still very physical, McDonald was like what 5'9 ?

The Ducks had the Pahlsson line back then and two HoF defender in their prime. Andy Mac was a good one but not the driving force on that team.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Too bad Ehlers didn't drop to Anaheim, he'd fit in perfectly here. 0 goals and 7 assists in 21 playoff games :laugh:

Playoffs show that grit and compete are critical even from the highest skilled players. I can’t think of any soft players doing well right now... probably a key characteristic for our draft targets.

It’s interesting to see how certain teams have built around key traits and finally reaping the reward. Dallas loves their power forwards and skilled dmen. Columbus loves character and athletes. Ducks have been focused on skilled dmen.

Interesting article about success rates by team:
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-ranking-decade-draft-results/

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojans86

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I'll take Turcotte over Dach, i don't care that Dach fits with current Ducks mold they need to start getting faster & picking him accelerates that. Jones/Turcotte/Kase could be a great line someday.
Mcdonald was surrounded by a team full of imposing physical players helping small skill players feel safe not the likes of Sherwood, Rowney, Street, Gibbons etc

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

And Kirby Dach-esque center Ryan Getzlaf led them in scoring and ice time among forwards during those playoffs.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The Ducks had the Pahlsson line back then and two HoF defender in their prime. Andy Mac was a good one but not the driving force on that team.
Selanne had an under-appreciated ability to raise the game of his linemates. Zhamnov, Rooch, Kariya, Ricci, Marleau, Mac, Lehtinen, even Andrew Ebbett and Drew Miller. For a sniper he was a pretty damn selfless player.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
but we are now in 2019 not 2007.
Except I don't think anyone would be concerned with Getzlaf because he's adapted pretty well to the faster era. If Dach can slow the game down like Getzlaf can, and if he can move through the offensive zone by just sticking his butt in between the puck and the defender the entire time, then I don't think his mediocre skating will be much of an issue, given the fact that I think his IQ and overall level of offensive skill has a sizable edge over Turcotte's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad